Why become a member? ×

Interesting website about ergonomics of DB playing

Hector

Found this on my cyber travels. Thought it might be of general interest, as there's some valuable information:

http://www.artist-musikerhalsan.se/en/musician-ergonomics/33-double-bass-ergonomics

(Only had a look at the linked section, but the list on the left has some interesting-looking bits and bobs about general posture and stance considerations)

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1443179951' post='2872855']
Interesting, you mean the different requirements of posture for playing arco vs. playing pizz? Like, how changing the endpin height or bass angle for that reason can have an effect on the left hand?
[/quote]

Exactly that. i changed the endpin height to better suit arco, but there's still the issue of the inevitable change in the angle between the arms. I'm guessing there are two factors at play; one is the extra six inches or more further down the string that playing arco involves compared to Piz, and the second is the bow pressure making the bass push back somewhat against the left hand and so restricting mobility.

No doubt a teacher could help with this, but that's not practical where I am. I'm experimenting though with posture changes to make sure that the balance of the bass isn't constraining my left hand. I do think that's the bigger of the two problems.

It's the loss of hard-won left hand facility that's putting me right off arco atm.

Sorry for the fairly pointless whinge. I know a teacher is the only answer. :)

Edited by fatback

Try playing sitting down - took a bit of experimenting to find the right relationship between seat height and bass angle, but the mechanical benefits of having the bass completely stable with no input from either hand is great for arco and pizz. I found that a lowish seat with both feet comfortably flat on the floor was most comfortable, YMMV but worth a try as long as you don't play a lot of slap.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1443275662' post='2873561']
Try playing sitting down - took a bit of experimenting to find the right relationship between seat height and bass angle, but the mechanical benefits of having the bass completely stable with no input from either hand is great for arco and pizz. I found that a lowish seat with both feet comfortably flat on the floor was most comfortable, YMMV but worth a try as long as you don't play a lot of slap.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give it a go.

I guess I've been reluctant because if I use the bow gigging, it'll be standing up. But really, I do want to get bowing again. I wonder if I'll have to change the spike height much for sitting? Another change I'm trying to avoid. :)

When I first started experimenting with sitting, I didn't have an adjustable stool, so I used a folding bar stool with a seat height of 28.5 inches and experimented with resting my feet on various flightcases, phone books etc. As well as discovering that the ideal seat height for me was 24.5 inches, I discovered that sitting on such a tall stool meant that I needed to extend the endpin exactly the same amount as the ideal for me to stand and play pizz. Using the tall stool with a suitable footrest, I can transition between sitting and standing very easily without making any adjustment to the spike.

[size=4]I remember Michael Klinghoffer explaining how the instrument weight can help increasing left hand power[/size] in one part of [color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]"Mr. Karr would you teach me How to Drive a Double Bass" videos. He shows it is possible to play[/font][/color] not using his thumb, just let the bass leaning against his fingers a little bit[font="Roboto, arial, sans-serif"][color="#333333"]...[/color][/font]

[quote name='ljbass' timestamp='1443352857' post='2874008']
[size=4]I remember Michael Klinghoffer explaining how the instrument weight can help increasing left hand power[/size] in one part of [color=#333333][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]"Mr. Karr would you teach me How to Drive a Double Bass" videos. He shows it is possible to play[/font][/color] not using his thumb, just let the bass leaning against his fingers a little bit[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][color=#333333]...[/color][/font]
[/quote]

I learned a lot from that when I started, and pizz it works a dream. Arco, I have trouble keeping the weight off the left hand while putting weight on the bow.

Did you ever ask yourself why we bother at all? :D