Why become a member? ×

Hellooo all

Thunderdragon

Hey all,

Well I'm pretty much new to playing bass. I played a little bit in my teenage years but never learnt too much.Now I'm a bit older (31) & I want to learn for real and learn properly. I like to play rocksmith a little bit to learn a few songs but it's not really teaching me about techniques or theory which I also want to learn.

For a few years I've had a cheap & cheerful Fender Squier starcaster jazz bass which I'm not majorly keen on and I've always wanted something a little better So yesterday after a lot of time researching I decided to buy a Epiphone Thunderbird Classic IV Pro in Alpine white. I just love the tone it gives out for some reason. I haven't got an amp yet and I will have to wait a few months to afford one so I'm just playing through my pc setup at the moment.

So yeah, look forward to talking to some you & picking up some good knowledge along the way.

Cheers,

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome! You sound like you're pretty much in the same boat as me. 31 years old too and just started playing this year having previously only noodled around on guitar in my teens. These forums have been utterly invaluable to me so far so I advise you to ask loads of questions as you'll always get tons of great advice.

Great bass btw! I've yet to play one but on looks alone it has to be one of the coolest basses ever :) what kind of music are you into?

On a side note you mention you've not yet got an amp. I thought I would mention these B3 pedals from zoom: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b3.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b3.htm[/url] They are a lot cheaper than even a modest practice amp and you can use them with headphones. They come with loads of amp-models, cab sims, effects and such as well. Added to that you also get a load of drum tracks built in and you can run an mp3-player into them to play along with which makes practicing so much easier. If there was one thing I could do different six months back when I was in the same place you are now it would have been to grab one of these as my first 'amp' rather than faffing around with practice amps. Even better is that if you decide to get big amp for playing in a band sometime then the B3 will make a great live tool too so no cash wasted.

Edited by Naetharu

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1444445378' post='2883343']
Welcome! You sound like you're pretty much in the same boat as me. 31 years old too and just started playing this year having previously only noodled around on guitar in my teens. These forums have been utterly invaluable to me so far so I advise you to ask loads of questions as you'll always get tons of great advice.

Great bass btw! I've yet to play one but on looks alone it has to be one of the coolest basses ever :) what kind of music are you into?

On a side note you mention you've not yet got an amp. I thought I would mention these B3 pedals from zoom: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b3.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_b3.htm[/url] They are a lot cheaper than even a modest practice amp and you can use them with headphones. They come with loads of amp-models, cab sims, effects and such as well. Added to that you also get a load of drum tracks built in and you can run an mp3-player into them to play along with which makes practicing so much easier. If there was one thing I could do different six months back when I was in the same place you are now it would have been to grab one of these as my first 'amp' rather than faffing around with practice amps. Even better is that if you decide to get big amp for playing in a band sometime then the B3 will make a great live tool too so no cash wasted.
[/quote]

Hey Naetharu, Thanks for your post & Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah seems like we are at a similar point. You seem to be making good progress but I've been a bit frustrated lately. I think I'm trying too much too soon. My hand aches really quickly after playing along to songs on rocksmith and I have to stop so I started using the studybass website and I seem to be on a better path now. I can't afford a tutor until after xmas so I need to self teach myself for the moment. what sort things are you doing to learn?

Thanks I'm glad I chose this bass. I love white guitars and I was looking at the thunderbirds and I saw they had a white model I was sold lol. Music wise I try to be open minded & I have quite a variety of stuff I listen too but I would say that rock & punk rock would be at the top. I like stuff like The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers, Green day, Metallica, Madness, Queen, Stiff little fingers, Oasis, Van Halen plus tons more and i'm always looking for new music to listen too.

That pedal looks awesome.Just what I need. It would be good for night time practice and for learning how to use the effects & settings. I will definitely be looking to buy one at xmas time. It would have been earlier but spent all my money on xbox games lol but yeah I will get it at some point.

Hello there! I'm definitely in the same boat as you - played basic ([i]bass[/i]-ic) stuff since I was about 16, with no consideration for technique. Now I've just turned 32 and I'm more interested in learning to be a better player than I ever have been!

By the way, I love that Thunderbird! I'm a huge Motley Crue fan and have wanted to give one a blast for a few years!