Why become a member? ×

Good amp for recording with pure, pristine, but sweet hi-fi tone?

zawinul

Hi peeps

Quick question

Although I could record direct i'm thinking of getting an amp for practise and recording, i don;t gig and probably never will!

In the past I've had a Roland Jazz chorus amp, that i played a bass through at low levels, wonderful clean sound and nice chorus!!

is there a bass amp or guitar amp that would deliver a very sweet, hi -fi sound to capture all harmonics etc, something pretty pure I guess, any overdrive I could put in through pedals...

Not looking for huge output.... and also would a combo be best of seperate amp and speakers

Been looking at Techamp vt500 with bareface 210, is this overkill? Markbass? Phil jones?

difficult to demo any of this stuff myself, you need good advice

cheers

Z

• 2 weeks later...

.."An amp for practise and recording".

I don't gig and probably never will either! There maybe another way.......................? How about this:-
[b] [color=#0000ff][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4][url="http://infinitybass.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/The-Way-I-feel-Session-1-opti.jpg"][/url][/size][/font][/color][/b]

A preamp (with/without an effects send/return) and a Hi-fi amp for monitoring. Even at half-way, my NAD amp is plenty 'loud' through speakers/headphones.

The preamp doesen't have to be in a rack, the [size=4]Eden Bass Preamp Pedal is great & under 100 quid.[/size]

Guest bassman7755

I concur with SimonEdwards, I'd spend the money on a decent hifi/monitoring system for your PC, rather than an actual bass amp then you get a double benefit - you can use it for bass practice and for monitoring your recordings.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1441539270' post='2859579']
SWR Baby Blue or Electric Blue (head). Lovely stuff. Phil Jones CUB..but the one I owned had a bit of electrical fizz in the background (probably fixed a long time ago...but be aware).
[/quote]

good shout the swr studio pre is great as well, and can be found quite cheap on ebay now and again,
i have a super redhead permanently set up in my little studio, and use that now and again for getting the best of both worlds..
mic and di,
So here is a great little tip, if you want that speaker miked up sound as well,
then di the amp out and also put a mic infront of the speaker, but then throw a heavy curtain or quilt over it all
to cut the volume, you will then have a warm miked "dead" no reflection sound to mix with your now clear DI sound.
works well. worth a go to see if you like it :)

But yep, as simon says, get sorted with some good monitors first, or you wont hear what you have strived to achieved.

Edited by funkgod