Why become a member? ×

Albums that are not given the recognition they deserve.

colgraff

My submission: Carter USMs 101 Damnations.

IMO a superb first album with cleverly constructed songs which rarely follow the standard verse/chorus structure, the use of samples from TV and film which was very rare at the time.

The songs and the clever and linguistically artful lyrics tackle serious topics such as suicide, alcoholism, social and domestic violence, homelessness and various levels of broken homes / lives in an unflinching way with catchy tunes.

From "Every Time a Church Bell Rings" which puts a chilling take on the hymn "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" via the heartbreaking "Good Grief, Charlie Brown" to the bleak GI Blues the album is one of the very few which I believe has no weak tracks on it.

What album do you treasure as a hidden gem?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1441032496' post='2855489']
Rich Kids - Ghosts of Princes in Towers.
[/quote]
Great shout. Overlooked at the time, I think mainly due to Matlock's (perceived depleted) status after being ousted from the Pistols and also the feeling (in the press) that it was somehow 'punk lite'.

It's a top album.

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1441034620' post='2855514']
Joe Strummer and the Mescelaros - Streetcore.

Wings - Wings at the Speed of Sound.

George Harrison - Dark Horse.

シオン - 夜しか泳がない and many other classic albums that come from a non-Western countries.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XthvTgblizU&list=PL89B0688FE8527388[/media]
[/quote]Wings at the Speed of Sound - one hell of a follow up to the two previous excellent albums.

Van Halen, Women and Children First. Love this album to bits. Most concentrate on the first two and 1984, but this one rocks like a mo fo. Also, it's the best balance of sound across the frequencies Van Halen produced (for me). You can actually hear Michael Anthony's playing and it's actually pretty good.

I'd mention An Electric Storm by White Noise. When someone played the opening track to me a few years ago I presumed it was from the 90s or later, but it turns out to be from 1968. Plus it features Delia Derbyshire of Dr Who theme fame.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZG8CE2KnBQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZG8CE2KnBQ[/url]