Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Brazil...I mean Bath, Somerset

Javaral

Hi everyone,
I've been been lurking around here for a while, so I thought it was time to introduce myself. I'm a 31 yo bass player from Belo Horizonte, Brazil. I'm living for 12 months, until february next year, in the lovely city of Bath, as part of my PhD. Back home I've played in number of projects, I'm specially interested in the more experimental strains of rock (post-punk, noise etc), I'm also involved with free improv and soundtracks (mostly Brazilian underground movies, but also some work for visual artists). I actually didn't brought any of my basses [a 2012 Hofner Galaxie short scale solid-body called Carmen in hommage to the petite wonder Carmen Miranda ; a 1999 Epiphone Jack Casady long scale hollowbody called Elvis, fat and golden; and last and also LEAST a mid-90s Peavey Milestone II P-bass copy called Sid, with some serious self-destructive tendencies...], but figuring out that I could not actually survive without an instrument, I bought an Harley Benton 335-lyke guitar, called Marvin Berry of Back to the Future fame... Yesterday I had the opportunity to play the Uke bass of a friend and noticed how much I missed playing bass. So here I am looking for a bass, yet again,
Cheers,
Miguel Javaral

Edited by Javaral

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1441010950' post='2855216'] Welcome :) A colleague tells me that instruments are hard to get/expensive in Brazil (his wife is Brazilian). Would it be cost-effective (and legal!) to buy something here, take it home and sell it? [/quote]

Yes, because he can get the VAT back at the airport.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1441010950' post='2855216']
Welcome :)

A colleague tells me that instruments are hard to get/expensive in Brazil (his wife is Brazilian). Would it be cost-effective (and legal!) to buy something here, take it home and sell it?
[/quote] Yes, that's true. All my instruments except for the Peavey P-copy were bought abroad. The only problem is the limited amount of stuff that I can get on the plane... <_< But every time I'm abroad, it's gear time!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1440976540' post='2855115']
Welcome. I guess you have had a browse round Vintage and Rare in Queen street?
[/quote] Yeah! I coudn't stop drooling the whole time :rolleyes: I played a proper Epiphone Rivoli from the 1960s exactly like the ones played by every British Invasion bassist that was not called Paul McCartney. It was great!!!

Edited by Javaral

• 3 weeks later...