Why become a member? ×

Do I need an audio interface?

Rikki1984

Hi
I've just started home recording on Reaper using my Zoom B3 to connect my instruments to the laptop via USB.
This is all working fine, however when I compared the recording to one's I'd made on a little multi recorder I noticed the bass and guitar sounds are a lot 'duller' on Reaper.

Is the issue the Zoom B3 and would buying a audio interface (I was thinking Focusrite Solo, maybe?) sort this out?

Thanks

Edited by Rikki1984

I don't have a B3 any more but I did try it out once with Reaper and it was OK, have you tried recording with none of the effect on?

I think on the main setup page you can adjust the output volume, it would be worth checking that as well, if the signal is too low it could sound muffled when recorded.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried recording with my Zoom B1ON and the sound was as you described. So I now go direct into my "fantastic for the money" Behringer U-Phoria UM2 interface and add effects later in Reaper. Sounds much better especially when played through the Emissary or Helian 1st Bass plugins (amps).

Edited by Che