Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed: Sandberg / Lakland Skyline / Maruszczyk

mal2404

Hey All,
Advice, thoughts, insights and musings would be very welcome to me on this one.
I'm currently looking for a new bass after selling my 70's Classic Series Fender Jazz. The reason I sold it was that I didn't really like the neck (Fender Vintage C type), and also the Pup's were not as punchy as I had hoped. Ok I could have swapped them out but the ticker radius neck never felt as good as I hope in my hands.

So I'm currently looking at the following basses (budget focused) and was wondering if anyone of BC :) had some experience with all or some and would be able to give me some advice or comparison insights. The basses are:

Sandberg Electra TT
Maruszczyk: Elwood or Jake (with P/J configuration)
Lakland Skyline(s) : 44/64 Custom or 44/64 P/J

Overall, I'm wondering how the stack up against each other in terms of playability, tones, build etc.
I also have an '86 Ernie Ball Musicman Ray. So I'm looking for a bass that with a nice "modern flatter neck radius" and have a little more tonal variety than a straight passive P Bass (Not that I don't love this - but would like a little more hence perhaps the P/J pickup might be the answer??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Difficult, if not impossible to play any of the above here in Dublin so feedback very welcome.

Thanks for all,
Graham

I doubt you could go far wrong with any of those choices, they're all really nice basses.

I've not tried the Skyline but I have looked at both Sandberg and Maruszczyk basses over the past month and I found both to be stunning instruments that sounded and played beautifully.

Personally, I chose to go with a Maruszczyk in the end for two reasons:

(1) the price was just amazing. You're getting a top-quality hand built instrument for around the same money as a Fender Mexican P-bass which is just outstanding.

(2) they are fully customisable - Adrian is more than happy to build your bass to any spec you can dream of. You can pick exactly the neck dimensions, inlays, colour, woods, pick-ups, pre-amp etc that you want. The ones on their website are examples but if you can imagine it chances are they can do it.

The Sandberg's are nice though - just you're limited to the set range of options. If you are ever over this way (London/Essex) you're more than welcome to try my Maruszczyk.

Anyhow, I hope that helps a little

Best wishes

James

Edit: Just noticed you're looking at the Electra version of the Sandberg - I just wanted to add that I only tried the proper German models so I cannot say how similar the Electra is.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1440884743' post='2854593']
Sandberg's are nice though - just you're limited to the set range of options.
[/quote]

Sandbergs are very nice indeed. I ended up buying a VM4.

As well as plenty of set options, you can spec your own build by using their 'configurator'.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1440885188' post='2854599']
As well as plenty of set options, you can spec your own build by using their 'configurator'.
[/quote]

I don't think they offer that for the Electra basses. Its only an option on the full German made ones.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1440884638' post='2854592']
I tried a Sandberg TT once (German made, not the Electra series) and I have to say it sounded less punchy than the Squier Jazz I had at the time.
[/quote]

Thanks JapanAxe. One of the things that I had noticed when viewing some of the youtube videos of the Electra TT is that it had a very mid-bright tone (even a little "thin") to my ears. Though I could easily be wrong having not heard or played one.

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440882263' post='2854584']
So I'm looking for a bass that with a nice "modern flatter neck radius" and have a little more tonal variety than a straight passive P Bass (Not that I don't love this - but would like a little more hence perhaps the P/J pickup might be the answer?
[/quote]

Why limit yourself to Fender shaped objects. How about a Spector Euro? Active pre, with PJ pups, a 16" radius board and a very comfortable curved body.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1440886049' post='2854605']
My passive TT4 (California ) is punchier than my active TM5

Both sound great, just different.
[/quote]

Yes I think that the TT California is a different animal to the Electra range. My concern about these is that they might feel/ sound too much like the poor man's version. :)

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1440884743' post='2854593']
I doubt you could go far wrong with any of those choices, they're all really nice basses.

I've not tried the Skyline but I have looked at both Sandberg and Maruszczyk basses over the past month and I found both to be stunning instruments that sounded and played beautifully.

Personally, I chose to go with a Maruszczyk in the end for two reasons:

(1) the price was just amazing. You're getting a top-quality hand built instrument for around the same money as a Fender Mexican P-bass which is just outstanding.

(2) they are fully customisable - Adrian is more than happy to build your bass to any spec you can dream of. You can pick exactly the neck dimensions, inlays, colour, woods, pick-ups, pre-amp etc that you want. The ones on their website are examples but if you can imagine it chances are they can do it.

The Sandberg's are nice though - just you're limited to the set range of options. If you are ever over this way (London/Essex) you're more than welcome to try my Maruszczyk.

Anyhow, I hope that helps a little

Best wishes

James

Edit: Just noticed you're looking at the Electra version of the Sandberg - I just wanted to add that I only tried the proper German models so I cannot say how similar the Electra is.
[/quote]

Cheers James, appreciate it and especially the invitation to drop in an try your [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Did you go for a Jake or Elwood in the end?[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]One of the great benefits is the ability to customise to your preferences [/color][/font][b]but[/b][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"] if I'm completely honest I not sure I really know what mine are! (Previous experience is picking up basses and thinking they either feel/ play well or they don't)[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]I suppose I should Google how to measure radius and string spacing etc :)[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know I like necks that are a little "flatter" is their radius and I think I'm edging towards a P/J pickup option having the Humbucker in the Musicman.[/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Did you simple email Adrian with your preferences or did you reference of basses?[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Sorry for the dumb question.[/color][/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Graham[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"] [/color][/font]

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1440889197' post='2854623']
I don't think they offer that for the Electra basses. Its only an option on the full German made ones.
[/quote]

Correct the California range has far more options than the Electra - which is simply a TT (Jazz) or VM (P)

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1440889810' post='2854627']
Why limit yourself to Fender shaped objects. How about a Spector Euro? Active pre, with PJ pups, a 16" radius board and a very comfortable curved body.
[/quote]

Not sure to be honest Billy, over the years no matter what I have always been drawn to these style basses.
Spectors (from my limited experience) do have incredible range

I have very little experience with the Sandbergs or Lakland Skylines so I can't compare in any useful detail, but I've lived with my Maruszczyk Jake for a good while now, and I just can't fault it, and that's without taking into account how little it cost. It's absolutely top-spec.

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440890378' post='2854635']
Not sure to be honest Billy, over the years no matter what I have always been drawn to these style basses.
Spectors (from my limited experience) do have incredible range
[/quote]

I always played Fender shaped basses until I found Spectors and I've not looked back. They certainly don't lack punch!

TBH what you need to do is get out there and check out the options for yourself. An internet forum can guide you so far, but you need to see, hear and feel the things in meat-space to make a truly informed decision.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1440890437' post='2854636']
I have very little experience with the Sandbergs or Lakland Skylines so I can't compare in any useful detail, but I've lived with my Maruszczyk Jake for a good while now, and I just can't fault it, and that's without taking into account how little it cost. It's absolutely top-spec.
[/quote]

Thanks wateroftyne, appreciate the feedback on the quality of the bass and spec.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1440892266' post='2854644']
I always played Fender shaped basses until I found Spectors and I've not looked back. They certainly don't lack punch!

TBH what you need to do is get out there and check out the options for yourself. An internet forum can guide you so far, but you need to see, hear and feel the things in meat-space to make a truly informed decision.
[/quote]

Yeah there is no replacement for playing them yourself, thanks Billy Apple

My only experience of the basses on your list is the Skyline. I'd also add the 44-01 and 44-02 to the list They are great basses for the money. The necks are some of the best out there and as they are plek'ed they should play very well.

I was wondering why there are no Fender American Standard basses on your list. If you can find one that plays well you can upgrade the pickups to get any sound you want, from genuine vintage to modern boutique.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1440890437' post='2854636']
[/quote]
What radius measurement did you go for in the end? Thanks Graham

[quote name='mal2404' timestamp='1440890154' post='2854631']
Cheers James, appreciate it and especially the invitation to drop in an try your [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Did you go for a Jake or Elwood in the end?[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]One of the great benefits is the ability to customise to your preferences [/color][/font][b]but[/b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] if I'm completely honest I not sure I really know what mine are! (Previous experience is picking up basses and thinking they either feel/ play well or they don't)[/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I suppose I should Google how to measure radius and string spacing etc :)[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I know I like necks that are a little "flatter" is their radius and I think I'm edging towards a P/J pickup option having the Humbucker in the Musicman.[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Did you simple email Adrian with your preferences or did you reference of basses?[/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Sorry for the dumb question.[/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Graham[/color][/font]

[/quote]

Hi mate,

Sorry for being slow to get back to you - I only just saw your post. I've gone for an Elwood in the end. The stunning thing is that even with the high-end options and custom stuff the price is still outstanding. For my one I have ordered the Elwood X model, which is the basic Jazz shape. It has a flamed maple cap on the alder body with a matte red-burst finish. I've got black block inlays and black neck-binding on a maple fret-board, black hardware, an MM/Single Delano pickup config and a Delano 2-band eq with active/passive options. All of that came to just shy of £850 (around 1150 euros) which is about the same price as a higher-end Mexican Fender.

In terms of contacting Adrian just email him on the [email protected] address. He's pretty quick at getting back and more than happy to help out with any questions. It might take a while to get your dream bass set up but he seems to be full of good advice. Also, check out the pick-ups from Bass Culture that he often uses. They're pretty awesome if you're looking for a smoother tone - I was very tempted but erred toward the Delano's in the end having used a Maruszczyk with them in already and loved it. I must admit I am already getting GAS to order a Frog 5-string with Bass Culture pick-ups.

Anyhow, I hope that helps a little - let us know what you go for in the end!

Best wishes

James

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441074873' post='2855867']
Hi mate,

Sorry for being slow to get back to you - I only just saw your post. I've gone for an Elwood in the end. The stunning thing is that even with the high-end options and custom stuff the price is still outstanding. For my one I have ordered the Elwood X model, which is the basic Jazz shape. It has a flamed maple cap on the alder body with a matte red-burst finish. I've got black block inlays and black neck-binding on a maple fret-board, black hardware, an MM/Single Delano pickup config and a Delano 2-band eq with active/passive options. All of that came to just shy of £850 (around 1150 euros) which is about the same price as a higher-end Mexican Fender.

In terms of contacting Adrian just email him on the [email protected] address. He's pretty quick at getting back and more than happy to help out with any questions. It might take a while to get your dream bass set up but he seems to be full of good advice. Also, check out the pick-ups from Bass Culture that he often uses. They're pretty awesome if you're looking for a smoother tone - I was very tempted but erred toward the Delano's in the end having used a Maruszczyk with them in already and loved it. I must admit I am already getting GAS to order a Frog 5-string with Bass Culture pick-ups.

Anyhow, I hope that helps a little - let us know what you go for in the end!

Best wishes

James
[/quote]

Hey James,
Man, that Elwood sounds beautiful and a great spec also!
To be honest I'm slowly moving to the idea that my new bass maybe "active" with the Glockenland Preamp that's in the Elwood.
If I go down that route I think that I will do for the Delano pickups also.

The Maruszczyk that you played was it an Elwood also?

I have emailed Adrian a couple of times with some general questions so I think that I will just keep on going.
I was trying to get as much feedback from other players as possible to try and reduce the number of emails to Adrian :)

Thanks again, very helpful and I will post updates when reach the end of the search/ question raising / information gathering / video watching / audio listening / forum reading / image viewing etc etc :)

Best,
Graham

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441136039' post='2856401']
For Sandberg pricing it's far better to go to a German dealer.

I got my California TT4 passive with ebony board, matching headstock and pearl block inlays for £920 ish.
[/quote]

Yeah - especially with exchange rates € v £

Thanks fretmeister