Why become a member? ×

Bass cab sim pedal / rack

adamg67

I've been working hard on my sound this year, and I'm liking the sound I get through my rig now, but one thing that bugs me is the difference between what I hear from my speakers and the sound that gets sent to the desk at gigs.

Both are from my Sansamp RBI, with line out going to a class D power amp and a couple of Markbass speakers and the DI coming from the RBI XLR out. So up to the output from the sansamp, everything is identical. This makes me think that the speakers are making the difference, so I'm wondering whether a cab sim after the XLR out would make it easier to get the FOH sound I want, by making it sound like what I get from my rig?

Do people use cab sims for this kind of thing? I was also wondering is just an EQ would do enough.

What I'm aiming for is a setup where I can get my sound right using my rig at home and in rehearsals, and then that's the sound I get FOH at a gig (give or take whatever the sound guy does to it).

Cheers,
Adam

Edited by adamg67

Possibly not the answer you want but chuck a mic on it, I always mic and DI then blend when I'm doing sound for bands, its the best way to get the sound the bass player has spent ages getting right reproduced out front. Ive spent a ton of time getting my own sound right and I hate my DI only tone, using a mic works a treat.

If you do want to use a cab sim ive heard a Palmer PDI 09 is a decent DI box/Cab sim that gets you there fairly cheaply, not used one myself however.

Edited by Bearfist

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1443191441' post='2872995']
Wouldn't you be stacking amp sims if you put an amp sim after the RBI ?
[/quote]

I would, I was thinking of just a cab sim (which the RBI doesn't have), like this but for bass: [url="http://www.sfxsound.com/microcab/"]http://www.sfxsound.com/microcab/[/url]

[quote name='adamg67' timestamp='1443193784' post='2873027']
I would, I was thinking of just a cab sim (which the RBI doesn't have), like this but for bass: [url="http://www.sfxsound.com/microcab/"]http://www.sfxsound.com/microcab/[/url]
[/quote]

Right, I thought the RBI output included a speaker sim.

I'd be inclined to go down the route that fretmeister suggested - treat your onstage sound as monitoring and rest easy your FOH is good. I've done this many times, but using my an EBS Microbass II as my 'amp and speakers' to send the FOH an 'amped' signal.

Edited by ahpook

Yeah, that is making some sense, there's a PA at the rehearsal place we use and I can use my audio interface + phones at home to check as well.

For small gigs I need just the backline but I know how to make that sound good. I was thinking about this on the way home and cutting the treble to just before the speakers notice might help as well.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1443193988' post='2873029']
Could you get the sound you want without the cabs just using the Sansamp kit - so the FOH has "your" sound, and then you can put up a not quite as perfect on stage sound from your cabs just as your personal monitor?
[/quote]

That's exactly how I do it. Means that for the times you don't use your own amp then it doesn't affect things too much.

I had my Sansamp straight into a desk at the weekend for recording, and wasn't loving the sound there much either, even with a bit of playing around, so I've got a DHA VT1 on the way courtesy of the basschat for sale pages, I'll see if that's different and if it's maybe just the sansamp sound I'm not so keen on and the speakers warm it up for me.

The RBI's output includes speaker emulation. The only problem in your specific application is that bass guitar speaker cabs don't sound like PA speakers. Your sound will change with every different set of speakers you use. I'm curious. How are you hearing your sound through the PA system at gigs while playing? Is the FOH telling you your sound is not good through the PA? What is wrong with the sound? Too, bright, too dark, too overdriven etc?

My guess is that you are probably running more high end with your bass cabs and that is getting exaggerated through the PA system. We use a fairly mild speaker sim EQ curve so it works well into a mixer as well as through a bass cab. If there is too much high end you can always roll off some at the board. If the mixer has sweepable mids that's even better.

If you really like the sound of the RBI with your bass rig try going direct with your amp and tweaking the tone at the mixer. Another way to do it is if you are running the RBI into the PA and a traditional bass amp you can get the sound you want with the RBI and mixer and the use the bass amp's tone controls to fine tune your stage sound.

Thanks for the reply, my impression of what it sounds like FOH is from a recording from the desk from one gig and video from another, which both sound fairly similar. There isn't actually anything wrong with the sound, it's just got more highs than I happen to like, I have a bit of an old fashioned sound. I think my speakers don't reproduce the highs as much. So, I think your guess is right, I'm running too much high end at the mo.

The problem we have with the local gigs is that we don't have a lot of control over the sound, so the closer it is to how I want it, the better.

I'll have a play with the RBI through the PA at rehearsals and get it as close as I can, then I can use those settings for gigs.