Why become a member? ×

NAD - Behringer BVT4500H

discreet

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1443650968' post='2876691']
Following on from this thread, said amp is now mine, and have just used it at band practice. Impressions are good.

Ok, it`s not as full-sounding as the amps it`s imitating, but who would expect it to be. It`s also not as loud - into my Barefaced Super12T I needed the volume at 1 o`clock. On my similar powered Ampeg SVT3-PRO I need the volume at 9 o`clock.

But, these aren`t criticisms, they are observations. For the money these cost I think they are amazing. Sure they`re big & heavy, but for a brand new giggable amp for less than £90, well I can`t see how that`s a bad deal at all. This is my backup amp, it will stay sat in the corner of my bedroom and hopefully never need to be used. As such, having a reserve amp for under a ton, I`m laughing.
[/quote]

When you say "under a ton" do you mean in weight or cost.....?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1443657215' post='2876717']
When you say "under a ton" do you mean in weight or cost.....?
[/quote]

:lol: Actually, 21.5kg is nowhere near the weight of a full-on all-valve SVT-CL which tips the scales at around 36kg and is [i]seriously [/i]heavy.

Heavy?
Well I have 2 of these heads (I have 2 due to the impedance of my cabs) which have been relegated to the roll of a backup now that my Ampeg is back up and running. However, I have now used one of the boxes to re-house my Ampeg and have therefore created this monster.
Heavy? Just a tad!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1443699248' post='2876952']
I have now used one of the boxes to re-house my Ampeg and have therefore created this monster.
Heavy? Just a tad!
[/quote]

A 'tad' in this case being, er... 43kg. That's pretty significant for an amp head.
Ingenious solution, though... how about a pic of the front?

Edited by discreet

Well it does at least make use of all that empty space.
The front is unchanged - apart from my homemade Ampeg Badge ;) - so the bottom amp is being used purely as a slave power amp (preamp-out on the top connected into the poweramp-in on the bottom) so I don't need access to the controls on the bottom amp as the top one controls both anyway.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1443707692' post='2877056']
...the bottom amp is being used purely as a slave power amp (preamp-out on the top connected into the poweramp-in on the bottom) so I don't need access to the controls on the bottom amp as the top one controls both anyway.
[/quote]

A bit heavy obviously - but apart from that, ingenious. :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1443708699' post='2877065']
I bet the box is heavier than the individual amp it contains, so id guess a weight of around 30kg for one box and two amps inside. Give or take a kilo or two.
[/quote]

I forgot to take the second box into account - duh.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1443699248' post='2876952']
Heavy?
Well I have 2 of these heads (I have 2 due to the impedance of my cabs) which have been relegated to the roll of a backup now that my Ampeg is back up and running. However, I have now used one of the boxes to re-house my Ampeg and have therefore created this monster.
Heavy? Just a tad!
[/quote]
Don't suppose you've weighed it? then we can work out the weight of the cab.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1443000894' post='2871235']
Smashing review Mark :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1443783519' post='2877630']
Good review as always Discreet, interested in one of these now.
[/quote]

Thanks for the positive comments all. :hi:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1443707692' post='2877056']
...the bottom amp is being used purely as a slave power amp (preamp-out on the top connected into the poweramp-in on the bottom) so I don't need access to the controls on the bottom amp as the top one controls both anyway.
[/quote]

About that... sorry for the stupid question, I've never used a slave power amp as such - I get that the top pre controls both amps, but what's the deal with speaker connections? Do you just connect the top amp or must you connect both amps to a speaker cab to get full beans? What's the impedance situation?

And presumably because you run the bottom amp from the top pre, that connection doesn't disable the top power amp? Otherwise there would be no point in doing it, right? I'm wondering about the possibility of adding a power amp to my SVT350H. Not that it seems to need one, as it's bloody loud anyway - but you know how we juggle these things around in our minds... :)

Basically the reason for my using 2 of these is that one of my cabs is 4ohms and the other is 8ohms. My Ampeg will run down to 2ohms so not a problem there but these only go down to 4ohms. This means that one amp is driving the 4 ohm cab at full tilt while the other is just driving the 8ohm cab separately.
By using the preamp out socket the preamp on the first amp stays connected to its own power section but by going from there into the second amp's poweramp in socket it bypasses that amps pre, connecting straight into the power amp thus allowing one preamp to control both power amps simultaneously.
Basically, if you were in an 80s hair metal band and needed to run 6 fridges each powered by an SVT for a stadium gig then this is how you'd connect them all together.

I'm also in the process of experimenting with my VT Bass pedal acting as the sole preamp for both amps by going through a splitter box then connecting straight into the power amp inputs on both - bypassing the behringer preamps altogether.
All good fun :D

You can indeed but I believe the master volume on the amp is then still active so in that instance, rather than controlling your volume on the VT Bass pedal you'd set the volume on the pedal for unity gain and control the output volume using the amp's master volume as normal. Could also be quite a useful option when connecting amps together if you wanted to be able to control the relative volumes independently.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1444083587' post='2880221']
I'm umming and ahhing about getting one. I want another amp as backup and maybe even to use as not as a backup. It's between this and that bugera bvp5500 but don't know much about either. can't find decent soundclips.
[/quote]

Soundclips aren't that great for making amp choices imo. You really have to be in the room with one, though I do understand that's not always possible. Ask Thunderbird, I think he's had one for the longest time. I'd make a clip, but I don't have a BVT currently. Though I may get another just for the hell of it. :)

I took the plunge too and have just received mine from Thomann. I ordered the B stock ones and there was not a mark on it so for 70 odd quid plus delivery it was a no brainer.
I am very happy with the sound so far and tried it both my P and J basses. With the gain right up there is not a huge amount of growl but I like my sound clean anyway. The EQ is nice and gets you a variety of sounds so at such a cheap price I am happy. It was bought as a back up to my LH500 so will see in time if I gig with it.
Only 2 negatives are that it is very heavy as has already been said and I don't think it's as loud as I would have hoped. Certainly nowhere near my LH500 but still just about giggable in a pub with no support.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1444143969' post='2880640']
Only 2 negatives are that it is very heavy as has already been said and I don't think it's as loud as I would have hoped.
[/quote]

Well I'm glad you sort-of like it. :) At that price you could do what Painy did, buy another and slave the second amp in the same box for extra volume. But I don't think that's going to help much with the weight problem. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444146850' post='2880660']

Well I'm glad you sort-of like it. :) At that price you could do what Painy did, buy another and slave the second amp in the same box for extra volume. But I don't think that's going to help much with the weight problem. :lol:
[/quote]

Weight is more than I thought but won't be a problem as it will probably only be my back up. Like you I also used my B1on in front of it and sounded great

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444147840' post='2880673']
I think the B1on is hugely underrated. I must post a review of it at some point. :)
[/quote]

I wish you would as I bought one after reading your posts :D I use it as a headphone amp for silent practice just now but might stick it in front of the Mag300 and would like some pointers.

And I am also umming and ahing about buying a BVT...

Edited by jezzaboy