Why become a member? ×

John East preamp in a Warwick Thumb?

rmcki

Anyone out there put an East preamp in a thumb bass? 

I have a UNI-PRE and was considering swapping the out MEC. I was hoping for some advice on the results, pointers and any gotchas before commencing the operation.

your thoughts please?

IMO MEC pre-amps are quite harsh-sounding and can probably be improved on! I'm almost certainly going to try a John East BTB module in my Thumb NT6, when I have funds! Unless you're desperate for a active mids control, this may be more cost-effective alternative. cheers, Roman

• 1 month later...

[quote name='rmcki' timestamp='1441376924' post='2858458']
Anyone out there put an East preamp in a thumb bass? 

I have a UNI-PRE and was considering swapping the out MEC. I was hoping for some advice on the results, pointers and any gotchas before commencing the operation.

your thoughts please?
[/quote] how do you find the unipre?

I actually loved the UNI PRE in the thumb, much warmer tone i thought, but with enough of the Warwick sound left. Though i didn’t get on with the thumb, for some reason i couldn’t get comfortable.
This is the second thumb i've tried, an NT and now the BO, both have left me with a sore left hand, so i think it'll be a restore the MEC preamp and move it on. I think i'll look for a 5 string streamer.