Why become a member? ×

New Mesa class D amp

fretmeister

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1446912180' post='2903456']
I admit I'm tempted by this, but from what I've read there's been no great advance in the spec of the power section, so.. I think I'll hang on for the next generation of modules to come through.
[/quote]

Since this amp is the among the very first releases to use the newest ICE module, your wait should only be five years or so.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1446930916' post='2903644']
Since this amp is the among the very first releases to use the newest ICE module, your wait should only be five years or so.
[/quote]

Heh... yeah, that's the problem. I dunno - I might really like this when I hear it, but (as we've chatted about via PM) it needs to be a real advance from what I've heard already to ring my bell...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1446931549' post='2903647']
Heh... yeah, that's the problem. I dunno - I might really like this when I hear it, but (as we've chatted about via PM) it needs to be a real advance from what I've heard already to ring my bell...
[/quote]

As I've said before, I think it 's really mostly about the whole design, not what power amp module someone is using. But in any case, I prefer to give any new amp design around two years to get wrung out before I'll even consider buying it (used), and these days I am already extremely happy with what I have. Beyond that, I would be very unlikely to buy anything that's not in rack mount format. But as usual, it seems that my tastes have little to do with the mainstream.

Edited by Passinwind

So Mesa offer a 2 ohm switch but the ASC70 minimum load is 2.5 ohms?

it looks a good amp but there does not seem to be enough room for smoke and mirrors in that box. Maybe a 2 ohm loading will allow the smoke to come out? B)

Passinwind, you must have the designer manual for the ASC700. Is 2 ohms possible?

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1446980251' post='2903836']
So Mesa offer a 2 ohm switch but the ASC70 minimum load is 2.5 ohms?

it looks a good amp but there does not seem to be enough room for smoke and mirrors in that box. Maybe a 2 ohm loading will allow the smoke to come out? B)

Passinwind, you must have the designer manual for the ASC700. Is 2 ohms possible?
[/quote]

2 ohms is no problem at all and the Bergantino amp offers that as well -- you just have to add an external current limiter. There is no design manual per se AFAIK and the spec sheet/wiring diagram is most likely for a stock config with no extra heatsink or fan, and with the stock built in limiter, which would not be a very smart way to build if stable 2 ohm operation is a priority.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1446931549' post='2903647']
[/quote] ... and in your case, regardless of the power unit used - what would it do that the walkabout doesn't?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1447056882' post='2904369']

That's a very good point.

I guess not - I'd be changing for the sake of it, really.
[/quote]
i keep seeing rigs and going ooooo - but then wonder what it would improve over what ive got

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1447056882' post='2904369'] That's a very good point. I guess not - I'd be changing for the sake of it, really. [/quote]

And we know what happens a week later... :D

I'm the same, though - I only realised when I came to tell someone recently that I've had 11 heads in the time I've had my Streamliner - good job I kept it to compare, otherwise I'd have been frantically trying to get another. And they're a lot more commonplace than your Walkabout...

Edited by Muzz

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1448555912' post='2916446']
Ouch.

On the other hand, it's saved me from some serious GAS...
[/quote]

Westside Distribution price control is always awful, but the Streamliner and Shuttles were £699 so it's in the same bracket really. Don't think anyone moaned about Genz prices.

Same for my amps.

The TH500 works perfectly with my Bergantino cabs but doesn't sound so good with the Barefaced cabs. The Thunderfunk works really well with any cab I've owned.

If the Subway can outperform either of those amps with both sets of cabs then it's on the Wanted List.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1448804450' post='2918241']
Same for my amps.

The TH500 works perfectly with my Bergantino cabs but doesn't sound so good with the Barefaced cabs. The Thunderfunk works really well with any cab I've owned.

[b]If the Subway can outperform either of those amps with both sets of cabs then it's on the Wanted List.[/b]
[/quote]

I'm getting the impression that it will not offer much more than the rest of the stuff at that pricepoint... or not enough
to change.

The TF550-B is a very good amp...and better made than the rest of the stuff, likely mentioned here, so if you like that amp...and I did...
then I'm thinking Emporers new clothes..?
The only amp I'd offer you look at would be the Demeter.but accept how good the Mesa is is conjecture at this stage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite my personal reservations on its functional flexibility over my existing amps. It is here and priced to sell. If it sounds as good as the promo videos indicate it should do well. I did say its a bit late to the party, but when you see the Mark bass,Tone hammers and TechAmps for sale here - we all get bored quickly and want a change so they are bound to benefit from new year GAS

Boogie have worked hard to build a very strong brand. I reckon that will make a big difference, as people like to be associated with a good brand name. I don't doubt that the product will be good, but that's often not the main factor influencing the purchase decision.