Why become a member? ×

Matching DI sound with amp through cab sound

tbonepete

Hi BCers,
I'm trying to get the sound from my amp/cab to match that of the pre DI sound, however there always seems to be the baked in sound of the amp present through the cab that isn't in the clean DI sound. Is there any way to match these sounds, or is the only way to ditch the amp altogether and use a decent DI and monitor, or iem?
I've found this to be the case FOR ME with any amp that I've owned, and not just the stuff I have at the moment, so I don't think it's my Amps/cabs (even though they're not particularly good ones).
Bottom line, I want a clean flat sound that I can eq from just the bass, and not the baked in sound from the amp (with every eq control set at neither cut or boost).
A problem too far???

Cheers Pete :-)

Guest bassman7755

Its most likely the cab thats doing the colouring, most budget cabs mangle the sound quite a bit, possible in a pleasing way but in doing so can make it nigh on impossible to match the DI and the sound comming out of the cab.

You could try playing with the pre/post e.q. switch if your amp has once e.g. set it to "pre" and try to use the e.q to compensate for the speaker colouration to match the pre DI sound but thats a bit of a hack. Your probably going to need a need a higher quality cab with a more neutral sound ultimately.

Edited by bassman7755

Most bass cabs are pretty coloured, the only way you'll do this practically is to DI through the PA and use another PA speaker as your onstage monitor. You'll have to choose carefully though and probably spend a bit. Many PA speakers have limited excursion because they don't really handle all the bass without a sub, though I suppose you could use a compact sub and a top if you really wanted to go for it. I used to use the basschat 12 in their PA version with a fairly decent horn and it is the best sound I've ever achieved, the problem is knowing which PA speakers have high excursion bass drivers, though if they are active speakers with DSP built in at least you won't blow them.

I can think of a few possibilities:

Ditch the DI and mic the cab (if you can convince the techs to go for it...)

The alternative is to replace your cab for a "flat(ish)" sounding one and redo your EQ on the amp to get the sound you like, then send a post-EQ signal to the mixer from your amp's DI (if you can convince the techs to go for it...)

Otherwise, call the sound man to the stage and allow him to hear "your" sound and gently ask him to reproduce it on the PA (if you can convince him to go for it...)

That's it. Good luck! ;)

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1441313716' post='2857916']
Hi BCers,
I'm trying to get the sound from my amp/cab to match that of the pre DI sound, however there always seems to be the baked in sound of the amp present through the cab that isn't in the clean DI sound. Is there any way to match these sounds, or is the only way to ditch the amp altogether and use a decent DI and monitor, or iem?
I've found this to be the case FOR ME with any amp that I've owned, and not just the stuff I have at the moment, so I don't think it's my Amps/cabs (even though they're not particularly good ones).
Bottom line, I want a clean flat sound that I can eq from just the bass, and not the baked in sound from the amp (with every eq control set at neither cut or boost).
A problem too far???

Cheers Pete :-)
[/quote]

Depends how good your DI is.... depends how much the cab has shaped the sound...depends on post or pre options, if you have them.

TBH, I think cheap crappy DI's are a waste of time... and probably a lot of manufacturers feel the same as well..so they aren't likely to be great on cheaper amps.

If you want a cab sound...then take the cab signal..i,e close mic it... but this means the PA engr needs to work harder and have probably two signals in..and he might not have room
on the desk..and so the default signal will likely end up being the DI box anyway.

If you are doing mulit bills with 15min turnarounds...you really can't get into this sort of territory..it is more for a dedicated engr task, IMO.

Additionally, the Engr might want a clean signal and cabs might not the best way to get that...so it depends how much the Engr is going to or be willing to indulge you.

Just my 2p..

[quote name='tbonepete' timestamp='1441376924' post='2858459']
Thanks guys,
Seems an ask too far
[/quote]

It really isn't! There's two halves to the puzzle, the amp side, and the cab side. If you can run your DI post EQ and then use an accurate cab (ie minimal colouration) then the PA and cab sound should end up pretty well matched. Alternatively if you run your DI pre EQ and have a cab which is fairly full-range you can tweak the EQ to get the cab more like the FOH sound - this might also require the EQ on the bass channel on the desk to be tweaked to.

The first approach requires a fancier cab and is definitely easier and far more likely to work well whilst the second approach can work surprisingly well with quite a lot of amps and cabs but requires more effort and cunning!