Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

I have to say that not normally that keen on class D but if this is in the same sort of league as the Demeter, then they might be onto something.

But...heard a glorious 400 today..old boy, but great sound. I even helped him out with the cab as would have been rude not to.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1441051895' post='2855744']
Looks good but those demo's make it sound too gritty for my taste. I'll try on out when I see one in a shop.
[/quote]

+1 Can't really make a decision based on a YouTube vid anyway. There are too many audio parameters involved - most importantly, how it was recorded and on what, YouTube bit rate and compression, how it's listened to via PC or other device or phone and on what monitoring system, whether studio monitors or headphones, buds, laptop speakers and on and on. :)

Having said all that, it sounds pretty damn good through my full-range studio monitors. :gas:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1441051895' post='2855744']
Looks good but those demo's make it sound too gritty for my taste. I'll try on out when I see one in a shop.
[/quote]

It does sound very grindy, but you can see the clip light flashing in the Bobby Vega vid.

The layout - especially the power indicator/start up lights - is very Streamliner. Which makes sense as Andy/Agedhorse on Talkbass has been as Mesa for a while after leaving Genz. All good things. I'm still loving my Streamliner's - more than one should for an amp.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

Exactly what I was thinking. The feature set is almost exactly the same as the Streamliner. Only difference I can see is the mid control being predetermined, but usefully to set at high and low mid. Oh, and the missing bright blue LEDs that intermittently work on mine. Bet it's the same darn thing with tweaked eq and a different power section.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1441135036' post='2856384']
Exactly what I was thinking. The feature set is almost exactly the same as the Streamliner. Only difference I can see is the mid control being predetermined, but usefully to set at high and low mid. Oh, and the missing bright blue LEDs that intermittently work on mine. Bet it's the same darn thing with tweaked eq and a different power section.
[/quote]

So, in fact, quite a different amp!

Being 2-ohm capable has me very interested. Set on my Barefaced Retro 2x10 (4 ohm!), but would like to add another at some point.

Edited by Bigwan