Why become a member? ×

Balancing my Bass

adamg67

It's an Ibanez BTB456 6 string, it has a pretty chunky neck & head and yeah, adding more weight to the body doesn't sound good. I could check out how much the tuners weigh.

If moving the neck end strap button helps, does moving the body end one towards the neck work? It'd have to be on the back of the body though.

Otherwise it's some way of extending tge horn which won't do much for the look of the thing.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1443623237' post='2876350']
Attach the strap at the head like they used to do with acoustic guitars?
[/quote]

Interesting, never seen that done on a bass.

From having a mess about, I think attaching the body end of the strap further towards the neck has the same effect, I'll experiment with the aid of cable ties and see what I can work out.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1443684281' post='2876793']
Apparently moving the bridge strap pin partway up the lower bout (as on a Spector - see pic below) helps to counteract neck dive
[/quote]

That's interesting, I came to the conclusion that having a strap button on the back of the bass a bit further forward than that would do the trick on mine. At least if it's on the back it won't matter too much if it doesn't work out,

Take off 1 tuner (including the bushing) and weigh it.

Then you can compare with the Hipshot weights. Ibby tuners are quite light anyway, they may not be light enough to make a difference you want to pay for.

On a trad bass with big plate tuners swapping to Ultralites can save half a pound on a 5 string!

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1443959391' post='2878946']
"... strap button on back of bass"

I've just found that Dingwall do this with a flush mounted Dunlop strap pin on the back of the body.
[/quote]

I found a spare strap button so as soon as I get chance I'll fit it to the back, but probably a little bit higher than that to stop it rubbing as it won't be flush. It's not a really expensive bass so a small hole on the back isn't a big deal if it doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1444122336' post='2880394']
Take off 1 tuner (including the bushing) and weigh it.

Then you can compare with the Hipshot weights. Ibby tuners are quite light anyway, they may not be light enough to make a difference you want to pay for.

On a trad bass with big plate tuners swapping to Ultralites can save half a pound on a 5 string!
[/quote]Because of the lever effect the 1/2 pound is much heavier.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1443684281' post='2876793']
Apparently moving the bridge strap pin partway up the lower bout (as on a Spector - see pic below) helps to counteract neck dive
[/quote]

I've modded a few neckdivers this way, keeping the existing strap button (usually at the centre) and adding one up here. Make sure the strap has holes for both buttons, I like to leave a little bit of slack between the two buttons on the strap to thread my lead through.