Why become a member? ×

J-tone Big double bass pickup

Beer of the Bass

I think these have come up on here before, but I thought it might be worth mentioning in case anyone is looking for a cheap and very workable pickup. A couple of months ago I picked up one of the J-Tone pickups which are sold on eBay, the black rubber covered one which looks a little like a K&K Bass Max. While I prefer to use my mic setup where practical, I've used the J-Tone at several gigs now and I'm quite impressed with it. Mine is the same model as this: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-tone-Big-double-Bass-Pick-up-/200613316399?hash=item2eb57c472f"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2eb57c472f[/url]
Like any bridge pickup, it's not "my bass only louder" but it's well balanced and not harsh at the top end. The output seems quite healthy straight into the 1Mohm input of my GK MB200, it's not noisy and seems quite feedback resistant. One of the gigs was a party in a barn with PA reinforcement, and it coped with that volume without any problems. On my bass it sounds better than the Upton Rev Solo II did. The jack mounting (though functional) is perhaps not the most attractive, so I'm using a Lando jack clamp instead. But for £28 it's hard to find fault with! I haven't tried any of the other models, but I can confirm that this one works and works well.

Edited by Beer of the Bass