RickenFakers

2486 replies to this topic

#1 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

Wouldn't want the new site to be deprived of one the busier threads, so I'll kick off with

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RICKENBACKER-STYLE-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted Image

though we shouldn't forget

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Posted Image
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph + Long String Hawkers +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly

It's never too late to have a Happy childhood.

#2 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

The top one is quite interesting - I didn't know any jap copies were made with twin truss rods. In fact I always thought the lack of the double TR was a foolproof way of identifying a copy.

#3 Happy Jack

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hmmm ... not sure about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sehr-schoene-RICKENB...1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted Image

Posted Image
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph + Long String Hawkers +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly

#4 Bassassin

Acronym Research & Selection Executive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

That's one of the Bach copies, from a Czech importer:

http://www.bachmusik...tro-bassguitar/

Spotted these yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017

A rather ordinary Shaftesbury, and...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=008

A rather not-very-ordinary handmade fretless 4005 copy. Not something you see every day. Or any day, for that matter.

Musky - there were some twin truss copies - according to a poster on RickResource, some of the high-end El Maya copies had them. I have no idea if any others did. I think a bolt-neck with twin rods seems a bit odd, though.

Jon.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Washburn SB40 Vulture II :: Kasuga Scorpion SCB1200 :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Kasuga EB-750 Rickenbugger :: Frankenbugger :: Matsumoku Rickenfaker :: Retrovibe RV4 GayGloBugger

And in Contemporary Korean Driftwood:

Aria STB-GT Sex-On-A-Stick

And introducing the FreakBass Circus:

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger :: Cort Headless

Gordy Blueshift Custom Fretted/Fretless Twin-Neck Prog Nightmare (and back brace)

#5 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:20 PM

That looks like it's one of those Bach copies that Bassasin posted about on BT. Almost certain to pulled in no time.

Incidentally, that Ibanez that went up on ebay having 'sold' a week earlier has just sold again for 311.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...s_promot_widget

#6 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:31 PM

So do you reckon the bass in that auction might be an El Maya, or maybe another brand? It's kind of a shame that there's no identifying marks on the bass, as it might have added another piece to the jigsaw that is IDing Rickenfakers.

#7 Ant

NO-FI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:00 PM

I really really want a rickenfaker :)

which are the ones to look out for? and which are the ones to steer clear of?
Twitter:
@ant_brawlers @wearebrawlers
ex @castrovalva

#8 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

View PostMusky, on May 22 2007, 12:31 AM, said:

So do you reckon the bass in that auction might be an El Maya, or maybe another brand? It's kind of a shame that there's no identifying marks on the bass, as it might have added another piece to the jigsaw that is IDing Rickenfakers.
There's really no sure way of telling, considering how little of it there is. Realistically, this might not even be Japanese - we've now seen Rick copies from Italy, Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Korea as well as the land of the rising sun. And it's anyone's guess how many different Japanese factories there were,and how many different models & variations there were over the course of the production of these things. And that's another question, too - copies largely stopped being made for export by the end of the 70s - but they still build them for the domestic market.

That said, I'd put money on it being Japanese, and from the mid 70s - it has wavy Grover copy tuners, which usually appear on Matsumoku - built ones (Aria etc) & the body is a sandwich construction, very typical of the era. The neckplate's plain, which I wouldn't associate with Matsumoku.

Ant - the only thing I'd say don't bother with, would be those medium-scale Kay things that turn up from time to time. The low-end of the 70s stuff that pops up on the Bay would be Hondo - Korean-made, very obvious ply body, and they generally look cheap & tacky. However, if you got one for a bargain price (say less than 100) it'd be ok. The other common varieties are all broadly similar quality-wise, there's no real advantage to the through-neck ones - in fact they seem more prone to have a suicidally high action you can't adjust.

J.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Washburn SB40 Vulture II :: Kasuga Scorpion SCB1200 :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Kasuga EB-750 Rickenbugger :: Frankenbugger :: Matsumoku Rickenfaker :: Retrovibe RV4 GayGloBugger

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger :: Cort Headless

Gordy Blueshift Custom Fretted/Fretless Twin-Neck Prog Nightmare (and back brace)

#9 dave_bass5

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:38 PM

I see the Bass Centre are selling Rick copies now. But at 599 i think i would rather get the real deal.

"Maybe the Nazis wouldn't have been so hacked off if they weren't left hanging for all their high fives"

Gear List:
Fender Sanblasted P bass | Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 | SQUIER CV 60's P | Squier CV Jazz with Wizard 74's & Lakland JO neck
GK MB800 | MarkBass F1 LE | Vanderkley 115MN6 | Ashdown MAG 300 C-115 | Zoom 60B | VTBass DI | Darkglass VMT | TC Electronics Corona mini

My Photography flickr

#10 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

View Postdave_bass5, on May 23 2007, 08:38 PM, said:

I see the Bass Centre are selling Rick copies now. But at 599 i think i would rather get the real deal.
599? For a copy? Joke. Real ones come up at 600ish if you watch Loot & Gumtree & the like.

J.

#11 Darcy

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:My interests...Sounds very rock and roll but Bass, Women and Beer (Bass and Women swap places a bit mind lol)

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Anyone know anything about theses at the Bass Centre?

http://www.basscentre.com/cat/product_info...roducts_id=1390

599.00 mind and I would like to know whats under the P type pickup thingy

#12 dave_bass5

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

View PostDarcy, on May 25 2007, 05:42 PM, said:

Anyone know anything about theses at the Bass Centre?

http://www.basscentre.com/cat/product_info...roducts_id=1390

599.00 mind and I would like to know whats under the P type pickup thingy

They are the ones i posted about above. Way over priced IMO.
Im sure i saw the guitar version in Demark st for around 200 last year.

"Maybe the Nazis wouldn't have been so hacked off if they weren't left hanging for all their high fives"

Gear List:
Fender Sanblasted P bass | Sire Marcus Miller V7 5 | SQUIER CV 60's P | Squier CV Jazz with Wizard 74's & Lakland JO neck
GK MB800 | MarkBass F1 LE | Vanderkley 115MN6 | Ashdown MAG 300 C-115 | Zoom 60B | VTBass DI | Darkglass VMT | TC Electronics Corona mini

My Photography flickr

#13 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

250 and it'd be competitive. As it is, at that price you could have the pick of vintage Japcrap, or a real one if you drop lucky. At least it's a more realistic looking copy than the similarly priced Indie - which is a piece of junk, to boot.

J.

#14 Happy Jack

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:13 PM

View PostBassassin, on May 21 2007, 11:12 PM, said:

Spotted these yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=017

A rather ordinary Shaftesbury ...

... which just went for a slightly astonishing 300!

#15 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:32 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on May 27 2007, 11:13 PM, said:

... which just went for a slightly astonishing 300!
Nowt so queer as folk...

A different Shaftesbury - one of those little 360-style basses:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaftesbury-Bass-Gui...1QQcmdZViewItem

That name has a strange attraction to those Ebayers of little understanding.

And for just a little more dosh (comparitively) to a genuine Made In Taiwan "Rockinbetter", you can now have this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1980-Rickenbacker-40...1QQcmdZViewItem

A rather tidy 1980 Rickenbacker 4001, in AzureGlo. 795 BIN to you, sir or madam. Am I missing something?

J.

#16 Happy Jack

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

Rather tidy? Either he's the world's worst guitar photographer, or that bass is the one for which the phrase "cosmetically challenged" was invented. Quite apart from all the missing paint, it looks as if the back is actually two different shades of blue ... erm ... I mean AzureGlo.

The seller has excellent feedback so it looks as if WYSIWYG. I'd reckon that price was about right once you factor in the cost of a re-fin.

#17 dave_bass5

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

View PostHappy Jack, on May 28 2007, 09:38 AM, said:

Rather tidy? Either he's the world's worst guitar photographer, or that bass is the one for which the phrase "cosmetically challenged" was invented. Quite apart from all the missing paint, it looks as if the back is actually two different shades of blue ... erm ... I mean AzureGlo.

The seller has excellent feedback so it looks as if WYSIWYG. I'd reckon that price was about right once you factor in the cost of a re-fin.

It looks to me that the shot of the back has the reflection of the case making it look different
But thats just what i think

Gear List:

My Photography flickr

#18 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:30 AM

I thought it was clearly the reflection of the case lid - and I don't know if a bit of paint off the bottom edge of the back merits a refin on a 27 year old bass.

The point was that it's only 200 dearer than a tacky Oriental copy.

J.

#19 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 12:01 PM

800 isn't really much of a bargain, considering it's age and condition. Another Rick auction for a '73 just ended with a final price of 795 - better condition as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rickenbacker-4001-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem

#20 Happy Jack

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:06 PM

View PostBassassin, on May 28 2007, 10:30 AM, said:

I thought it was clearly the reflection of the case lid - and I don't know if a bit of paint off the bottom edge of the back merits a refin on a 27 year old bass.

The point was that it's only 200 dearer than a tacky Oriental copy.

J.

Jon,

Next time I sell a bass, would you mind endorsing it for me here on BassChat?

Within a day of you pointing it out as a bit of a bargain, the price has already reached 785! Just another 5 days to go, then ...

#21 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:43 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on May 29 2007, 02:06 PM, said:

Jon,

Within a day of you pointing it out as a bit of a bargain, the price has already reached 785! Just another 5 days to go, then ...

No probs Jack.

25% standard rate commission OK with you? :)

And - look what's back:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Doing the rounds of BW/BT/BCers, then. But now with a fake trc. Way to get the auction pulled, with any luck.

J.

#22 Mrs Tinman

Skanky fanclub - founder member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:07 PM

View PostHappy Jack, on May 29 2007, 02:06 PM, said:

Jon,

Knows his stuff, does our Captain JapCrap :)
*Dreams of MythSte* If i was 50 years younger... Sigh.

#23 neepheid

'good' poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,059 posts
  • Interests:bass playing, modding, repairing, geeking - computers - sport - music - soaking up useless facts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

View PostBassassin, on May 29 2007, 03:43 PM, said:

But now with a fake trc. Way to get the auction pulled, with any luck.

Yup, that was a tactically inept move.

The Inevitable Teaspoons - released an EP, on the radio, award nominated, big whoop, eh?...the band

Feedback thread - please leave some if you buy from/trade with me ...feedback

'04 Epi Les Paul (not so) Standard - '15 G&L Tribute SB-2 - '15 Epi Jack Casady ...this century

'75 Gibson Ripper - '79 Gibson RD Artist - '81 Gibson Victory Artist - '86 Yamaha BB350F ...last century

BFM Omni 10.5 - RedSub BT5110 - Laney HCM30B ...ampage

"Gibson have never made a pretty bass, fact." - waynepunkdude

#24 beerdragon

fully fledged member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:05 PM

I came across an article in a bass blog. its a Shaftesbury based on rick 330 guitar. the rick police had ebay pull it even though rickenbacker never made a bass version, go figure.

http://www.hollowbodybass.com/bass-sightin...backer-copy.htm
All the gear and no idea.

#25 Happy Jack

• Members
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

But you can't keep a good bass down ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shaftesbury-Bass-Gui...1QQcmdZViewItem

#26 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:32 AM

Quite a lot of them pop up on the Bay - some are Japanese, but some, more interestingly, were made in Italy by Eko.

There was a guy on BW who picked one up for a song - don't remember who he was, or if he's survived all the migrations, though.

J.

#27 nick

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:16 PM

Horrid Hondo here if anyone's interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDO-LAWSUIT-RICKY-...1QQcmdZViewItem

#28 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:48 AM

View Postnick, on Jun 1 2007, 10:16 PM, said:

Horrid Hondo here if anyone's interested

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDO-LAWSUIT-RICKY-...1QQcmdZViewItem
I'd give him the quid that's the current bid...

J.

#29 nick

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Here we go, this is more like it. Was tempted to this one myself, but probably have enough for the moment.
Interesting brand name. Maybe Bassassin could shed some light..
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Basse-Stephenson-rare_W...1QQcmdZViewItem

#30 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:10 PM

View Postnick, on Jun 2 2007, 11:11 PM, said:

Here we go, this is more like it. Was tempted to this one myself, but probably have enough for the moment.
Interesting brand name. Maybe Bassassin could shed some light..
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Basse-Stephenson-rare_W...1QQcmdZViewItem
Can't really tell too much from the pics - looks like a generic neck-through (you can see the central stringer down the middle of the body) MIJ 4001 copy, probably the same as Shaftesbury Rickalikes. Not sure who built these, but they're similar to some Arias, so it might be Matsumoku, but they have hardware like some El Maya pics I've seen - so it could've been them. That's the problem with copies - all look alike... :)

Stephenson will have been the importer's brand name, so no real clue there. It's currently at Eur241, or 163 - which is OK, but it still has 4 days left.

J.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users