Why become a member? ×

Bass Intonation Issue

sebowden

Hi Basschat,

A few months ago, I acquired a beautiful '72 AS Fender Mustang bass. The tone is to die for, especially when paired with some D'Addario half-wounds, I am just experiencing some technical difficulties.

Anyway, I have done my best to set her up, plays beautifully in terms of string height, and on the G,D and A strings, the intonation is set perfectly... But when it comes to the E string, I feel like I'm going to explode. the string is in tune open and fretted at 12th, but the rest of the neck is all over the place.

Could this be fixed with a truss rod adjustment? (there's a nice concave bend to it, which minimises the fret buzz I get)
Should I replace the worn frets and set the neck straight? Or is there another way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
SB

Concave neck (relief) is good. Quite staggering fret wear can be ok. My first thought is duff E string (even from new). I struggled to get a bass to intonate correctly until I eventually figured it was a duff new string. It was the only one I have encountered in 44 yrs of bass playing however :)

Other thoughts: Nut slot smooth? put some wax or pencil graphite in it, ball end secure against bridge? Pull string firmly a few times to take any slack out (I have read on the Internet that this is not recommended but has never caused any issues for me).

Last question is how out of tune? Noticeable to hearing or a few dots out on the tuning meter - finger pressure can make notes go sharp on tuning meter.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1440796518' post='2854020']

Last question is how out of tune? Noticeable to hearing or a few dots out on the tuning meter - finger pressure can make notes go sharp on tuning meter.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking. Thinking of fanned frets - the intonation at the frets will be more of an issue on the E than any other string.

Interesting to hear about the experience with duff strings though.

I'd vote for a bad string too, either twisted or it has some slight kinks in it somewhere. It doesn't make sense (to me) that there can be much wrong with the frets if the other strings are intonated correctly right the way along the neck. Check the nut slot depth though, if it's too shallow you'll have issues with the fretted notes nearer the nut. Neck relief should be a slight concave bend, I hope that's what you mean when you say there's a 'nice concave bend' because it's thickness of card territory you're after.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1440799039' post='2854046']
....It doesn't make sense (to me) that there can be much wrong with the frets if the other strings are intonated correctly right the way along the neck. Check the nut slot depth though, if it's too shallow you'll have issues with the fretted notes nearer the nut. Neck relief should be a slight concave bend, I hope that's what you mean when you say there's a 'nice concave bend' because it's thickness of card territory you're after.
[/quote]

Good advice above on nut slot and relief and the sense check is excellent. If the ADG strings are ok the frets / neck / nut / bridge are likely to be spot on. Fender (and other mass market bass builders) have got this down to a fair art.

Thanks for the speedy replies chaps. Much appreciated.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440794493' post='2853995']
You're saying it is in tune when you play the open E string?
And in tune when you fret it at the 12th fret?
[/quote]

Yeah, just as the guides tell you!

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1440796518' post='2854020']
Concave neck (relief) is good. Quite staggering fret wear can be ok. My first thought is duff E string (even from new). I struggled to get a bass to intonate correctly until I eventually figured it was a duff new string. It was the only one I have encountered in 44 yrs of bass playing however :)

Other thoughts: Nut slot smooth? put some wax or pencil graphite in it, ball end secure against bridge? Pull string firmly a few times to take any slack out (I have read on the Internet that this is not recommended but has never caused any issues for me).

[/quote]

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1440799039' post='2854046']
I'd vote for a bad string too, either twisted or it has some slight kinks in it somewhere. It doesn't make sense (to me) that there can be much wrong with the frets if the other strings are intonated correctly right the way along the neck. Check the nut slot depth though, if it's too shallow you'll have issues with the fretted notes nearer the nut. Neck relief should be a slight concave bend, I hope that's what you mean when you say there's a 'nice concave bend' because it's thickness of card territory you're after.
[/quote]

I must admit, I have never heard of 'duff strings' before, ill have to check it out.
I always lube the nut.. maybe it was cut too deep for the E? I tend to tug the strings every time I restring it.
It is more noticeable on some frets then others.. it's even perfect on the 5th fret!

Thanks for the help! I think it may be the nut.

SB

Edited by sebowden

It's more common for the nut slots to be too shallow rather than too deep. When the slot is too shallow you have to push down harder to fret the string at frets near the nut; this will cause intonation problems because you're having to stretch the string to make contact with the fret. One thing I hadn't thought of earlier was the neck might have a slight twist/warp that could affect tuning - does the curvature/relief look the same for the G and the E?

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1440802250' post='2854071']
It's more common for the nut slots to be too shallow rather than too deep. When the slot is too shallow you have to push down harder to fret the string at frets near the nut; this will cause intonation problems because you're having to stretch the string to make contact with the fret. One thing I hadn't thought of earlier was the neck might have a slight twist/warp that could affect tuning - does the curvature/relief look the same for the G and the E?
[/quote]

Ill check it out in the morning, thanks!

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1440840748' post='2854219']
Is the pickup very near the strings - especially on the bass side? If so, lower it a bit. Look up 'stratitis'.

G.
[/quote]

This may be it! sometimes I hear a faint chorus effect on my bass, could this also be due to PU height?

• Like 1

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1440800563' post='2854061']

Why?
[/quote]

I was looking for a video clip to explain the reason. What I found was a good video that explains a lot of what may be the OP problem and why I'm wrong.
Enjoy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX0ta-dg0Tg

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1440867763' post='2854456']
I was looking for a video clip to explain the reason. What I found was a good video that explains a lot of what may be the OP problem and why I'm wrong.
Enjoy
[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SX0ta-dg0Tg"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=SX0ta-dg0Tg[/url]
[/quote]

I do like his vids, always good for discussion!

[quote name='sebowden' timestamp='1440847929' post='2854296']

This may be it! sometimes I hear a faint chorus effect on my bass, could this also be due to PU height?
[/quote]
Yes 100%, the chorus thing is exactly what you get with single coil pups too close, and will affect the intonation too. Good News, easy fix!

• 4 years later...

Just got a new special edition mustang bass. I have innotated many basses, never had a problem til now. My problem is exactly like the one on here. Innotation is all over the place. I innotated the e string yesterday and is off today. Looked on fender website. I think they are using long scale strings on these. Fender 7250m i think it said. I ordered some chrome short scale flatwounds today. I am glad to see it might work. Tuning machines are too touchy also. I might try to find a replacement for them. I love the looks of the all black special edition mustang.  I would feel better if it would innotate right. Thanks for the answer to my question.