Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Big Head. Any good?

fretmeister

I bought one from Gareth/Walbassist a while back, along with the PJB headphones, and it's a cracking setup. The Big Head comes with a full complement of hookup leads, including a mini jack to 1/4" for using it as a preamp, which is nice.

Great sound, way louder than you'd ever need, small, really well built. My only complaint is I don't have rubber feet on mine so it slides around a wee bit. I'd like to see a mobile phone-like rubber sleeve available for it because it could scratch a table if it were pulled around or dropped.

There's small transparent rubber feet on the one in the classifieds 😉 I hear the seller may be open to reasonable offers too 😉. Ok, ok, I'll stop all this plugging for fear of derailing the thread!... It's in 'other musically related items for sale'...!

Edited by Musashimonkey

• 1 year later...

Super clean sound, no "grit" at all.

Had the idea of using it as an interface to my (150W) hifi amp and (big floor standing) speakers by plugging the headphone output of the Big Head into an auxiliary input of the hifi amp, then CAREFULLY adjusting the volume and tone. Sounds great .. MUCH much better than simply plugging the bass into the amp (line voltages / impedance matching / stuff) ....sounds like one of the smaller PJB amps in fact.

Yep, I've had one for a while...its really good. Clean sounds only but very good quality. My only issue is you can't use it as DAC from your iPhone (using the lightening connector) because it starts to draw power and charge itself from the phone...or at lease thats what your phone tells you!

• 3 weeks later...

It's a box of majik this thing.

Not only a pre-amp but I also have it connected to my PC by USB and can simultaneously feed it bass noises whilst listening to stuff I recorded earlier or post processing with GuitarFX-Box. Basically it turns into a much better sound card than the one your laptop has.

Edited by NickA

• 2 months later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1441136773' post='2856411']
Is it any good? Worth getting for headphone practice? Is is super clean or has it got a bit of grit?
[/quote]

Yes, it's a great piece of kit. And yes it's fabulous for headphone practise - you can even plug in an external source. And it's super clean sounding.
I met a BCer a couple of years ago to buy his bass and he brought his BH along for me to play the bass through. The bass was fab and I took it there and then. I was so impressed with the BH that I picked one up soon after. I still have it. It comes with a load of leads in the box so you never get caught out for connectivity either, a nice touch.
I've used mine on a few gigs where the supplied backline was utter sh*te and it made the bass sound a whole lot better. I've also used it as a mini amp for cabled IEMs which it excelled at.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd dredged this post by accident then - I've been considering getting one & was reading this earlier! 

Are they that good? I've just had a change a living arrangement recent so could do with the option of silent practice, my main amp is at the studio so I'm just using the headphone output on my cheapy practice head & it's not that great; not particularly good sound & the volume control on it doesn't work well when you've got you phone plugged in too.

Any user know if the input stage will handle a preamp output? 

I have a PJB Super Flightcase and run the GED2112 into it with no problem, so I'm hoping it'll be good.

Looks like I'll be moving to Australia for a year, can't ship a ton of stuff and the BH would be great.

I would say yes as long as you have a volume control! The main input expects an instrument level signal. I've run things like a Tech21 VT DI and DP3X into it no problem, but I've set them up so they are around unity gain when on/off. You might get clipping if pumping in a really hot signal, but I have boosted into it quite hard and not heard any obvious clipping before.

• Thanks 1