Why become a member? ×

Nanyo Bass Collections are annoyingly good

Pinball

Hi, I say annoying because I have a couple next to me in my guitar rack and tend to pick them up in preference to my other basses because they are so tactile and nice to play. Two of the most tactile basses I have ever had in my hands and nice and light. I was blissfully unaware of these Japanese gems when they were being made. I'am now considering selling some of my more expensive and hard saved for items in favour of keeping the blighters,

I'm unlikely to use them for gigs as they don't have enough guts for hard rock that my higher end stuff has. Anyway I normally need 5 strings.

What to do? Keep them I guess and consider myself a lucky man :)

Here's a couple of pictures but pictures. Both are in great condition but you need to play them to appreciate them fully.

The 310 had been in its case for 20 years until I bought it and the action was awful but a bit of oily love and a tweak on the truss rod and I have a superb playing bass-plays like butter with flats on. It has beutiful wood grain too but you can't see it in the pics.

[attachment=200261:310 FR.jpg]

[attachment=200262:310 FrBod.jpg]

Not sure which model this is but it has a Gotoh bridge and tuners and a wax/oil finish. It's active so maybe a 320?? Fretless ebony board.

This one also needed a set up. The truss rod had been slackened right off for some weird reason. Again it plays great although I'm looking forward to changing the strings for some of my favourite flats.

[attachment=200264:420 FR.jpg]

[attachment=200265:420 bk2.jpg]

[attachment=200266:420 head.jpg]

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1441702815' post='2860940']

I'm unlikely to use them for gigs as they don't have enough guts for hard rock that my higher end stuff has. Anyway I normally need 5 strings.

[/quote]

I gigged one last year, now admittedly not in a hard rock band but I was impressed with the oomph factor. I plugged in to an MXR M80 pedal and then in to my Shuttle 6. Honestly it was awesomely loud and very comfortable for a three set gig.

Why did I sell it :unsure:

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1441707420' post='2860994']
I sold mine because it was so light. I was playing a Thumb at the time (followed on from a Hayman 40/40, then a P) and such a lightweight bass just felt wrong to me. I rather regret it now, it was a lovely bass.
[/quote]

I can understand that They are very light. I just weighed them with my crappy scales and the 310 is around 7ib 8oz, the fretless is about 8ib 8 oz. I thought the fretless was the lightest but was wrong. Maybe a different wood?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1441709032' post='2861013']
I gigged one last year, now admittedly not in a hard rock band but I was impressed with the oomph factor. I plugged in to an MXR M80 pedal and then in to my Shuttle 6. Honestly it was awesomely loud and very comfortable for a three set gig.

Why did I sell it :unsure:
[/quote]
I'd gig with them just not in our current band...I like the sound and the front pickup in particular has a bit of beef

[quote name='Nuf' timestamp='1441718306' post='2861150']
Played several Bass collections... A friend of mine had a very unique model as well...

[/quote]

Wowzer,, it looks slippery. Is that the original neck? It looks most un BC like with the butterfly tuners etc.

Yep, but no new neck. Here are the specs, mate !

Bass Collection DB53E.

Brand name: BASS COLLECTION
Series name: DB SERIES
Model: BASS COLLECTION DB53E
Variant of: BASS COLLECTION DB41 (4 cordes)
Dates of manufacture: 1991 to 1992
Information: BASS COLLECTION produced the DB53E between 1991 and 1992

Specifications:[list]
[*]Body material: (laminated) padauk/maple/mahogany or walnut/maple/mahogany
[*]Body shape features: asymmetrical body
[*]Body shape features: double cutaway
[*]Bridge: fixed bridge
[*]Fingerboard inlay material: abalone fingerboard inlay material
[*]Fingerboard material: ebony fingerboard
[*]Fingerboard position markers: dot fingerboard position markers
[*]Finish material: oil finish
[*]Hardware color: gold hardware
[*]Neck joint: bolt on neck
[*]Neck material: maple neck
[*]Number of frets: 24 fret
[*]Number of strings: 5 strings
[*]Pickups configuration: 2 humbucker pickups
[*]Tone controls: 2 tone controls
[*]Volume controls:2 volume controls
[/list]
[url="http://www.aoct.org/BlueBooks/Guitar/Electric/B/C139.htm"][/url]

Edited by Nuf

Well I'm still playing them all the time and have tried recording with the Fretless. It plays superbly but doesn't sound as good as my fretless P bass recorded. An upgrade is due I think so I'm about to set up a thread seeking advice....ooh also I'd be interested in a trade for a 5 for the 310 as that will be of more use to me-either that or I'll try and sell it to fund the upgrade.
Note: I've worn my fingers out over the weekend playing that fretless :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1442860780' post='2870101']
My old trans red fiver is still the one that got away for me. Traded it in against a TRB about 15years ago which sounded great but never really felt as comfortable as the Bass Collection had.
[/quote]
Don't say that I'm struggling to keep mine at the moment. I need to sell some stuff and my higher end stuff hasn't moved yet. The fretted BC at the top is being traded and I'm just contemplating if I should move on the fretless

Note: I love them all thats the trouble

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1442951828' post='2870942']
"Nurse! This man seems to suffering from chronic GAS." :P
[/quote]

I am on a plane beyond Gas, Seriously I love playing different instruments as they inspire me. Today is new bass day and its a Zoot.

• 3 weeks later...

A long time ago, My first "real" bass ( after a nasty but playable p bass by marlin) was a 4 string bass collection. Must have done 1000 gigs with it then switched to the 5 string version........ Great little cheap basses, super light super slim necks too.....