Why become a member? ×

To mod, or not to mod: Gibson Thunderbird?

bigsmokebass

Hey guys,

Been struggling for ideas for what the misses can get me for my birthday and Christmas present (as we're now on the countdown to Xmas in my household [and those celebrations are only days apart]) I've thought of all sorts but it all comes back as being unnecessary tat to clutter up the house.
I live the life of a hermit whilst I suffer with a bad hip the past year and a few things have kept me sane as well as preventing me from caving in, that being my basses and one thing I've been scratching my head about is modding my T'bird.

If anyone knows me, I despise all the modern tech on basses; especially modern tuners on basses. After years of playing ibanez basses in rock/metal bands and the plastic rings on the tuners are as reliable as a chocolate teapot.
I've been considering vintage styled tuners instead, just for the peace of mind of NOTHING ever happening like the experiences I've had in the past, like replacing a whole set of tuners a day before a gig!

I'm also contemplating to make it a string through body and replacing the bridge with a Hipshot 3-point replacement just to finish it off: As I do love the idea of greater tones and versatility from this bass.

I've contacted my local luthier and I've been quoted £60 for the time, labor and minus the parts- shouldn't cost me too much but all the same, what's the overall opinion here?
My main concern being will the vintage tuners clash?

I'd rather have comments and suggestions from people who have experienced this, no noobs please.

Grae
BigSmokeBass

[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/image.jpg2_zpsffitoggx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af20/graeskyenathoof/image.jpg1_zpsgs03xybr.jpg[/IMG]

I know these are different instruments- an RD bass and the 76/77 T'bird but ideally this is what I would like to achieve but in back hardware on the classic sunburst body :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1441222424' post='2857122']
I suppose the main question is ; are you definitely keep this bass? If so,then the mods won't matter. For resale purpose , you may not get as much as the time / money invested etc. Then again, you probably know that ;)
Over to other basschatters
[/quote]

It is one I'll be keeping but it's not so much for resale reasons I ask, rather than techincal reasons.
Example: if the increased tension from the string through will bow the neck to an extent it could pose as a threat to a bass with a glued neck etc.

I know, perhaps an extreme example but I would rather than put such an expensive and sentimental bass on the line for the sake of £100 or so worth of mods.

Many thanks for your thoughts Ray, :D

If you're after vintage style tuners with a modern twist, I highly recommend Gotoh resolite GB640's or GB528's (smaller back plate). They are super lightweight, have a cleaver little hidden tension adjuster and fully look the part as opposed to the Hipshot Ultralites.

Expensive, but worth it. I'm having the GB528's put on my NR TBird build and have the 640's on my JV P.

Badbird II (when it's ready) - old school bridge with separate tailpiece? Babicz three point replacement?

I chromed up my NR Thunderbird a while ago and fitted the Supertone - but used the same size tuners as before:

If your beef is with the O-ring like plastic bits but don't want the annoyance of reaming out the holes (and the rather crowded space for the elephant ears) there/s the Schaller M4 Lights. http://guitar-parts.biz/hp524876/Bass-Machine-Heads-M4-Light.htm?ITServ=C2b606fe2X14f946e014dX66a7

Did I not mention them to you before with regard to LP basses?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1441282859' post='2857508']
If you're after vintage style tuners with a modern twist, I highly recommend Gotoh resolite GB640's or GB528's (smaller back plate). They are super lightweight, have a cleaver little hidden tension adjuster and fully look the part as opposed to the Hipshot Ultralites.

Expensive, but worth it. I'm having the GB528's put on my NR TBird build and have the 640's on my JV P.
[/quote]

Cheers Billy Apple,

What I do like about the Hipshot's is they have the smaller gears (as like the modern tuners, as apposed to the vintage large gear/plate) so it would be a straight switch with the current tuners and a alternative head.

I've checked out the Gotoh's and they seem great products as ever, just requires me to make more of a mod than require with other equipment :)

Thanks again for your support and contribution

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1441304509' post='2857819']
Badbird II (when it's ready) - old school bridge with separate tailpiece? Babicz three point replacement?

I chromed up my NR Thunderbird a while ago and fitted the Supertone - but used the same size tuners as before:

If your beef is with the O-ring like plastic bits but don't want the annoyance of reaming out the holes (and the rather crowded space for the elephant ears) there/s the Schaller M4 Lights. http://guitar-parts.biz/hp524876/Bass-Machine-Heads-M4-Light.htm?ITServ=C2b606fe2X14f946e014dX66a7

Did I not mention them to you before with regard to LP basses?
[/quote]

My good friend Neephied, how are you? Still as envious of your collection now, as I ever have.

You are correct regarding the Les Paul but I think when I worked it out, i would have required a new hard case for it for the sake of machineheads- if the bass wasn't stolen anyway!
The current tuners seem to be of a greater standard of quality than what my Ibby's ever had, I'm just a sucker for old school basses and hardware- the old ones were the best IMHO, just a shame they don't have an option to purchase a 76/77 T'bird :)

The bridge I could take or leave, if I'm honest. It's all down to the Misses budget for me but I would like to have it string through.
I've been looking to see if there's parts for the traditional 3P bridge, that you can just buy the parts for than replacing the whole part.

Where about can you get the babicz from? I knew they were released Jan this year but never seen them available.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1441320917' post='2858006']
Cheers Billy Apple,

What I do like about the Hipshot's is they have the smaller gears (as like the modern tuners, as apposed to the vintage large gear/plate) so it would be a straight switch with the current tuners and a alternative head.

I've checked out the Gotoh's and they seem great products as ever, just requires me to make more of a mod than require with other equipment :)

Thanks again for your support and contribution
[/quote]

No worries. How about some nice chrome Thunderbuckers? Vintage as a vintage thing I reckon

http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1441322527' post='2858019']
My good friend Neephied, how are you? Still as envious of your collection now, as I ever have.

You are correct regarding the Les Paul but I think when I worked it out, i would have required a new hard case for it for the sake of machineheads- if the bass wasn't stolen anyway!
The current tuners seem to be of a greater standard of quality than what my Ibby's ever had, I'm just a sucker for old school basses and hardware- the old ones were the best IMHO, just a shame they don't have an option to purchase a 76/77 T'bird :)

The bridge I could take or leave, if I'm honest. It's all down to the Misses budget for me but I would like to have it string through.
I've been looking to see if there's parts for the traditional 3P bridge, that you can just buy the parts for than replacing the whole part.

Where about can you get the babicz from? I knew they were released Jan this year but never seen them available.
[/quote]

I'm nae bad, how's yourself?

I've only seen the Babicz on eBay in the States so far (not cheap): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281755217587

For the string through, are you thinking of doing it like an RD or a Ripper (holes behind the bridge with ferrules top and bottom)? Or looking for a bridge which hides all that underneath?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1441383874' post='2858550']
I'm nae bad, how's yourself?

I've only seen the Babicz on eBay in the States so far (not cheap): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281755217587

For the string through, are you thinking of doing it like an RD or a Ripper (holes behind the bridge with ferrules top and bottom)? Or looking for a bridge which hides all that underneath?
[/quote]

All's well here but a bad hip :) haha

Aye, I think for the sake of it and simplicity, I'd go for the Hipshot (as well as being a trusted name in our industry). Looking to go for the RD/Ripper string through, gives its a more aphetically pleasing look to it too with the ferrules (T+B) and then to the bridge.

I may have to look into longer strings given then 1" or so added length but besides from that, I don't think there's a lot holding me back from all the feedback I've received ([b]Thank you all![/b])

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1441408105' post='2858776']

All's well here but a bad hip :) haha

Aye, I think for the sake of it and simplicity, I'd go for the Hipshot (as well as being a trusted name in our industry). Looking to go for the RD/Ripper string through, gives its a more aphetically pleasing look to it too with the ferrules (T+B) and then to the bridge.

I may have to look into longer strings given then 1" or so added length but besides from that, I don't think there's a lot holding me back from all the feedback I've received ([b]Thank you all![/b])
[/quote]

It's more like an extra 2" and you will need super long scale strings. D'addario super long scale fit my RD with through body stringing. My usual Hartkes do not quite manage - the A string is currently top loaded on my Ripper because of that.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1441441328' post='2858859']

It's more like an extra 2" and you will need super long scale strings. D'addario super long scale fit my RD with through body stringing. My usual Hartkes do not quite manage - the A string is currently top loaded on my Ripper because of that.
[/quote]

It's the 4-in-a-row headstock as well....going to need a mega long G string!
Reg the RD, what's the scale length for it? I recall there's a slight difference between the original and the Krist Novoselic.
I tend to use standard Rotos on my basses as it is.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1441473117' post='2859124']
It's the 4-in-a-row headstock as well....going to need a mega long G string!
Reg the RD, what's the scale length for it? I recall there's a slight difference between the original and the Krist Novoselic.
I tend to use standard Rotos on my basses as it is.
[/quote]

I need to measure to confirm but I heard it was 34.5", I guess the KN sig is 34? As I said before, if you're through body stringing I suspect you'll need super long scale strings - I used D'addario XL super long scale on my RD - http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/daddario-daddario-exl165sl-4-string-nickel-wound-45-105-super-long-scale-bass-strings-p859

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1441616018' post='2860164']

I need to measure to confirm but I heard it was 34.5", I guess the KN sig is 34? As I said before, if you're through body stringing I suspect you'll need super long scale strings - I used D'addario XL super long scale on my RD - http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/daddario-daddario-exl165sl-4-string-nickel-wound-45-105-super-long-scale-bass-strings-p859
[/quote]

That's the one, I didn't think there was only 0.5" difference? Does it make much of a difference?
Just ordered those strings now, cheers buddy, I'll size them up when they arrive and see how they fair with 2" on the thunderbird. Then it will be a fair time to. Consider a string through option if I can buy strings long enough.

Thanks Neepheid, you're a legend as ever :D

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:148286]

Here's my seriously modded T-Bird - a bit more extensive than maybe you were considering, but there's a few things to consider. If you like the old-school vibe, the chrome pickup covers and rings are a cheap option - underneath those on mine are two Dingwall pickups, and they'll fit quite a few pickups. The Supertone bridge is, I think, a cracker, though I'd still consider a two-part bridge if one came up. The through-body thing I think wouldn't be worth the compromise in string choice, unless you can really, really hear the difference...

Tuners on mine are Ultralights, but as it's a Lakland neck, it doesn't really apply in your case...ditto the John East U-Retro, too, I'd guess... :D

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1441631291' post='2860375']

Here's my seriously modded T-Bird - a bit more extensive than maybe you were considering, but there's a few things to consider. If you like the old-school vibe, the chrome pickup covers and rings are a cheap option - underneath those on mine are two Dingwall pickups, and they'll fit quite a few pickups. The Supertone bridge is, I think, a cracker, though I'd still consider a two-part bridge if one came up. The through-body thing I think wouldn't be worth the compromise in string choice, unless you can really, really hear the difference...

Tuners on mine are Ultralights, but as it's a Lakland neck, it doesn't really apply in your case...ditto the John East U-Retro, too, I'd guess... :D
[/quote]

My my.... I must see the rest of this bass, kind sir! :o
There's a lot of options to consider there, I'm going to review things properly when I get some new strings (ordered) to see what exactly I want to do and what's applicable for my budget too.

Many thanks for your contribution.