Why become a member? ×

Rosin shelf life

Beer of the Bass

I use Nyman rosin on my bow and the last time I picked up a new tub I was surprised at how much more pleasant it is to play with fresh rosin compared to an older tub of the same brand. I think the old tub was about four years old at that point. With that in mind, does anyone replace theirs periodically, and if so, how long do you leave it?

• 1 month later...

Dispose of any old rosin properly.
When I had a move around at home the other week I found an old tub of Petz down behind the computer desk. The heat from the computer had melted it enough to run through the hole in the bottom of the tub and it had solidified in the dining room carpet.
A chair now craftily covers that patch and my wife is none the wiser :D

I found the above true with both nyman and pops rosins. However, I bought a tub of kolstein soft about three years ago and it quickly became my favourit for sound, grab and longevity alike. I still use the same bit, although I may be a bit compulsive with putting the lid back on. I had to put it in the fridge once before using it on a hot summer day touring the states. Not much of a problem in the UK...

[quote name='herbass' timestamp='1446194537' post='2897565']
I found the above true with both nyman and pops rosins. However, I bought a tub of kolstein soft about three years ago and it quickly became my favourit for sound, grab and longevity alike. I still use the same bit, although I may be a bit compulsive with putting the lid back on. I had to put it in the fridge once before using it on a hot summer day touring the states. Not much of a problem in the UK...
[/quote]

So far I've only used Nyman, but as it's probably time for a new tub it might be worth trying the Kolstein.