Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Super Symmetry - Compressor

Mwoit

Ovnilab review: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/darkglass.shtml

Concluding paragraph below. (I think it is fair to say that Doug at Darkglass has done a really good job.)

[quote]Compared to the MXR M87, the Darkglass is larger, but better constructed; and the M87 has brighter highs, while the DG has a fatter warmer sound. The Empress is the same size and quality; it has better highs and clarity, while the DG has fuller lows. The Keeley Bassist is smaller and more neutral in tone, while the DG has MUCH better metering. I actually think I'd recommend the Darkglass most to someone who was considering a tube compressor for its warmth or "vintage sound", but not wanting to use an uncommon power supply. It's quite similar to the Smoothie with the tone tilted a bit to the bass side, though again the DG has better metering. The Origin Cali76TX has a better combination of deep lows and clear highs, and I just love the Cali's action, but of course it is much bigger, and lacks the blend function. [/quote]

I think he means the amount of pedalboard space it takes up. Rotate the Keeley 90 degrees and it probably is the same size ish.

It's a great review by Ovnilabs, slightly surprised at the emphasis he places on the dark valve like tone he gets from it. I find the pedal very transparent, with increased emphasis on lows and a tiny attenuation of highs. But to most people, it just sounds exactly like your tone.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1444564117' post='2884092']
I found that review quite negative! Still comes out well though
[/quote]

If you check out the guys comments on the Talkbass thread, it certainly wasn't intended to be negative :)

He is a big fan of the Cali so I think he was always going to compare it negatively to that, however for me the compressors are not comparable. Different pedals, to be honest I would rather like both! Would be happy to use a Cali as an 'effect' as opposed to an always on comp. Sadly I sold mine to fund the DG, but out of the two I certainly prefer the DG.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1444575721' post='2884213']

If you check out the guys comments on the Talkbass thread, it certainly wasn't intended to be negative :)

He is a big fan of the Cali so I think he was always going to compare it negatively to that, however for me the compressors are not comparable. Different pedals, to be honest I would rather like both! Would be happy to use a Cali as an 'effect' as opposed to an always on comp. Sadly I sold mine to fund the DG, but out of the two I certainly prefer the DG.
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of VCA comps so trying to resist!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bass Pedal Geek' timestamp='1442515483' post='2867544']
I got a review unit from DG a week ago or so. If you're want to hear how it sounds, I have uploadet the full review along with a bundh of audio clips here:

http://bass-pedals.com/darkglass-super-symmetry-review/index.html
[/quote]
Great review and a great site, which I have now bookmarked