Why become a member? ×

Squelchiest 70's funk

Duarte

Too long a story to divulge on BC but I did a little digging into the P0rnosonic albums (I believe there are 3) for a one off gig I did. All songs appear to be songs directly taken off '70 flicks but I could never find out if they were the original or a cover of the original.

The song is from a 1971 Ron Jeremy film in any case.

Bass player is a guy called Jared Alterman, who also plays keys. Mutron, fuzz and an OC2 is what I used to great effect.

is there anything out there that is cheaper than a mu tron that does the funk almost as good? I've tried EHX q-tron, horrible, Dod 25fb sucks tone

any really good squelchy filter available today to actually buy in a shop, not some rare boutique pedal where there was only ever 3 made by some guy in a garage in wisconsin, and even then it was unreliable and you cant get the chips anymore and .......

ie off the shelf instant Funk, without searching on ebay for months to get 'that' pedal... i don;t want hassle I just want to FUNK!!!

I agree with you on the Qtron and DOD there. I've just got my hands on the Moog LPF which is phenomenal - funkiest I've experienced by a long shot. I think it is often overlooked because it's marketed as a 'synth module with endless capabilities when connected via CV to other moogerfoogers and control voltage equipment'. Forget that, it's FUNK in a cool box

It ain't cheap, but it ain't Mu-tron money either.

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1441355168' post='2858139']
is there anything out there that is cheaper than a mu tron that does the funk almost as good? I've tried EHX q-tron, horrible, Dod 25fb sucks tone

any really good squelchy filter available today to actually buy in a shop, not some rare boutique pedal where there was only ever 3 made by some guy in a garage in wisconsin, and even then it was unreliable and you cant get the chips anymore and .......

ie off the shelf instant Funk, without searching on ebay for months to get 'that' pedal... i don;t want hassle I just want to FUNK!!!
[/quote]

Which Q-Tron did you try? The new ones aren't great, but the old big box one and the seemingly-mistitled-because-it's-massive old Mini Q-Tron are a different kettle of fish.

I prefer my Mini Q-Tron to my TruTron 3X (which is widely regarded to be a pretty much bang on clone of the original Mutron 3 with extra features). The old Q-Trons were designed by Mike Beigel of Mutron too!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1441387812' post='2858585']
Which Q-Tron did you try? The new ones aren't great, but the old big box one and the seemingly-mistitled-because-it's-massive old Mini Q-Tron are a different kettle of fish.

I prefer my Mini Q-Tron to my TruTron 3X (which is widely regarded to be a pretty much bang on clone of the original Mutron 3 with extra features). The old Q-Trons were designed by Mike Beigel of Mutron too!
[/quote]
I had an old big box Q-tron that Martin Owen modded to tame the volume spike and add TB and an LED etc and it was a killer, the down sweep especially was thunderous and the effects loop was SUCH a great feature.
I DO actually miss that thing come to mention it!!!!

[quote name='Tuco' timestamp='1441387247' post='2858578']
Yup, I got the ring mod next.. then the freqbox.. then the MP 201 ;)
[/quote]
How's the freqbox for you? I'd love to see how it interacts with the LPF and what is possible.

If it's funky I'm gettin one

[quote name='zawinul' timestamp='1441355168' post='2858139']

[/quote] Loads of good suggestions in this and the "trouser flapping" thread already, and I wouldn't discount an old school Q Tron, but as it sounds you'd like to try before you buy I'd suggest the MXR M82 BEF. Readily available, super squelchy and easy to dial in.

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1441403286' post='2858735']
How's the freqbox for you? I'd love to see how it interacts with the LPF and what is possible.

If it's funky I'm gettin one
[/quote]
It's an awesome module.
It does take some getting used to but once you've 'tamed' it , it slays!!!
Compression before it helps tracking as does an EQ pedal with the treble cut and bass boosted. I run fuzz pedal(s) both before it (WM & Oxide) and after it (Mastotron) before it hits my LPF, the freqbox makes fuzz pedals come alive and mutate!! An OC2 with all direct signal off sounds great in front of it also.
I use an expression pedal in the Freq, Env & Waveform , run the oscillator out into the carrier in of the MF102 and all sort sof crazy sh*t BUT it does subtle too, its awesome as an overdrive and the mix control allows fo a plethora of understated sounds.
I've also had a blast running our drum machines through it.
I'd massively recommend one my friend.
Then start looking at the MF102 ;)

Edited by Tuco

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now pretty much nailing it...

[URL=http://s307.photobucket.com/user/ZDuarte/media/12074562_10207368447946385_6228923476129874287_n.jpg.html][IMG]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/ZDuarte/12074562_10207368447946385_6228923476129874287_n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]