Why become a member? ×

BC bass weight obsession

chevy-stu

Personally, I would never let a heavy bass stop me from using it. I would just think , oh, this is a heavy beast and probably think of it as being well built. Our sets are about an hour tops, so I've never struggled with heavy basses hurting me. Maybe back problems will follow, but so far, alls good !

All the gigs I've ever done that have been longer than 2 hours have been jazz/background function work or pit work, where it's more than acceptable to sit down... That means the weight isn't much of an issue. The other gigging/playing I've done tends to be shorter sets with breaks and again, weight isn't an issue as I'm not wearing my bass for extended periods of time.

It wouldn't be an issue for me. String spacing, scale length and the other things that affect the 'feel' of the instrument when playing it would be my first concern when choosing or spec'ing a bass.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1444207871' post='2881054']
Correct Jack. The law of the universe is that green basses are light.
So, green bass, 4 string, non Fender with Fender decal and 4 inch strap are the only legally acceptable basses.
[/quote]

Try my two green basses and tell me they're light I dare you :P

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443021468' post='2871536']
I'm relatively new here, but one thing that seems to stand out and I don't get is what seems like many forum members concerns about the weight of a bass.

I just don't get it.

Can someone explain..
[/quote]
No.

Seems like you'll have to experience the life changing problem of a bad back for yourself. All lifting, carrying, bending and stretching tasks can be affected.

Be grateful you don't get it. It's too late when you do.

I've had some great sounding basses that have been boat anchors (70s jazz bass was the main culprit...probably about 12-13 pounds).

It was such a nightmare to be charging around with that bass on it always remained on the guitar stand. I also sing so it was a claustrophobic pain in the neck.

So as a rule, I always check weight. Under 10lbs is my preference.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443021763' post='2871547']

I'm with you, before coming here the weight of an instrument had never crossed my mind, but if you try to sell a bass here it'll likely be the first question asked by potential buyers, often ahead of "how does it sound?". I think it's like buying cars, there's a cultural expectation of certain things be so, and if they're not, that we are somehow not getting good value for money. There are of course a whole lot of other factors in music gear that are equally at odds with logic!
[/quote]

This.

At least until I did come across one bass that was so stupidly heavy that I finally actually did give it a second thought.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1444233640' post='2881437']
I think we should start a register of the weight of every single BC'ers bass. <snip> It could form an invaluable database of the weights of basses.
[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241849-weight-of-basses"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241849-weight-of-basses[/url]

[i]Someone[/i]... *holds up hand* suggested that in this thread a while back :)

But I agree that if the weight of a bass for sale were put into the fs thread, [i]this[/i] thread probably wouldn't exist in the first place.

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1444237507' post='2881491']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241849-weight-of-basses"]http://basschat.co.u...eight-of-basses[/url]

[i]Someone[/i]... *holds up hand* suggested that in this thread a while back :)

But I agree that if the weight of a bass for sale were put into the fs thread, [i]this[/i] thread probably wouldn't exist in the first place.
[/quote]

I bow to you thinking of things before me. I think we'd need a decent set of scales. I think Happy Jack has some luggage ones. I can't see them costing too much. Weigh your pack and move them on type thing?

Many people probably don't mention the weight in sales because they've probably not got the equipment to measure. Plus the bathroom scale method is not too accurate.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1443022872' post='2871573']
I'm quite obsessed by weight.

My band plays 2 to 2 1/2 hour sets and does 4 hour rehearsals.
That's a long time to be stood with a 10/11 lb bass hanging off your shoulder.

My current favourite bass is a mere 7lb 3oz.. :)
[/quote]
That's about it for me, if it's a short gig I take my weighty Fender Jazz, longer gigs and lengthy rehearsals I take a lighter option. I even found the weight of the Fender on my leg during a sit down pit band gig too much by the end of the week.
Another thing to consider is carrying it around. I do a lot of festival gigs where you have to park your car a mile from the stage and when the promised land rover doesn't turn up you carry your kit in hot sun/pouring rain.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1444241236' post='2881530']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-WEIGHLITE-TWO-REVOLUTION-ILLUMINATED-FACE-SCALES-MEASURE-Cap-32lb-/350699572756?hash=item51a752ce14"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a752ce14[/url]
[/quote]

Maybe. It only goes up to 14Kg. What about Wal owners? :mellow:

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1444241121' post='2881528']
My soon-to-be Maruszczyk (being built) will probably come in around 7.5lbs, maybe slightly less.
My Fodera is about 10.5lbs I think.

Thought you'd all be interested in that :)

Si
[/quote]

If it's only 10.5lbs, I'll give you 20lbs for it! Can't say fairer than that ;-)

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1444241535' post='2881534']
I even found the weight of the Fender on my leg during a sit down pit band gig too much by the end of the week.
[/quote]

This has happened to me too. I had the option to sit or stand on a choir gig. I got tired of standing so I sat on a stool. The bass was a perfectly reasonable weight (4.2kg/8.25lb) but it cut of the blood supply to my right leg! Had to stand up again :rolleyes: