Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Bass Compact 4 Cab... Gigable as standalone?

Tradfusion

I know its all very subjective, just wondering if anyone uses one of these for gigging as a standalone cab and if so what head you use with it, how if fares in the volume/tone dept etc... My regular gig is a 4 piece covers band, bass, drums, guitar and keyboards (used sparingly)... mix of tunes, alot of 80's stuff but some rockier things where things get a bit louder etc... Current rig is Kustom KXB500 head and TKS 112 cab... works very well and I have PA support, really just intrigued by the C4 and the price is ok compared to some of the more expensive PJB stuff... any opinions much appreciated.. :)

I have been interested in these PJB C4s myself for a while. I had a PM chat with a member who uses them. It's pasted below.

[b]"Firstly, the C4 cabs are fairly lightweight but when you pick them up the weight seems to be almost all at the front, causing the cab to 'tilt' when carrying so not a comfortable job. The sound fantastic at low volumes, in a fairly small room and using an active bass. However, when driven they tend to 'suck' power from the amp, resulting in you driving the amp harder than you would first think necessary. This power drain is well documented and does tend to indicate that you have to pair the PJ cabs with a PJ amp - which I have tried using the D600. A good sounding combination but, again, I do think they lack a certain oomph when pushed for larger gigs. My honest opinion is that they are great for a studio or small venue setting but nothing more."[/b]

I did try the 300W combo a few years ago in a studio. It had 4 x 5" speakers. While I liked the clear and surprisingly deep sound, I thought it lacked volume when pushed so I didn't buy it. That was about 7 -8 years ago but nowadays I might have bought it as my needs and playing style have changed a bit, hence my interest in the little C4s.

BTW, I was in the Strand Bar a couple of weeks ago. Saw a great 3 girl motown/3 part harmony band. Brakewater Jack I think they are called. Really enjoyed them.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1440859181' post='2854387']

BTW, I was in the Strand Bar a couple of weeks ago. Saw a great 3 girl motown/3 part harmony band. Brakewater Jack I think they are called. Really enjoyed them.

Frank.
[/quote]

Hiya Frank.. long time no see.. hope you are well! That band is called Blackwater Jack and they are very entertaining alright :) .. Yeah I see Thomann have the C4 for €399 at the moment which is an ok price, I've been reading about PJB gear for years now but still have'nt taken the plunge! To be honest from what you say and the quote from the C4 user it really sounds like a niche cab that might work great on some of our acoustic gigs but not so well on the electric ones, unless paired with another C4 and a Phil Jones amp... to do that I'd need to sell some stuff so I'll have to do some hard thinking ;) To be honest if I bought the C4 I was also planning to experiment y pairing it with my current cab (TKS S112 1x12) to see how that sounded but if its the power monster its made out to be that combination might not work too well.. my current amp head is a Kustom KXB500 which is an awesome little piece of kit... dont know how it would match up with the C4 but it sounds great with anything else I've plugged it into... hope we see you in Sligo soon... regards Dave