Why become a member? ×

Nbd ibanez talman

darren

Got a talman from tomann on Wednesday and took it to band practice on yesterday. Probably the best sounding bass I've played. Never had an active bass before and it's great fun. Neck feels really nice. Chunky in a good way. Reminds me of an epiphone jc neck but in a satin finish. Build quality is fantastic. I love it!

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1442004346' post='2863823']
Thanks. Really didn't know what to expect at this price point. Really happy. Can't wait to gig it next Saturday.
[/quote]

Aye, the Ibanez stuff is just astounding value. I picked up a SR300 earlier in the year (the cheapest of the proper Sound-Gear basses) and it still stuns me how great it feels and plays. I must say though, I really do love the look of your bass and a great color too.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1442012064' post='2863879']
They look great and I'd love one to use alongside my BB424 but I hate hate hate 2+2 head stocks with a passion! Such a shame :(
[/quote]

Shane that. I think it looks cool but each to their own. I've owned a 424 incidentally and I'd say the build quality is similar. The only components that are noticeably cheap are the tuning pegs. To me this floors the 424 in terms of tone but it would be a killer pairing.

Edited by darren

The p pickup sounds fantastic. Cut a little bass on the active eq and it sounds pretty similar to my fender bass but with more umph. The jazz pickup is a little quieter than the p but I may need to adjust the hight. That said the pickups are loud. The tone with both pickups blended is huge. Really great ballsy tone. I have no desire to change the pickups at all. Really impressed. I've read a review that said it can approach a Ricky tone if the treble is cranked. Not sure if that's true because I've never played one. I will say that the tone is very usable no matter where you set the treble. Can get clanky when cranked to max but still delivers the low end. Boosting the bass can get boomy if you go too far. Loads of tones available here.

Also, don't know if I got lucky with this one as quality might be variable due to price point. But out of the box the string height was correct according to the booklet. 2.5mm on the twelfth fret at the E side and 2mm at the G side. Intonation is spot on and the bass was practically in tune. Each peg needed tightening about half a turn. I assume they loosened the strings slightly for transport.

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1442062394' post='2864181']
I wonder if a Fender neck could be persuaded to fit? I'd buy a green Talman tomorrow if I thought the spare maple fingerboard Squire neck I have lying around would go on it.
[/quote]

Indeed. Could we persuade the OP to do some measuring, please? :)

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1442081622' post='2864331']
Indeed. Could we persuade the OP to do some measuring, please? :)
[/quote]

Yes, we'd need neck pocket width and length and probably distance from the end of the neck to the bridge (looks to me like a standard 5-screw BBOT bridge). Looking at the pictures on the Thomann website the neck fixing screws don't appear to be at Fender standard spacing but that needn't be a huge problem.

P

No need to take the neck off your lovely new bass if you're not confident about doing it Darren. I reckon one of us tinkerers will finally take the plunge and buy a Talman partly in order to see if a Fender neck will fit. 62mm at the last fret sounds not too far off.

P

I've had a sunburst one for a few months now. I'm a bit annoyed because I really wanted the mint green one but could only find black or burst at the time (in the EU). Distributors said they weren't getting the other finishes in, but I guess things change. Now that I can get the mint green one I'm going to sell the burst one.

Stupidly good basses for the money. The fret ends are a wee bit rough on mine but only when you go looking for them.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1442146261' post='2864646']
I've had a sunburst one for a few months now. I'm a bit annoyed because I really wanted the mint green one but could only find black or burst at the time (in the EU). Distributors said they weren't getting the other finishes in, but I guess things change. Now that I can get the mint green one I'm going to sell the burst one.

Stupidly good basses for the money. The fret ends are a wee bit rough on mine but only when you go looking for them.
[/quote]

Yeah I was told the mint green wasn't coming to Europe. That's why I held off. Sorely tempted to get one now.