Why become a member? ×

Playing in a different tuning to guitarists

Iheartreverb

hi all,

So this band I'm in so far has about 30 mins of music (just two songs. Long instrumental stuff you see) and when we started the guitarist preferred to be in drop C# so has written everything in that tuning. At the time I matched this tuning thinking it would be much easier and quicker if I did. I'm really not happy with it for a number of reasons but I really don't know where to start with re writing the music I have a,ready written in this tuning and writing new stuff going forward.
I'll probably tune to Eb so that the other 3 strings are the same but some of the stuff so far utilises both the top and bottom of the neck (the second and 15th frets) and if I tune to this I simply won't have these notes anymore, or at least anywhere I know.

Any advice for how to deal with this without playing something that just sounds odd?

Hiya. Sorry, should have said. Really dot want to 5 string. To add context I'm playing a 4 string short scale. Some of the issues I'm having are caused by having super heavy strings on it to achieve tuning and getting no subtlety from my playing. The other is that on any recordings if I'm playing root notes they just sound far too low against he guitars. I assume another tuning would sound bette, I just don't know how to play the stuff or how to write (and any potential issues of this) if not in same tuning

If the bass root notes sound too low when you use alternative tuning is it worth just using standard tuning and learning to play the parts up around the 4th fret? Obviously this is going to involve more work but in the long run being able to switch fingering is a good skill to have anyway.