Why become a member? ×

Tattoo - is this right?

dustandbarley

Hello - I've been asked by a close friend to score out the first line of "You Are My Sunshine" for a tattoo, and want to make certain what I have scored is correct.

Here is what I suggested:-

My questions are:
1) I'm treating the first bar as a lead in bar, so no crochet rest is required - is this correct?

2) The double bar-line is correct as it indicates the start of the tune excluding the lead in? If it was the case that the tune were to continue, and repeats included for a second verse, then this bar-line would be a repeat sign [b]l[/b]l: and the 3 lead in notes of the melody for the second verse would be in the last bar before a repeat sign :l[b]l[/b]

3) Should the accidental be a Bb (followed by a B preceded by a natural sign) instead of A#? I think the song may often be sung with an A natural but I think the accidental sounds nicer.

4) I'm leaving the last bar open to indicate the song should continue, and not filling the bar with rests, or cutting it all together. Any thoughts?

I don't want to get this wrong.
Cheers

Edited by dustandbarley

1) I'm treating the first bar as a lead in bar, so no crochet rest is required - is this correct? [b]YES[/b] - [b]you could add the rest and it wouldn't be wrong but what you have is perfectly acceptable. [/b]

2) The double bar-line is correct as it indicates the start of the tune excluding the lead in? If it was the case that the tune were to continue, and repeats included for a second verse, then this bar-line would be a repeat sign [b]l[/b]l: and the 3 lead in notes of the melody for the second verse would be in the last bar before a repeat sign :l[b]l[/b] [b]YES but scores tend to have a double bar at the start (like the one you have put at the end of your paragraph but WITHOUT the repeat dots). Given the context, you just have to choose whether you want to honour the tradition. I do have Bach scores where the lead in for the B sections are AFTER the repeat bar and do not feature any rests etc as with your opening bar. I think both options are reasonably common.[/b]

3) Should the accidental be a Bb (followed by a B preceded by a natural sign) instead of A#? I think the song may often be sung with an A natural but I think the accidental sounds nicer. [b]No - the A is sharpened not the B flattened as you are in the key of G which is defined by the F# rather than a Gb. In truth, the original melody note is probably the A anyway, rather than an A# - both make a form of sense but the A# is more 'jazzy' and unlikley to have been in vogue when this tune was written (1939). Unless you access the original tune as a piece of sheet music, you will have to make a decision that you are happy with.[/b]

4) I'm leaving the last bar open to indicate the song should continue, and not filling the bar with rests, or cutting it all together. Any thoughts? [b]I think it works best as you have it [/b]

I don't want to get this wrong. [b]Understandable but I think some of these 'wrongs' are not wrong in the way a spelling mistake is, just different. Many staff notation 'rules' are not universal and each composer has their own nuances.[/b]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1441276159' post='2857408']

1) I'm treating the first bar as a lead in bar, so no crochet rest is required - is this correct? [b]YES[/b] - [b]you could add the rest and it wouldn't be wrong but what you have is perfectly acceptable. [/b]
[/quote]

Hey! You've just saved him about £3.50. Now THAT is what this community is all about.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1441396510' post='2858680']
And a bass clef is easier (cheaper) than a treble. :D
[/quote]

"I'll do a bass clef for £4 but that's as low as I'll go".

With apologies to dustandbarley for not contributing anything helpful whatsoever. :) A very cool idea for a tattoo though.Would be great to see pics once your friend has had it done - if they're willing to share them of course.

Hello, and thanks for all your inputs bassers... it all helps. I like the look of the 2/4 version, and also I went on [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvPolI-pBCw"]youtube to see how the early 1939 recorded version sounds [/url] and its in E with something like this melody:-

I hadn't heard that melody before - I think I'll stick with something near the opening post. :)

Edited by dustandbarley

• 1 month later...