Why become a member? ×

best Mic for drummer /singer to use

Kevin Dean

A hypercardioid pickup pattern (your SM58 is cardioid, meaning the pickup pattern is slightly wider, and the mic doesn't reject as much extraneous noise as a hypercardioid pickup pattern) would certainly help the microphone to reject noise from anywhere except the front of the microphone getting to the mixer - which means you spend less time trying to eliminate it further down the line.

Beyer MD201s used to be my weapon of choice for such an event, but it's been a while since I've needed to use one.

Try your 58 first though, no point spending money to fix a problem until you [i]know[/i] it's a problem. ;)

Edited by paul_5

I'm a live sound engineer turned bassist and backing singer. It's shifted my opinions on mics. First i'm assuming you are looking in the £70-150 sort of price range.

The Sm58 isn't up to it any more in terms of sound quality, just not enough detail. People like it because it is what they know, and you need to know a mic almost as well as a guitar, and just like a guitar/bass some people will get more out of a s*** instrument than a poor player gets out of a good one.

There's one other good thing about an SM58 though and that is that it is a cardioid, what this means is that you don't have to be so tight to the mic to get a decent sound. From the point of view of an engineer the tighter the mic pattern the better in terms of avoiding extraneous noise and feedback but as a performer needing to be 'on' the mic all the time is really distracting and if you move a lot when performing you'll get a lot of poor vocals as you constantly move off the mic's sweet spot. Drummers move a lot so I'm suggesting you look at whether this is an issue. It's all compromise but the ease of use may be a bigger factor than the need to avoid drum bleed through the mic.

I've ended up with the Sennheiser 935 http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/vocal-microphone-dynamic-cardioid-e-935 which is very tolerant and neutral sounding. FWIW the Shure Beta58 is described as super cardioid by Shure but is pretty nearly cardioid and sounds much better than the 58. I've also used the AKG D5 which sounds great but needs good mic technique, it is a real bargain though at it's low price. I grabbed it by mistake last night though and struggled to dance, play bass and sing at the same time :)

• 2 weeks later...