Why become a member? ×

First attempt to record

Si600

I got my Zoom H4n yesterday and tried it out at last night's session. I put it at the opposite end of the room to the drums and angled both my rig and the guitarists towards it. I used the 120 degree option. Listening back to the results on the night, it's all drum and guitar dominated, I've not had chance to listen to it with anything else yet but should I expect to hear it all properly from the Zoom speaker?

Any tips for placing it? I've got a camera tripod so it can go anywhere and be height adjustable as well.

I have had a play with one and I think you really need to download it or even use headphones to hear what it has got recorded.
There are the options with added mics that really help to get a mix if placed carefully , but our rehearsal room is pants for sound , its like playing in a big biscuit tin , and as I dont get enough time to mess with the thing at gigs , it hasn't been used for a while , but with perserverance , good results are obtainable

So, first outing results. Ignore the fact that none of us can play or sing or even stay in time...

[url="http://soundcloud.com/simon-orchard/kids-in-america-002"]http://soundcloud.co...-in-america-002[/url]

[url="http://soundcloud.com/simon-orchard/la-is-burning-002"]http://soundcloud.co...-is-burning-002[/url]

I think that it is just a case of sorting the levels to be honest , there may well be things that you want to discuss , but to record what you are doing now is probably a case of positioning , use the extra mics and getting the overall mix closer volume wise . The room sounds fine , the PA and the bass a bit quiet , I am sure there are some clever ways of doing it , but its trial and error from my perspective.

A bonus to this of course, is that if the recorder is in an 'audience' position , then what it records will not be a millions miles from what the audience hears, so it might help with the overall mix , and you can then tell the guitarist to turn it down , and have the proof that he is too loud :lol:

Cheers. I positioned it in the centre of the wall facing the drums and angled my and the guitarists in towards it. Possible front row of the audience ;)

If anything it's our drummer who's a bit loud, I can go much louder, I'm around the 10 o'clock position on my amp :)

I'll play with the levels next time and see what happens.

Considering how important it is it amazes me that bands never seem to do this. Just take one whole rehearsal and go through all the sounds, tones and levels. Record the session and then listen to the recording after each song, then make the changes deemed necessary, and repeat until you've got it right.

You need to be honest with each other about tones, too. If the drums sound like cardboard boxes, the bass like a damp pillow or the guitarist like a wasp in a biscuit tin, then it needs to be discussed. I might initially be disappointed if I was told my bass sounds like Elephantine flatulance, but if I know I need to make changes and if I make those changes and can hear that the whole band sounds better for it, then I will be a lot happier. Otherwise if I am not told, I might assume my sound is ok and that the reason the band sounds poo is because of other people.

Even if it takes more than one rehearsal it is worth it. Rehearsals are there to get you gig ready, if you haven't worked on this aspect then you ain't gig ready. I am aware that you can't get it spot on without a genuine gig environment, but it's a bloomin' good start.

This is not a critique on your recordings by the way, this is praise for going to the effort of recording the sessions and trying to make sure you get it all, because you can only judge the results when you can hear everything that's going on.

I don't have any advice on the Zoom thingumie, we used to use a mono cassette player/recorder...

Edited by KingBollock

• 3 months later...

I have a Zoom H2 and have used it to good effect during Rehearsals and gigs to gather info on the sound of mine and others bands. The recorder never lies and if there are any problems then the recording will show you. For example In my previous band, we had a new female singer and she was very average at singing, but the rest of the band loved her. I recorded a gig and played it back to the rest of the band, including the singer, to prove that I wasn't just being negative, but she really couldn't sing to the required standard. The guitarist made himself look stupid by saying that the recorder made her sound 'off'.

Have a listen to your recordings and be honest with each other.

Jas