Why become a member? ×

Fenders are rubbish......But

Thunderbird

So I had always used Fender P or J basses in the past I have had a couple of Mexicans and a couple of USA ones and used them for quite a long time but then I started trying out other makes of Bass such as Traben, Jackson,ESP etc etc and IMO they blew the Fenders out of the water in every respect and I have not owned a Fender for a while now as I felt that they were crap compared to the other basses about and they are very overpriced IMO.....But I still have a Fender hankering even though I would never really use it as my other basses are better so I wonder why I would want another Fender could it just be that a Fender is the bass everyone should have in there arsenal? who knows anyone else had this thought?

I've tried lots of different basses over the last couple of years, some fantastic, some not so fantastic. I'm back to my USA Fender P Bass now, because it's very simple, it sounds great, it plays really well and it's just about the only bass that doesn't get in the way of my playing, or even my thinking about my playing - it doesn't make me wonder if there's something better out there I should be playing and it's good for ANY kind of music or genre. And for me that's the best bass there is.

Edited by discreet

I've just done the opposite. I thought all Fender's were just plain old basses so I've gone round the houses playing and buying all sorts of different style basses including some Fender clones. Then today I went out and bought a fantastic Mexican Fender Standard Precision and I'm wondering why I didn't just start with this one in the first place.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1442680317' post='2868745']
Then today I went out and bought a fantastic Mexican Fender Standard Precision and I'm wondering why I didn't just start with this one in the first place.
[/quote]

That's it really, you found a good one today but so many players get put off because they happen to pick up and try a not so good one, (of which there are plenty), or a poorly set up one, or one with worn out/dead strings.

Find a good one though and it is such a pleasing thing and feels so right.

:)

Another car analogy: I think of Fender as being the Ford Fiesta of the bass world. Solid, reliable and the benchmark for good quality. There are also a huge number of cars from around the world of which some are cheaper and better and some aren't.
Personally, I have never much liked Fenders. Or Ford Fiestas, either.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1442677713' post='2868725']
I still have a Fender hankering even though I would never really use it as my other basses are better so I wonder why I would want another Fender could it just be that a Fender is the bass everyone should have in there arsenal? who knows anyone else had this thought?[/quote]

Nope, I've never thought of basses as weapons in an arsenal, or that everyone should own or use anything.

Edited by Passinwind

I'm perfectly happy with my MIA P have no wish to try any other bass (unless someone can find me a left handed one with a maple neck), mind you, being cack handed my choices are limited, I think the fact that the bass you see most amongst professional bass players is a P says it all

Edited by PaulWarning

I have 14 basses of different makes and models. At home I muck about with them all and find some better than others for differing types of music. When we play, I think, which two will I take ? More or less every time, I take the P and the J ! Why is this? I think it's just that they sound and feel just right especially for sitting in the mix.
All I know is I like my Fenders!

Fender-holic here, but I wouldn`t say anyone needed to have a Fender in their collection, especially if it`s unlikely to get played. Within budget constraints of course, unless building a collection, better to just stick with the basses we prefer to play.

I love Fenders.

My only problem is that, like a lot of people I think the USA range is currently overpriced when you look at what else is available at that price point.. They're great instruments but I'm just not sure that they're £600-£1000 better than a made in Mexico.

Sold my 2012 USA Standard Jazz to fund a Stingray HH. Didn't regret getting the Stingray as it is a fantastic bass but regretted getting rid of the Jazz almost immediately (as I was packing it up to send off to its new owner). 12 months later - gassing like mad for a Jazz. Looking around at Jazzes for sale in the basses for sale section on here and ebay. Looking at new. Never really used Gumtree but one evening I had a quick look on there and there was a bass that was finished in the same colour scheme as the bass I had sold (Oly white, maple, tort). Had a quick look at the serial no, checked it against old photos from when I sold the bass and....yep - same bass. Contacted the seller, bought my old Jazz back. Happy happy happy :)

I sold my US Jazz and to be honest I don't really miss it. I have a Mexican fretless Jazz which is fantastic (not that I play it often). I occasionally gig my Squier P-bass Special (PJ), but none of my other basses resembles a Fender. My main gigging bass is my 4003.

Like others have said, Fender is the standard. They have a certain kudos. I've personally just kinda drifted away from them and like other basses of a more "raw" persuasion :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1442680822' post='2868747']
I miss the one Fender that I've owned, a Highway One Jazz. It was just a nice plain, simple bass that played well and sounded like a Jazz, but somehow the whole package was satisfying.
[/quote]

Love my Highway One Jazz, in Daphne Blue. When I set out I thought, no point buying Fender, you'll just pay for the name. Then I went into Mansons in Exeter to while away an hour or so whilst my better half shopped for clothes, Tried out the second hand but unused (bought for a daughter who didn't use it) Highway and it just felt right, still does. £400 too so a bit of a bargain.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1442680868' post='2868748']
That's it really, you found a good one today but so many players get put off because they happen to pick up and try a not so good one, (of which there are plenty), or a poorly set up one, or one with worn out/dead strings.

Find a good one though and it is such a pleasing thing and feels so right.

:)
[/quote]

You got it, a good bass is a good bass.......add to that that most Fenders are uncomplicated and easy to live with so you have a winning combination. I find the same with Stingrays

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1442687630' post='2868806']
What I play, I can do on a Fender and that's it.
[/quote]

A key point. I'm no virtuoso up-the-dusty-end multi-string solo shredder-type - I like to lay down a good groove with with a great drummer and be part of a killer rhythm section. A Precision is the tool for this job, imho. I'm never going to be such a rarefied and esoteric player that a P won't be good enough for me.

Edited by discreet

After reading through it seems that Fenders are more favored as they are a kind of set and forget bass and I can understand why they are used a lot for gigging as they are simple and there is not much to go wrong on them I guess but I think WOT has a really good point about those Jake basses they look great and I have not heard any bad things about them regarding quality and reliability :) The same goes for Sandbergs great basses and really well priced compared to a Fender

I think I am not going to go out of my way to get another Fender as I do still believe that my other basses just blow them away but never say never lol but I must say I would not buy another Fender blind as the quality is shocking for the price they are , I think that every instrument they make should be great quality but it is about 50/50 now I would guess.

At the end of the day I suppose its horses for courses :)