RickenFakers

2486 replies to this topic

#2431 Billy Apple

Sad Wannabe and Failed Guitarist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

Once again we're removing posts with references to sales elsewhere. I'm surprised we need to mention this, but sales of Rics and Fakers are not permitted on BC, which includes reference or links to sales elsewhere.

If it carries on a locking may be in the offing.
'16 Spector Forte 5 Helium Custom '14 Spector NS2 Helium. '81 Marshall Super Bass. Burman MPA/SL100. EAD Foundation 212. Darkglass B7K. MXR M83 Bass Chorus Deluxe MXR M87 Compressor. TC Polytune. D'Addario and La Bella. OBBM Cables. Couple of Wishbasses.

NR TBird Build

Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

For Sale:
Jackson Surfcaster

#2432 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:18 AM

I'm sorry about that - I posted the white JB because it was a nice looking bass, not because of the sale per-se.

I fully appreciate the stance; my bad!

#2433 Billy Apple

Sad Wannabe and Failed Guitarist

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:31 AM

View Postprowla, on 11 January 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

I'm sorry about that - I posted the white JB because it was a nice looking bass, not because of the sale per-se.

I fully appreciate the stance; my bad!

There is nothing against Forum rules with posting a picture of a lovely JB bass. But to reference that it's for sale, the price and the location is. This may appear odd due to the volume of information available on the internets, but IIWII and if you require the reasons behind it all please feel free to contact John Hall at Rickenbacker.

Now, how about a picture of a nice John Birch bass?
'16 Spector Forte 5 Helium Custom '14 Spector NS2 Helium. '81 Marshall Super Bass. Burman MPA/SL100. EAD Foundation 212. Darkglass B7K. MXR M83 Bass Chorus Deluxe MXR M87 Compressor. TC Polytune. D'Addario and La Bella. OBBM Cables. Couple of Wishbasses.

NR TBird Build

Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions ............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines ............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

For Sale:
Jackson Surfcaster

#2434 Cato

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

View Postprowla, on 10 January 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

So anyway, I've always had this hankering to have a headless Ricky.

A bit of crude cut'n'paste for a rough idea...

Posted Image

Whaddya reckon - might work?

Heck, maybe a donor Ricky with a broken head might make a good base.

I could otherwise experiment with body shapes or base it on a more modern Ricky where the neck pickup is further down, so the body could be shortened a bit.,.

If you do a Google search on 'headless Rickenbacker' you'll find a few examples, most of them home builds but there's at least one luthier that says they can build them.

Edited by Cato, 11 January 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#2435 Bassassin

Acronym Research & Selection Executive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:44 AM

I've actually got a project Faker-ish thing (active Wesley-brand bass with a Rick-shape body & nothing else) that I'd love to make headless - but for the fact there's a massive cavity for the battery exactly where the routing for the tailpiece/tuner assembly needs to go. Gah.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Washburn SB40 Vulture II :: Kasuga Scorpion SCB1200 :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Kasuga EB-750 Rickenbugger :: Frankenbugger :: Matsumoku Rickenfaker :: Retrovibe RV4 GayGloBugger

And in Contemporary Korean Driftwood:

Aria STB-GT Sex-On-A-Stick

And introducing the FreakBass Circus:

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger :: Cort Headless

Gordy Blueshift Custom Fretted/Fretless Twin-Neck Prog Nightmare (and back brace)

#2436 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostBilly Apple, on 11 January 2017 - 07:31 AM, said:

There is nothing against Forum rules with posting a picture of a lovely JB bass. But to reference that it's for sale, the price and the location is. This may appear odd due to the volume of information available on the internets, but IIWII and if you require the reasons behind it all please feel free to contact John Hall at Rickenbacker.

Now, how about a picture of a nice John Birch bass?
Sure - apologies again; I'm new here and hadn't really twigged.

I do get what Rickenbacker are doing too and don't blame them either.

I think it's terrible what's happened with Fender and transfers - there are so many forgeries about, so if Rickenbacker need to protect their brand then it can help the unwitting too.

I've got two real Rickys and should be picking up my first 'faker on the weekend (unless the weather hits the UK roads).

I view the fakers as a bit of fun rather than impinging on the true company's business.

In the case of the John Birch, I think it merits as a guitar in its own right regardless of what it happens to look like.

Anyway, it's great to have the forum and this thread and long may it live!

#2437 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

Contacting Hall personally would gain you nothing but an earful of abuse and a very nasty taste in your mouth if you mention Fakers. And unless you bought either of your Ricks brand-new through an approved RIC dealer, he'd take a dim view of you depriving him of profit.

The whole sale of Ricks & Rick-shaped objects on BC and elsewhere, and Hall's online behaviour is a massive can of worms which the search function might (or not) clarify, if you're patient enough. Suffice to say BC does not allow either genuine or copy Ricks to be sold, or sales linked to, for reasons that veer wildly between sensible, illogical and (presumably) bloody-minded.

There's a legal reason for RIC to pursue the sale of copies, old & new, which is to do with US trademark law - in a nutshell if they don't protect their registered designs in this way, they lose the right to claim exclusive ownership of them, much like Fender & Gibson have with the fundamental designs of their best-known instruments. There are many, many reasons why Hall's threats & ranting amount to little more than hot, foetid air, but if I was in the position of BC's management I'd likely do what they've done too.

I grew up listening to Geddy & Lemmy & Foxton etc and always hankered after a 4001 as a youngster. Never got one but developed an interest in old MIJ basses & guitars, and obviously that included the various Rick copies from that era. These days they're significantly rare, can cost quite daft money and many are far better quality than their genuine contemporaries. In the 70s Rickenbacker was still using manufacturing techniques from the 50s whereas Japanese factories were using CNC and modern components, adhesives and finishes.

I doubt you'll find many early/mid 70s 4001s that have fared as well as the average Fujigen or Kasuga copy, and after the aesthetic "tweaks" around 1973, none of them were (imo) as interesting! The irony is that at the time MIJ copies were regarded as cheap, throwaway beaters, so that's what's happened to most of them, meaning that surviving instruments in original condition are very hard to find. So don't mess with your Matsumoku too much!

New Chickenbackers - now that's a different matter.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Washburn SB40 Vulture II :: Kasuga Scorpion SCB1200 :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Kasuga EB-750 Rickenbugger :: Frankenbugger :: Matsumoku Rickenfaker :: Retrovibe RV4 GayGloBugger

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger :: Cort Headless

Gordy Blueshift Custom Fretted/Fretless Twin-Neck Prog Nightmare (and back brace)

#2438 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:32 PM

Yep - I'm chaning my mindset and plan to probably put the faker back to its original state (if I get the original machines with it).

As for the real ones, I think they are the most stunning man-created object ever; one of mine is the '73 above and the other is this '64.

Posted Image

#2439 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

Your '73 is pretty much my dream Rick - all the vintage bells & whistles (it's even a 21 fretter!) and that age-darkened Fireglo. Gorgeous. :wub:

#2440 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostBassassin, on 11 January 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:

Your '73 is pretty much my dream Rick - all the vintage bells & whistles (it's even a 21 fretter!) and that age-darkened Fireglo. Gorgeous. :wub:
Cheers!
(Actually I added in the extra fret in the rather crudely edited picture where I chopped the headstock off...)

#2441 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

View Postprowla, on 12 January 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Cheers!
(Actually I added in the extra fret in the rather crudely edited picture where I chopped the headstock off...)

Never spotted that! Guess I could put up with just the 20, at a push... :D

#2442 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

View PostBassassin, on 12 January 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Never spotted that! Guess I could put up with just the 20, at a push... :D
That's my super master skills with Windows Paint! (The earlier picture I posted shows it as it is.)

I think it is a shortcoming of the Ricky and they missed the opportunity to add more when they shifted the neck pickup back in the 4003 & Laredo.

If I were to get a headless, I'd have as many frets as would fit there.

The other thing about a headless is that I might not have it look like a Ricky, so long as it sounded like one, so I could maybe have a completely custom body, but it would probably have to be the same woods and through neck (with dual rods) and Ricky pickups in the correct positions.

Graphite and brass hardware probably wouldn't work.

I guess I'm taking a different angle on the faker there - most people seem to want something which looks like a Ricky, even if it sounds not quite right and plays different; I want the sound and the feel.

On the flipside I am still planning to pick up the Japanese faker on the weekend, though we've just had winter arrive, so I'll have to see how the weather goes - it's a two and a half hour drive, so I need a clear run really.

#2443 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

Right - I'm now a paid-up member of the 'fakers club!

I have a Diamond (nee. Aria) 'faker.

It does need a bit of work on it:
  • The treble pickup is pooped - the coil has come away from the base and the wires have snapped. I have a genuine one which I could put in, if I choose to.
  • It's not got a jack socket and the chap I bought it off has made a rather cack-handed attempt to cut out a second hole. I'll tidy that up and acquire a double-jack plate.
  • The wiring harness has no wires, so I'll need to re-wire it. No problem, as I was going to do that anyway along with twin jacks.
  • One of the knobs is missing. Easy enough to get.
  • The original truss rod cover has gone and it's got one with the "R" word on it instead. It's a bit of a shame not having the original and I'm not to struck on putting fakes of the real brand on.
  • The seller replaced the stock machines with Schaller ones, but chucked the originals. I'd have liked to have had the originals, just to keep, anyway. They have wider posts than the genuine ones.
  • No scratchplate & pickup bezel screws and no treble pickup mounting bolts & springs. (Easy enough to get.)
The good stuff:
  • The neck really feels like the genuine one; spookily so, even though it is a bolt-on.
  • It's got its bridge and dampers.
  • The Schallers are quality machines.
  • It's got the correct MIJ neck plate.
So, I've got to acquire some parts to get it going.

#2444 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Sounds like a good, straightforward project. Have you joined the Rickenfakers FB group? Plenty of people there who can help with the likes of replacement pickups & custom trcs. Everything else sounds easy enough though. Shame the original tuners are gone - never seen a set of these turn up.

Oh - one rod or two?

#2445 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:24 PM

It's got one rod.
Yes, I was a bit aghast that the machines were gone, but the Schaller ones are Ricky-authentic and if I get a D-tuner it should be a 1:1 replacement.
Turns out the headstock logo is just a computer printout on paper stuck to the back of a clear truss rod cover (the back of it had something else printed on it!), so I'll probably put that right.
The bridge was a bit weird, looked like it was bent so that the tail-end raised off the instrument; I'm not sure if it can be rescued. I've put my spare Hipshot on though, which was the aim anyway.
I've ordered a twin jack plate, so that should be a few days.
On a second play, the neck is more curved than my Ricky's, bit it has a good feel to it.
I'll have to search around for a treble pickup; there is a set of three Bartolinis on ebay (neck, treble and string damper!), but I might have to exercise restraint. I have got a spare Ricky neck pickup, but it's the 4-pole one from early 70s (I thought it was a toaster but remembered wrong).
I also compared the treble pickup surround to a real Ricky and the Ricky's has more rounded corners, but the screw holes are identical.
The body has a couple of dings, but I may just leave them.
Hopefully yes, a relatively straightforward project.

#2446 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

Well, I've got strings on it now; it's vaguely Ricky sounding unplugged.

I've not got the electrics in place, so it's body, neck, Hipshot bridge, Schaller machines and Dean Markley SR2000 strings.

It turns out that, due to a miscaclulation on my side, I've got a pair of genuine Ricky 4001 '78 pickups, so they'll go on it.

I've got some pots & stuff due in the post, still need the switching mono socket (they are needlessly pricey), so will wire something up there. I'll make things up so I can easily swap things around.

The previous owner had decided to route it for twin jack sockets, rather than just the one, so I'm getting a Mono/Stereo-Sound jack plate from the bay. I had ordered a cheapie flat one, but then I saw the other one, so I grabbed it.

I might get a scratchplate which I can butcher (I have a post-'74 one, but its' neck pickup hole is in the wrong place).

Once that's done, it should be complete.

I had been intending to get a genuine Ricky body (black) and shift all of the parts over, but I might look at getting a custom one of my own design; the through-neck would have to be to Ricky spec though, so really only the wings and headstock to play with; perhaps taking the original wave design and giving it more attitude.

Once that's done, I guess I'll either (a) try and revert the Diamond back to stock/complementary parts, (B) pass it on in parts for someone else's project, or © start over again!

Oh, I also need some pickguard screws - they're smaller than Fenders and not so easy to get hold of.

#2447 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

Forum memo to self - if you put "a", "b" and "c" in brackets you get strange looking bullet points!

#2448 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:21 PM

Recommend Gibson-size screws if you don't mind waiting for them to cross the pond:

http://www.ebay.co.u...M-/172455716047

Not exactly the same as the MIJ originals but pretty close & way better than trying to use massive Fender-type ones!

#2449 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:02 AM

View PostBassassin, on 17 January 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Recommend Gibson-size screws if you don't mind waiting for them to cross the pond:

http://www.ebay.co.u...M-/172455716047

Not exactly the same as the MIJ originals but pretty close & way better than trying to use massive Fender-type ones!
Thanks - I hate it when the postage is nearly as much as the item!

#2450 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 01:25 PM

Looks like that's as good as it gets - plenty of places in the States will sell you 20 of these for £3 and then want £15-odd to post them to you. There are probably cheaper suppliers in China - but you wouldn't get them until April!

#2451 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

I did a search on "gibson screws" and found some UK packs of 12 for a lot less, so I've ordered some...

#2452 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:22 AM

I've now got pickups wired up, but yet to put in place.

I have to tidy up the 2nd Jack socket hole the previous owner drilled/gouged out; I've got a couple of double jack plates to choose from to put on; one is a generic/flat one and one is a Mono/Stereo-Sound one which cost a bit more - unfortunately they're not the same size, though.

I'm probably going to put all off my top-end parts onto this to try it out, but then shift them back to the stock ones at some point or I decide to move it on (my two genuine Ricky pickups cost more than the bass and the Hipshot bridge is probably half again!).

Actually, I've figured out what I want to do aim-wise; I have drawn a sketch of a bass which Rickenbacker never made but would be recognisable... I want to get one made which looks like a prototype which never made it into production but just could be a Ricky (couldn't it?).

#2453 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

Well, I'm soldiering away with a hand file on the jack socket; maybe I should've got my Dremel out...

However, I've also been a bit distracted by buying another (non-Ricky) bass on the weekend.

#2454 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

I got the Dremel out this evening and it's much neater now; the Mono/Stereo-Sound twin jack plate is on.
Pretty much ready to put the rest on it and make it into a complete guitar.

#2455 chriswareham

Enormous member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Guitars with four strings and synths with knobs on

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Pictures :-D

#2456 Dan_Q

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Has anyone ever tried one of the "rocktile" fakers?

#2457 Bassassin

• Members
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

Don't know if anyone on here has. Someone on the FB group was talking about the pickups (didn't like the J unit) but hasn't - as far as I know - talked about its build & playability etc.

#2458 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:12 AM

So, I have a working bass!

Posted Image

At the moment it's got some of the good bits on it, to get it up and running, including Schaller machines, a genuine Ricky treble pickup & surround and a Hipshot bridge; they're really destined for my next project (and are worth more than the instrument!), so I've got to get my copy treble pickup re-wired and find a straight bridge (as the original that came with it looks like a ski-slope!).

I got the mono/stereo jack socket conversion done.

I also plan to have a play with the electrics; I've got a couple of 330k (vol) pots & 500k (tone), a new Switchcraft switch to make them up. I also plan to put in a vintage/modern push/pull treble tone control (hence the 500k tone pots, as 330k onbes are silly money).

I posted some more pics on the FB page.

(I'm not happy with the "R" word on the TRC, cos it isn't one!, so I'll be changing that!)

Edited by prowla, 27 January 2017 - 12:13 AM.

#2459 Dan_Q

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

View PostBassassin, on 26 January 2017 - 03:21 PM, said:

Don't know if anyone on here has. Someone on the FB group was talking about the pickups (didn't like the J unit) but hasn't - as far as I know - talked about its build & playability etc.

Thanks man, i'll take a look on the facebook group :)

Prowla- that's awesome. very well done

#2460 prowla

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

View PostDan_Q, on 27 January 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

Thanks man, i'll take a look on the facebook group :)

Prowla- that's awesome. very well done
Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users