Why become a member? ×

Gone and ordered myself a DB

Jimryan

Morning all,

A while back I had a gear4music DB, it was cheap but it served it's purpose and got me into playing an upright (much more so than a Dean Pace did years ago). Although many knock these entry level instruments, it met my needs and I was happy with it. Then due to circumstances I moved it on to a BCer and that was that.

Yesterday, after months of seeing signs that I "need" to get back into upright playing, I ordered an upright. In fact, one that was discussed in a thread recently. It's one of the ones from Thomann, only their cheapest one as its all I can afford and can justify spending at the moment. They've offered to set it up for me, I'm going to stick a set of rotosounds on it when it arrives and once I'm used to playing one again, a pickup will be added.

I cannot wait for its arrival and it cannot come quick enough.

Cheers,

James

Edited by Jimryan

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1442692040' post='2868848']
You'll love it. And you'll get a good service from Thomann, by all accounts.

Have a ball;. :)
[/quote]

I genuinely cannot wait. Last time I owned an upright I loved it. I've heard good things about Thomann and so far they've emailed me constantly about what I'd like done. It just needs to arrive now and I'll be off.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1443200358' post='2873101']

Don't panic, I've read enough advice threads and searched the MU for local ones
[/quote]

I never panic, me :)

Just keen for you to have the most fun possible, and I know from hard experience that going it alone can be frustrating/painful in the extreme...

Last time I owned one I got on fine and was eager to dive straight in. This time round I want to really focus on technique and have been watching a few videos on discoverdoublebass. The main thing I've got to remember is not to collapse my thumb as I can see me struggling with that one. Can't wait and Monday can't come quick enough...just hope the sound post is fine.