Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett

Bilbo

He seems to be immune to external influences, which I like - he just does what his thing.

However, it means he has no taste filter, so sometimes it's extremely good and sometimes it's laughable.

I mean.. he signed this artwork off for a start.

But he co-wrote 'Blood On the Rooftops', so his place in my own personal heaven is guaranteed.

Funnily enough I had the '[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Unauthorised-Biography-Steve-Hackett/dp/B00002642B"]Unauthorised Biography[/url]' on in the car this weekend. I picked it up years ago on the cheap. It probably gets played a couple of times a year but I always enjoy it even though I was never that big a Genesis fan.

I avoided getting tickets to his upcoming shows on account of less than luke-warm reception to the new album. Then I saw that the setlist contains minimal Wolflight and a whole load of his solo material and Genesis material that got my thumbs up and wasn't covered by the Genesis Extended show I saw at Hammersmith last year (which was incredible, but didn't include any Wind & Wuthering material, a bit criminal that)

Being already booked on the night of the London gig, I'm now signed up to the Basingstoke show. I never thought, etc Anyway here's the youtube trailer for the tour, with ample cringe moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfYGQGkhiJs

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1442834176' post='2869776']
He seems to be immune to external influences, which I like - he just does what his thing.

However, it means he has no taste filter, so sometimes it's extremely good and sometimes it's laughable.

I mean.. he signed this artwork off for a start.

But he co-wrote 'Blood On the Rooftops', so his place in my own personal heaven is guaranteed.
[/quote]

I know absolutely nothing about the man but that is a hilarious piece of cover art....

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442836940' post='2869825']
Anyway here's the youtube trailer for the tour, with ample cringe moments.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfYGQGkhiJs[/media]
[/quote]

I've probably written 'LOL' a handful of moments in my life. And now will be one of them.

LOL

Oh, Nad Sylvan. How could I forget him? That's another classic example of Hackett's absent taste filter in action. Useless.

I wish he would do more instrumental tunes. They were always the best bits from the past. I remember an interview talking of Dik Cadbury suggesting the dropping of lyrics on a couple of instrumentals cause they worked far better without words. I'm sure Spectral Mornings was one of them. Very individual player, no one else like him.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1442837795' post='2869833']
I wish he would do more instrumental tunes. They were always the best bits from the past. I remember an interview talking of Dik Cadbury suggesting the dropping of lyrics on a couple of instrumentals cause they worked far better without words. I'm sure Spectral Mornings was one of them. Very individual player, no one else like him.
[/quote]

All in a good cause, so good on them, but otherwise... well you know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49cwM7b1Wk

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442841835' post='2869899']
Got any examples of this?
[/quote]

Well, his playing is always great but he should never be allowed to write a song without some editing, assistance, collaboration or co-arrangement... there are a few Howe only Asia B-sides whci could REALLY benefit from the help of a co-writer to season the cheesy choruses and middle eights. "Lyin' to Yourself" springs to mind. Plus some of his solo album stuff is beautifully played by a wee bit cheesily written nonetheless.

I heard the new album recently and in contrast to his early solo albums I can confirm it sounds absolutely, bloody awful. Totally bereft of interesting musical ideas, swamped in a soup of digital reverb and songs with pitiful lyrics. I'm amazed why someone can't jump in and tell him where he's going wrong.
Dreadful artwork too.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1442848143' post='2869961']
I heard the new album recently and in contrast to his early solo albums I can confirm it sounds absolutely, bloody awful. Totally bereft of interesting musical ideas, swamped in soup of digital reverb and songs with pitiful lyrics. I'm amazed why someone can't jump in and tell him where's he's going wrong.
Awful artwork too.
[/quote]This. And the album before that was the same.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442837987' post='2869837']

All in a good cause, so good on them, but otherwise... well you know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49cwM7b1Wk
[/quote]

Now that's what it's all about. Pure dead brullyint! as they say in a big city in the west of Scotland.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442841835' post='2869899']

Got any examples of this?
[/quote]

Siberian Khatru, parts of Relayer. He always sounds like he is playing one notch faster than he can and that it is all about to fall apart. Makes it edgy. Don't misinterpret me. I love most of his work and I think he is a highly underrated composer. But, compared to a clean player like, say Al Di Meola, he is all over the place. Hackett has some really clunky moments across the Genesis era and beyond but, again, I like his stuff (saw him at Reading in 1981 and somewhere else I can't remember).

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1442855896' post='2870048']
Siberian Khatru, parts of Relayer. He always sounds like he is playing one notch faster than he can and that it is all about to fall apart. Makes it edgy. Don't misinterpret me. I love most of his work and I think he is a highly underrated composer. But, compared to a clean player like, say Al Di Meola, he is all over the place. Hackett has some really clunky moments across the Genesis era and beyond but, again, I like his stuff (saw him at Reading in 1981 and somewhere else I can't remember).
[/quote]

Khatru goes on a bit for me but is generally ok, Relayer is my favourite Yes album. Funny old world music intit

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1442852382' post='2870010']
And another thing. I would love to see a collaboration between Hackett and Tony Banks. Before Mr. Hacket starts lobbing heavy objects in my direction, I don't think that will ever happen now, sadly.
[/quote]That's a hell of an idea. Tony once (kind of) said that Steve was his ally with the more proggy/noodly musical pieces.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1442866328' post='2870155']
That's a hell of an idea. Tony once (kind of) said that Steve was his ally with the more proggy/noodly musical pieces.
[/quote]Scratch that, what we need is for Peter Gabriel to quit whining, Collins to get fit again and we've got us the best thing to hit Ticketmaster/Stubhub in ages!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1442866321' post='2870154']
When you say "clean" do you mean acoustic btw?
[/quote]

No - clean note execution. If Al Di Meola plays sixteenth notes, you can hear every one. If Howe plays anything 'fast', it generally sounds scrappy as f***. It has it's own personality, though, whereas Al Di Meola can sound overly clinical.