Why become a member? ×

Steve Hackett

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1442910680' post='2870353']
If Howe plays anything 'fast', it generally sounds scrappy as f***. It has it's own personality, though, whereas Al Di Meola can sound overly clinical.
[/quote]

Fully agree.
There's a good example with Steve Morse playing one of Howe's acoustical songs to perfection, and it lacks the character, IMO of course.
I disliked Howe's timing before hearing the Morse version, but don't do that anymore, even though it often makes me cringe.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1442910680' post='2870353']
No - clean note execution. If Al Di Meola plays sixteenth notes, you can hear every one. If Howe plays anything 'fast', it generally sounds scrappy as f***. It has it's own personality, though, whereas Al Di Meola can sound overly clinical.
[/quote]

I think that some of the charm of Howe's playing for me is that "electric guitar line falling down the stairs" element to the way in which he plays. it certainly adds an air of excitement and energy into his playing. Also, I'll bet that's how he intends it to sound and plays it accordingly rather than just being "scrappy".

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1442848143' post='2869961']
I heard the new album recently and in contrast to his early solo albums I can confirm it sounds absolutely, bloody awful. Totally bereft of interesting musical ideas, swamped in a soup of digital reverb and songs with pitiful lyrics. I'm amazed why someone can't jump in and tell him where he's going wrong.
Dreadful artwork too.
[/quote]Digital reverb - is that what makes it sound awful.
His taste filter started to slip in '81 when someone told him he had a singing voice. Steve's in the last chance saloon (again - the Genesis Revisited tour revived his profile a bit). He's back in decent sized venues on the back of the Genesis shows but it's only a matter of time. It's believed his ex wife Kim Poor took him to the cleaners so he's very possibly going to be on the album/tour treadmill for some time.
It's a real shame because had he managed his output a bit more he could have been putting a good quality album out less often. But hindsight's always 20/20 and rock stars have notoriously poor vision.
His next few xmas's would come all in one go if Gabriel would relent and do some Genesis shows (specifically The Lamb) but I doubt he's holding his breath.
As I've stated previously in this thread I'm a huge fan and it saddens me that he's scratching around making a living on his now very old reputation.

My own contribution is his drummer, Gary O'Toole, taught me to play drums. So I should be positive but it all sounds so dated somehow. His guitar work is fine but not memorable. I would say that Steve Howe made a greater contribution to the guitar repertoire than Hackett.

But that's just my humble view.

Peace
Davo

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1442848143' post='2869961']
Totally bereft of interesting musical ideas, swamped in a soup of digital reverb and songs with pitiful lyrics
[/quote]

Sounds right up my street. Most music classed as "interesting" and "eclectic" sounds like arse to me including pretty much everything I've heard from messers hacket and howe - I'd rather just hear someone rock out with a nice reverby distorted sound, quite liked what was in that vid, maybe I should checkout some of his new stuff.

Edited by bassman7755

Not entirely. But from where I was sitting I couldn't really tell. St Davids Hall, we had seats centre front row tier one.
Just above the sound and light guys. Best seats in the house.

Whether full or not wouldn't take away the quality of the performence. Opening with Spectral Mornings was awesome and had the hairs standing up on my arms.