Happy Jack

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1482784798' post='3202753']
Is that one of the Hipshot bridges?
[/quote]
Yep.
[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1482798499' post='3202829']
Interesting. Definitely a Faker?
[/quote]
Actually, no; it's a genuine '73 Ricky - I faked a faker! :)

I've just arranged to buy a 'faker project; I'm due to go and pick it up next weekend.

I'm not sure of the brand; it's got the skunk stripe in the neck and into the neck pickup bay, but not then through to the bridge.

It'll probably be a platform to build the parts onto, with the aim of picking up a genuine Ricky body at some point if I spot one.

I might put the Seymour Duncan off the red one above onto it (and restore the original pickup to the original Ricky).

I've got another Hipshot bridge which will go onto it.

The one I'm buying has Schaller machines, but I plan to put a Hipshot Xtender/D-Tuner onto it (I've just put one onto my Precision fretless project).

It's got a scratchplate, pickup surround and replica Ricky truss-rod cover, but is missing a twin jack plate (it was single-jack, but the previous owner has drilled a second socket).

Edited by prowla

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1483790904' post='3210117']
Yep.

Actually, no; it's a genuine '73 Ricky - I faked a faker! :)
[/quote]

Thought so! :P

And just to demonstrate that I know my Fakers, the one you're buying is a Matsumoku-built bolt-neck, which would (assuming you're in the UK) have likely originally been badged as Arbiter, CMI, Aria or Aria Pro II, amongst others. You'll find it has a neckplate stamped "Steel Adjustable Neck" with a random serial number you can't date it from. Shame it has Schaller tuners because that means the original Wavy Grover copies have been replaced. Not that there's anything wrong with Schallers. It may also have dual truss rods like a real Rick (which unlike a real Rick, should work properly) but not all Mat bolt-necks have them.

I can tell all that from four little dots. :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1483812854' post='3210359']

And just to demonstrate that I know my Fakers, the one you're buying is a Matsumoku-built bolt-neck, which would (assuming you're in the UK) have likely originally been badged as Arbiter, CMI, Aria or Aria Pro II, amongst others. You'll find it has a neckplate stamped "Steel Adjustable Neck" with a random serial number you can't date it from. Shame it has Schaller tuners because that means the original Wavy Grover copies have been replaced. Not that there's anything wrong with Schallers. It may also have dual truss rods like a real Rick (which unlike a real Rick, should work properly) but not all Mat bolt-necks have them.

[/quote]
Hehe...

That's interesting info - Matsumoku is a good name to hear; I don't have a picture of the back.

I do like the wavy Grovers (my real one above has them), but I'm kindof glad about the Schallers, because I think the Hipshot should be about the same. The bloke is going to throw in whatever other parts he has too, so it'll be interesting to see what I get.

I've got a real Ricky toaster pickup in my box of parts, which may find its way to the neck position.

I'll make up the wiring harness and will add a switch for the serial treble cap option.

I'll probably treat it to the real knobs too.

And straplocks (it looks like the strap button on the top horn is in the wrong place, so that'll have to move).

I've been wanting a black Ricky, so it might get a paint job.

All-in-all, I'm quite looking forward to it!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1483812854' post='3210359']

[/quote]
Yep - STEEL ADJUSTABLE NECK

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1483994638' post='3211855']
How much does your average rockinbetter weigh? Ive heard mixed reports about them being an anchor or being "a decent weight"
[/quote]
I have to say that I've seen the Rockinbetters and not been inclined to pick one up.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484002349' post='3211942']

I have to say that I've seen the Rockinbetters and not been inclined to pick one up.
[/quote]

Ah right.

Anyway, what Rickenfaker would people recommend? Looking for a 4001 copy that looks like (and at least sounds a little bit like) the one that Bruce Foxton used.

Well, I'm waiting to see what the one I'm getting is going to be like.
It might be a hoot or it could be a pile of toot.
I've always had a soft spot for the Shaftsburys.

Another one I would like is a John Birch - I remember Carlsbro Sound having a green-black sunburst (greenburst?) one years ago. But they're really a good guitar styled like a Ricky, rather than a copy per-se.

Edited by prowla

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1484070134' post='3212437']
Ah right.

Anyway, what Rickenfaker would people recommend? Looking for a 4001 copy that looks like (and at least sounds a little bit like) the one that Bruce Foxton used.
[/quote]

Foxton used an Ibanez 2388B/DX neck-through, like this only black:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:48534]

You'll note it has Gibson style pickups - although they're both single-coil units, not humbuckers, so do tend to be quite bright. The same bass was also sold badged Greco, but you won't find too many in the UK. This model probably stopped production around 1974 or 5 - later ones were more accurate but far less cool, IMO.

These are hard to find and sellers do tend to want high prices for them when they do turn up - even rough examples are unlikely to be less than £500.

However there are plenty of different Fakers out there, and they come up for sale regularly. If you're not already a member, get on to the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083/"]Rickenfakers FB group[/url]. All the basses we can't sell on BC turn up on there, and so far it's a John Hall-free zone. Fingers crossed... :ph34r:

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1484076510' post='3212518']

Foxton used an Ibanez 2388B/DX neck-through, like this only black:

You'll note it has Gibson style pickups - although they're both single-coil units, not humbuckers, so do tend to be quite bright. The same bass was also sold badged Greco, but you won't find too many in the UK. This model probably stopped production around 1974 or 5 - later ones were more accurate but far less cool, IMO.

These are hard to find and sellers do tend to want high prices for them when they do turn up - even rough examples are unlikely to be less than £500.

However there are plenty of different Fakers out there, and they come up for sale regularly. If you're not already a member, get on to the [url="https://www.facebook.com/groups/78514186083/"]Rickenfakers FB group[/url]. All the basses we can't sell on BC turn up on there, and so far it's a John Hall-free zone. Fingers crossed... :ph34r:
[/quote]

Ive requested to join. Ive always wanted a bass like Foxtons (the man that made me buy a bass in the first place) but never had the cash to buy a real one.

So anyway, I've always had this hankering to have a headless Ricky.

A bit of crude cut'n'paste for a rough idea...

Whaddya reckon - might work?

Heck, maybe a donor Ricky with a broken head might make a good base.

I could otherwise experiment with body shapes or base it on a more modern Ricky where the neck pickup is further down, so the body could be shortened a bit.,.

Edited by prowla

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484119089' post='3212759']
I'm sorry about that - I posted the white JB because it was a nice looking bass, not because of the sale per-se.

I fully appreciate the stance; my bad!
[/quote]

There is nothing against Forum rules with posting a picture of a lovely JB bass. But to reference that it's for sale, the price and the location is. This may appear odd due to the volume of information available on the internets, but IIWII and if you require the reasons behind it all please feel free to contact John Hall at Rickenbacker.

Now, how about a picture of a nice John Birch bass?

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484092443' post='3212704']
So anyway, I've always had this hankering to have a headless Ricky.

A bit of crude cut'n'paste for a rough idea...

Whaddya reckon - might work?

Heck, maybe a donor Ricky with a broken head might make a good base.

I could otherwise experiment with body shapes or base it on a more modern Ricky where the neck pickup is further down, so the body could be shortened a bit.,.
[/quote]

If you do a Google search on 'headless Rickenbacker' you'll find a few examples, most of them home builds but there's at least one luthier that says they can build them.

Edited by Cato

I've actually got a project Faker-ish thing (active Wesley-brand bass with a Rick-shape body & nothing else) that I'd love to make headless - but for the fact there's a massive cavity for the battery exactly where the routing for the tailpiece/tuner assembly needs to go. Gah.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1484119867' post='3212761']
There is nothing against Forum rules with posting a picture of a lovely JB bass. But to reference that it's for sale, the price and the location is. This may appear odd due to the volume of information available on the internets, but IIWII and if you require the reasons behind it all please feel free to contact John Hall at Rickenbacker.

Now, how about a picture of a nice John Birch bass?
[/quote]
Sure - apologies again; I'm new here and hadn't really twigged.

I do get what Rickenbacker are doing too and don't blame them either.

I think it's terrible what's happened with Fender and transfers - there are so many forgeries about, so if Rickenbacker need to protect their brand then it can help the unwitting too.

I've got two real Rickys and should be picking up my first 'faker on the weekend (unless the weather hits the UK roads).

I view the fakers as a bit of fun rather than impinging on the true company's business.

In the case of the John Birch, I think it merits as a guitar in its own right regardless of what it happens to look like.

Anyway, it's great to have the forum and this thread and long may it live!

Contacting Hall personally would gain you nothing but an earful of abuse and a very nasty taste in your mouth if you mention Fakers. And unless you bought either of your Ricks brand-new through an approved RIC dealer, he'd take a dim view of you depriving him of profit.

The whole sale of Ricks & Rick-shaped objects on BC and elsewhere, and Hall's online behaviour is a massive can of worms which the search function might (or not) clarify, if you're patient enough. Suffice to say BC does not allow either genuine or copy Ricks to be sold, or sales linked to, for reasons that veer wildly between sensible, illogical and (presumably) bloody-minded.

There's a legal reason for RIC to pursue the sale of copies, old & new, which is to do with US trademark law - in a nutshell if they don't protect their registered designs in this way, they lose the right to claim exclusive ownership of them, much like Fender & Gibson have with the fundamental designs of their best-known instruments. There are many, many reasons why Hall's threats & ranting amount to little more than hot, foetid air, but if I was in the position of BC's management I'd likely do what they've done too.

I grew up listening to Geddy & Lemmy & Foxton etc and always hankered after a 4001 as a youngster. Never got one but developed an interest in old MIJ basses & guitars, and obviously that included the various Rick copies from that era. These days they're significantly rare, can cost quite daft money and many are far better quality than their genuine contemporaries. In the 70s Rickenbacker was still using manufacturing techniques from the 50s whereas Japanese factories were using CNC and modern components, adhesives and finishes.

I doubt you'll find many early/mid 70s 4001s that have fared as well as the average Fujigen or Kasuga copy, and after the aesthetic "tweaks" around 1973, none of them were (imo) as interesting! The irony is that at the time MIJ copies were regarded as cheap, throwaway beaters, so that's what's happened to most of them, meaning that surviving instruments in original condition are very hard to find. So don't mess with your Matsumoku too much!

New Chickenbackers - now that's a different matter.

Yep - I'm chaning my mindset and plan to probably put the faker back to its original state (if I get the original machines with it).

As for the real ones, I think they are the most stunning man-created object ever; one of mine is the '73 above and the other is this '64.

• ped unpinned this topic