Why become a member? ×

NBD! Finally, I understand the appeal :D

Mornats

Nothing wrong with a decent P, is all you actually need and many famous players seem to gravitate to them eventually. Congrats!

I notice yours has a skunk stripe at the back. Is it a one piece neck or a separate maple fingerboard?

Also, that G string position away from the edge would bug me also. The older Fenders used to have multiple grooved string saddles. I wonder if you managed to get one as a spare part (or even all four) you could space the strings as you pleased.

https://www.allparts.com/BB-0355-001-Vintage-Bass-Bridge_p_590.html for example

It's got a separate maple fingerboard. Most of the join is almost invisible and you can only see it where the wood grain differs or there's a small colouring from a knot in the wood on one part.

A new bridge would help the string alignment for sure. If I move the strings to one side with my fingers they will all line up correctly. At the moment it's not causing a problem other than an aesthetic one so I am quite tempted to leave it. Grooved saddles would be an answer though and probably not as big a change as swapping the bridge out completely.

Edit: These would do the job: http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/bridge-parts/products/bass-bridge-barrels-vintage-style-4 - £15 too.

Edited by Mornats

With ref to the strings not aligning, this is very common on Fenders. More often than not it's a fairly simple but slightly scary job to put it right. I've done it a couple of times now.

You need to loosen the neck screws and then exert some force on the neck (you need firm pressure but don't be heavy handed), from the head stock end, in your case pressure on the top and push down. This is sometimes easier with another set of hands. One person to push and the other to then retighten the screws.

Another option would be threaded saddles as used on some of the vintage Fenders, which allows you more adjustment.

I'd be a tad nervous about doing the neck forcing thing Gary but I'm liking the idea of changing the saddles. Is the idea to push the entire neck down towards the bottom of the bass or to get it to rotate in its socket a touch so the angle is adjusted?

Nice jazz Sykilz. As a (former?) jazz bass man that all white one would have been top of my list - it's a stunner.

Did you try angling the pickups a bit, i.e having the E lower than the A, which angles the pickup relative to the strings?
Also, you can have one of the saddle screws a bit lower than the other, thus moving the string either direction a small amount, I find this is usually enough.
To be honest, never noticed any audible difference whether the string goes straight over the poles or not!
Bizarrely, when I got the jazz the choice was between it and a P identical to yours, I just preferred the jazz neck and it was slightly nicer balanced. My first ever bass, back in '85 was a Squier P in white and maple!!!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1443119920' post='2872460']
A couple of minor gripes now that I've had it a week. On the pic below you'll notice that the strings don't pass directly over all of the pole pieces. If you check out the E and G strings and note how far they are from the sides of the neck you'll see they're not quite centre either. It doesn't affect the playability or the sound or the volume of each individual string so it's only my OCD it bugs. I don't think I should be bothered by it really.
[/quote]

Well it looks great and if the performance isn't effected why worry. Would you like a replacement...probably not :)
The crackle on the other hand..yep they should get that sorted ASAP

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1443129025' post='2872575']

.....Also, that G string position away from the edge would bug me also. The older Fenders used to have multiple grooved string saddles. I wonder if you managed to get one as a spare part (or even all four) you could space the strings as you pleased.

[url="https://www.allparts.com/BB-0355-001-Vintage-Bass-Bridge_p_590.html"]https://www.allparts...idge_p_590.html[/url] for example
[/quote]

Doesn't bug me, I must say - and I thought I was a bit OCD lol

Yes, those multi-grooved bridge saddles are good
I have one on my RW Jazz, and it does allow you to shift the position of the strings a bit

You can get them - I've seen them on ebay - bit pricey mind
and from the States. So maybe you can find a supplier in the UK?

One came up for sale in the UK on ebay recently
and I almost bought it to fit to another bass - wish I had now

Beautiful, elegant looking bass. You can groove that E-string saddle yourself and set the string where you want it; steady as you go, step at a time, with the proper files. Of course, a luthier would do it in no time. I would be very loath to force a neck, period.

Great looking bass.

W.

Your P looks good, I am always drawn to the look of them, but don't enjoy playing them.
The 'not aligned with the pole pieces' thing is pretty common I think.

Interesting to hear positive things about PMT in Bristol. I have been in there several times, when they haven't been busy at all where it has been really difficult to get anyone who was bothered enough to help (although once they were actually helpful). One time when I actually was intending to buy something I got fed up of the effort and left. Don't bother going in there any more.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1444678568' post='2885066']
Interesting to hear positive things about PMT in Bristol. I have been in there several times, when they haven't been busy at all where it has been really difficult to get anyone who was bothered enough to help (although once they were actually helpful). One time when I actually was intending to buy something I got fed up of the effort and left. Don't bother going in there any more.
[/quote]

I have spent rather a lot of money in there over the years. Not sure if that has helped or not. It's strange though, a lot of stores do seem to be very inconsistent in how they treat some people compared to others. I'm in there quite often though which may help too.

• 6 months later...

Bit of a resurrection of this post with an update. This is now definitely my number 1 bass. I just love it. Interestingly, as the strings on it die off it sounds better and better. I've had a set of Elixirs waiting to go on this since October and they're still sat in their packet. I played this at Mr Wolf's in Bristol a few weeks ago through my MarkBass CMD 121P and the bass player for the next band complimented me on the sound of it :)

I thought the exact same as the OP and then I picked up one of those cheap Sue Ryder P Basses from a few years back and WOW!! I loved my high performance basses until then, from the Cort A Series to the Marleaux Consat. I don't feel a P can do 'everything', as it can lack that punch at times, but it's definitely a staple to partner with something like a Jazz (or that Marleaux Consat I mentioned :gas: ).

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1462683828' post='3044829']

And a rounded shape so he cant rest thumb on it is how I read it
[/quote]

Aye, it had a more rounded shape and sat closer to the strings so I couldn't rest my thumb on it like I usually do on a P or a J. I probably would have bought it otherwise. Still, I'm totally happy with my P :)

I'm going to wait until the strings are completely dead before putting the Elixirs on but they've been on since September and just sound better and better as they fade!

Completely understand - I have owned a number of Fenders down the years and not got on with one of them - I think I was convinced that with something so industry standard it had to be [i]my[/i] fault they felt rubbish, so I swore off them for good some years ago. But, whadya know I'm in RedDogMusic last week and I thought "those Squier Affinity PJs look nice at a nice price...." Tried one out and was blown away, great neck great sound, great build. So, I bought it and it hasnt been out of my hands since. Strange world.

Edited by Defo

Ah a good precision is a companion for life mate. The ultimate plug in and play bass.

I've had all sorts of basses along the way too - some Bass Collections, Westones, Tokais, a Charvel in the 80s etc, but from quite early on the precision I had was the best, most reliable bass.

There's a reason they're so popular. No they don't do lots of things that basses with active electronics, 24-fret necks or exotic woods and hardware do.

But they do one thing very well - give a really good, universal, fat, usable bass tone which has laid the foundations of the last six decades of music. That's good enough for me.

I've gigged one for the last 20 years and it's fair to say I'd take one onstage anywhere and be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're still concerned where to rest your thumb, you could always get a thumb rest! All early precision started off with a finger rest as everyone played with the thumb, but then it got moved to the top edge of the pick guard as a thumb rest. You can buy them on a well known online auction site. I had a 70s precision with one fitted but I probably still ended up using the edge of the pickup. They look retro though.