Why become a member? ×

Is it possible to forget how to play the bass?

bobpalt

It's two years now since I retired from the band to do a bit of travelling in my retirement, and in that time I have pretty much not played at all. Recently I have had a few urges to at least have a jam with friends, but am a bit concerned as I seem to have forgotten most of what I knew! I was never the most talented bassist and tended to learn things parrot fashion rather than going with the flow so to speak, but I played regularly in a busy functions band for 13 years and could hold my own. At 61 I worry that, to paraphrase Homer (Simpson) in order to learn something new I have to forget something I already knew. Am I being paranoid? Will it all come back or is 2 years of abstinence enough to wipe the memory bank clean?

I had a ten year break and thought it would take me ages to get back into it... Asides from sore fingers for a few days it was like I'd never stopped. I couldn't remember any material obviously, but that didn't really matter as I wasn't in any of those bands any more anyway.

I'm uselss at remembering stuff anyway. I can remember the set for both my current bands but I've already forgotten the majority of the material from a band I played in last year.

Edited by CamdenRob

When I had a few years off, upon my return I could recall the tunes, scales etc. without too much trouble but for a while just too rusty to execute them properly.
It soon comes back though, sore fingers maybe for a few days and then it will feel like you've never been away.

Now then Bob, don't let it happen again :lol:

It'll be no problem at all, the two years off will make no difference after a few practises. And 61 is nothing - time to get started on the things you really want to do!

As for forgetting how to play, I forgot how to play 'Ready Teddy' on Saturday night and we'd only practised it the night before...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1441015302' post='2855254']
The only thing you will really have to worry about is sore fingers. The tips will have softened and you will probably have to dab some surgical spirit on them for a week or two.
[/quote]

Quite true, surgical spirit is great for sore fingers. If you drink about half a bottle you won't feel a thing.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1441015549' post='2855261']
Use it or lose it. I found that once muscle memory goes then it really is like starting from scratch.
[/quote]

Yes. Once I'm not playing a set, I forget it. I learn songs through muscle and pattern memory. But if you're not playing that set any more, it matters not. It doesn't mean you've completely forgotten how to play the bass.

Edited by discreet

I had about 4 years off some time back, was back drumming instead.

Got the chance to join a band I liked, so got practising! Gave myself 2 weeks of playing a lot (I was on annual leave from work) - and got the gig.

Not saying I was Jeff Berlin on the day, but I got through it without any cramps or finger pain!

It does take time, but I don't think you can ever truly forget. I do remember trying to play stuff I'd recorded with another band 5 or 6 years previously, and at first not coming close. That was a shock, it is amazing how quick you can lose ability in the hands. Not forget, but not be physically able to play what you could easily before. :o

Do not despair! I had a period of 6 years of not really playing and I remember that although I hadn't completely forgotten how o play, I definitely didn't have the chops I used to have. The good news is that you should find your skills come back pretty quickly.