Why become a member? ×

Gk guru

roonjuice

Hi,
I'm far from a guru on anything, all I know with GKs is the old patch lead in the FX loop trick; seems to cure a vast range of ills. There's a bloke on Talkbass (B-string) who is a good contact.
Polar Audio, as you will know, are the distributors, I've mixed feelings about them but they may help. When I swapped the mains tranny in my 400rb the local amp tech thought the insides of the amp looked pretty straightforward.
Good luck,
Martin

Thanks for the response guys!
I really love the gk sound but seem to have no luck with their stuff., I have an old 2000rb that is one channel, (the other is toast)I bought it like that as a back up to my 2001.
I have the 4x12 which "grumbles" at low volume, it's fine when loud tho,
I also have an mb800 which is noisey
And the biggy.... 2001rb which is what I am really looking at getting sorted.
This thing blew, got repaired, and then blew again after being used twice. It has been through 3 different very highly regarded amp techs since, and they all say it's a pretty complicated/pain to work on. The last tech has spoken to gallien directly to source parts which totalled something like £800. Polar audio quoted me £15 per 15 minutes inspection time just to isolate the fault, then the price of the parts and a higher rate repair and then hefty return shipping, which was also cost prohibitive when you can pick a 2001 up for £500
No one seems to be able to repair this at a rate worth saving the amp and it's a damn tragedy to throw a 2001 in a skip.
Looking for ideas:)

Hi,
It sounds like you've already been through more than I have with GK, the 4 I've had have been great (800rb, 400rb, mb200, 700rbii), I thought that the procedure was for GK to replace entire section boards. I know toroidals aren't cheap but there's ways around that, if you aren't bothered about warranty.
I'd try the bloke on Talkbass, I'm hoping Gelfin, Nick or Cetera chime in! Have you managed to actually make contact with GK in the US?
All the best,
Martin