Why become a member? ×

BC bass weight obsession

chevy-stu

I'm relatively new here, but one thing that seems to stand out and I don't get is what seems like many forum members concerns about the weight of a bass.

I've been playing bass for 37 years, and regularly gigging for most of this, been a pro for nearly 20 years, gigging 3-4 times a at week on average, and never once has it ever crossed my mind what a bass might weigh, unless it's flight cased for taking on a plane, or shipping.
I appreciate some people have back problems and then a particularly heavy 6 stringer may prove to be an issue.
I've owned and lugged some stupidly heavy gear over the years, along with PA etc.... and I went lightweight amp wise myself about 3 years ago, but bass weight never occurred to me, I just don't get it.

Can someone explain.. :mellow:

I guess it's more of an problem for some than others... I don't have any issues at all with my basses and they both weigh nearly 5kg.

But then again I'm playing originals and our gigs are 45 min tops, so I might find it more of a problem playing covers for hours down the dog and duck. I do regular three hour rehearsals though and they arent an issue either.

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443021468' post='2871536']
I'm relatively new here, but one thing that seems to stand out and I don't get is what seems like many forum members concerns about the weight of a bass.

I've been playing bass for 37 years, and regularly gigging for most of this, been a pro for nearly 20 years, gigging 3-4 times a at week on average, and never once has it ever crossed my mind what a bass might weigh, unless it's flight cased for taking on a plane, or shipping.
I appreciate some people have back problems and then a particularly heavy 6 stringer may prove to be an issue.
I've owned and lugged some stupidly heavy gear over the years, along with PA etc.... and I went lightweight amp wise myself about 3 years ago, but bass weight never occurred to me, I just don't get it.

Can someone explain.. :mellow:
[/quote]

I'm with you, before coming here the weight of an instrument had never crossed my mind, but if you try to sell a bass here it'll likely be the first question asked by potential buyers, often ahead of "how does it sound?". I think it's like buying cars, there's a cultural expectation of certain things be so, and if they're not, that we are somehow not getting good value for money. There are of course a whole lot of other factors in music gear that are equally at odds with logic!

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1443021726' post='2871545']
I don't understand it either. You don't go into a music store and ask for a 3.5kg P bass do you.
I think we are getting obsessed with all things light weight.
We should stop obsessing and get on with playing.
[/quote]

This is the thing, it's just something I never came across before, and I worked in music gear retail for a bit some years back.

[quote name='spyder' timestamp='1443021726' post='2871545']
You don't go into a music store and ask for a 3.5kg P bass do you.

[/quote]

Speak for yourself.

I don't buy many basses from music stores, but EVERY bass I buy starts with a check of the weight.

There are some very good reasons for that which I understand fully.

If you don't understand my thinking, please forgive my lack of interest.

I think there are too many people here on Basschat who obsess about criticising people they've never met, on issues they clearly know nothing about.

(Obligatory smiley to show that I'm not an aggressive keyboard warrior hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet) :)

It's not accurate[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443021944' post='2871551']
Speak for yourself.

I don't buy many basses from music stores, but EVERY bass I buy starts with a check of the weight.

I think there are too many people here on Basschat who obsess about criticising people they've never met, on issues they clearly know nothing about.

(Obligatory smiley to show that I'm not an aggressive keyboard warrior hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet) :)
[/quote][quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443021944' post='2871551']
Speak for yourself.

[/quote]

It's not a criticism, it's a query, as it's just a bit surprising and a subject i've never come across.......
:) (non aggressive or sarcastic smiley back at ya)

I don't care how awesome a bass sounds if it is heavy enough to harm my back

Even if I buy from a box shifter like Thomann I email them and ask them to unpack the box and weigh it. If they won't then I don't buy. To be fair Thomann will do that.

Playing comfort (including balance) comes first. I don't want to get to the end of a gig and feel like I've been in a fight.

Even over a 1 hour standing performance the difference in battle-weariness is noticeable with only a 1/2 pound weight difference.

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443022285' post='2871560']
It's not accurate

It's not a criticism, it's a query, as it's just a bit surprising and a subject i've never come across.......

[/quote]

Just count yourself very lucky that you're not a chronic pain sufferer, because if you were this'd all make sense to you.

I'm a little astounded that you don't get most people either need to look after their back or want to do the best they can to prevent issues. But, my smiley was genuine because we all think differently, so this isn't a dig at you, simply an honest reply with no prejudice.

:) :) :)

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443021468' post='2871536']
I appreciate some people have back problems and then...[/quote]
I'm one of those; I damaged my back at work about 20 years ago. I have to be careful with the weight and lifting technique of everything I carry.

Having a heavier-than-necessary bass hanging off one shoulder would be a show-stopper.

But then for me, that applies to bags of shopping, tools, boxes of stuff, etc etc. It's not just basses.

Fwiw, I'm surprised that more for sale threads here don't list the weight, as someone always asks, and usually for good reason.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1443022555' post='2871567']
Just count yourself very lucky that you're not a chronic pain sufferer, because if you were this'd all make sense to you.
[/quote]

This is the crux of the matter. It boils down to the fact that if you're not actually in pain yourself then it's hard to understand that other people can be, and for what reason. It's like a friend telling you to 'snap out of it' when you're actually clinically depressed. If you've never suffered from depression there is no way you can appreciate how debilitating it really is.

Personally I've never suffered from pain brought on by a too-heavy bass thank God, but I sure as hell suffer pain from an unrelated condition, so can sympathise. However, I do prefer light basses purely because I find them easier to play, and for longer.

Plus, I'm sure there are quite a few, er... 'older' bass players on this forum (including myself) who have noticed all sorts of aches and pains that start to manifest themselves over time as our bodies become less flexible and weaker and we approach the time when we finally join the choir invisible. And what a fine day that will be as the angels of the LORD, in all their splendour... (cont p.94)

Edited by discreet

All of the above specific points re pain and fatigue are of course 100%. However, amongst some folks there is what is to my mind an unjustified mystique surrounding lighter-weight basses in general, that is that all other things being equal the lighter the bass the higher the quality, which I seriously doubt is the case (as a Wal owner I have to say that don't I) :)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1443022555' post='2871567']

I'm a little astounded that you don't get most people either need to look after their back or want to do the best they can to prevent issues. But, my smiley was genuine because we all think differently, so this isn't a dig at you, simply an honest reply with no prejudice.

:) :) :)
[/quote]

Fair enough... I appreciate everyone's priorities are different. I've had a few back issues, but more related to arthritis in my hip... luckily not for a while now. Guess I'm too stubborn to go light... :unsure:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443024353' post='2871594']
However, amongst some folks there is what is to my mind an unjustified mystique surrounding lighter-weight basses in general, that is that all other things being equal the lighter the bass the higher the quality,
[/quote]

I like light basses, but I don't think this. My opinion-without-base is that people will think light basses lack the character that you'd get with a heavier tone-wood. Then of course I remember that it's all in the LX and nothing to do with the wood at all. With this in mind, I'm having my next bass made out of polystyrene.

Probably best to just count your blessings if the weight of a bass isn't important, because once it matters everything else in Life becomes a lot less straightforward, too. One very silly example is that I am no longer able to cut my own toenails without risking my back going so have to have a chiropodist round every 6 weeks. There are 'slip-on shoes' days when tying laces is completely off the agenda. Et cetera ad nauseam :)

However, amongst some folks there is what is to my mind an unjustified mystique surrounding lighter-weight basses in general, that is that all other things being equal the lighter the bass the higher the quality, which I seriously doubt is the case (as a Wal owner I have to say that don't I) :)
[/quote]

Boo, rubbish! You just want everyone to know you've got a WAL! Thhhppp!! :P :D

[quote name='chevy-stu' timestamp='1443024359' post='2871595']

Fair enough... I appreciate everyone's priorities are different. I've had a few back issues, but more related to arthritis in my hip... luckily not for a while now. Guess I'm too stubborn to go light... :unsure:
[/quote]

Some of best sounding. basses I've owned have been 'heavy' (it's all subjectively relative weight wise isn't it?), so there's nowt wrong with your stubbornness if you're enjoying them!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1443025160' post='2871610']
I`ve a bad back and playing a 10lb+ bass isn`t good for it. However I`ve also found that basses under 8.5lbs don`t feel "right" to me, so prefer them around the 9lb mark.
[/quote]
try my dinkyP on Saturday lozz and you'll change your mind.....possibly

All of the above specific points re pain and fatigue are of course 100%. However, amongst some folks there is what is to my mind an unjustified mystique surrounding lighter-weight basses in general, that is that all other things being equal the lighter the bass the higher the quality, which I seriously doubt is the case (as a Wal owner I have to say that don't I) :)
[/quote]

I loved the Yamaha Attitude 3 I had. Sounded amazing and was built as well as any other bass out there.

But it was 12lb. Couldn't cope with that at all.