Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Image vs AER basscube 2

basstimg

I currently use a 1960's hybrid Czech bass with a ehrlund. I am using a gk mbe and play a mixture of duo trio quartet etc but need a lot more volume for some of the larger gigs I do with a singer , guitarist and a very loud drummer.(like really loud)

Anyway I have been looking into Amps and I think I have narrowed things down to either acoustic image or an AER bass cube 2 (hard to find reviews) any advice about these and what might work would be great !

Do you use a preamp of any sorts? I have a Wilson K4 pickup, and use an Acoustic Image Ten2 with a Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre Acoustic preamp, and have so much headroom volume wise, it's unbelievable! My preamp output rarely goes about '11 o clock', and the volume & master on my amp rarely need to go above '10 o clock'.
I have not tried the AER bass cube to make any comment, but I can certainly give a fantastic recommendation for the AI. Perfect for when playing with loud band members, and great to use as personal monitoring on stage whilst a line is also taken to the front-of-house.

If it's the GK MB150E combo that you're using and you're reasonably happy with the sound, you could try an extension cab for more volume (the MBX112 I think) instead of a new amp. You've probably considered this already but I just thought I'd point it out just in case.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I do use the ehrlund pre amp but don't use any other equipment just straight into the gk. How much wattage does your Ten2 I am sure I have read that the wattage dropped from 800 to about 600 with the series 4 ? I do have a gk extension but I am finding that it just isn't working for me on the larger gigs I am doing.

Thanks again guys

Edited by basstimg

Tech Specs for the Ten2 can be found here: [url="http://www.acousticimg.com/#/ten2_s4/specs"]http://www.acousticimg.com/#/ten2_s4/specs[/url]

All I know is that with the Ten2 and my Radial preamp, I've got more juice than the Tropicana factory! :) Check out the Radial Tonebone PZ-Pre if you get chance. Unbelievable piece of gear!

I use a Clarus with a Ten2 Ex with double bass and the Wal and it is loud enough for anything I do although I accept it's not brilliant for really loud Rock gigs (even then it is not a massive compromise). I heard Sam Vicary play his 5-string Roscoe through my set-up as well on a gig with the Dominic Marshall Trio and it sounded huge. I got rid of my Eden Metro as I was not doing enough commercial electric gigs to justify holding onto it but the AI set-up means I have rarely regretted the fact. I have to say I found the MB150S and E wholly inadequate (have had both with and without extension cabs). They are not loud enough and I hate the 'boxy' sound of them. Can't speak about the AER stuff, though. I have never seen or heard it.

• 4 weeks later...