Why become a member? ×

Which Audio Interface?

xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1446569469' post='2900411']
Oooh. Just had a look. Now that's another fine option. I might hold off & get that & a camera kit for the ipad. :)
[/quote]

If you do decide, I would hold off for a few days or so.
Usually, you can get a better deal at the likes of 'GAK' etc.
It's only just been announced, so should hit the shops soon.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1446566386' post='2900363']
If the above Roland is not what you need (one of my boys has one, and it's great).
New kid on the block - Steinberg UR22 mk2.
You can also connect it to an iPad.
I have the mk1, and it's excellent.
[url="http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur22mkii.html"]http://www.steinberg...s/ur22mkii.html[/url]
[/quote]

I recent bought the UR242 and am quite happy with it. The extra input pair and separate power supply are useful features in my world. No idea about how it runs on a Mac or iPad though.

Edited by Passinwind

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1446572184' post='2900469']
I recent bought the UR242 and am quite happy with it. The extra input pair and separate power supply are useful features in my world. No idea about how it runs on a Mac or iPad though.
[/quote]

Yer, not sure. I run mine on PC.
Although on the various Cubase user Facebook pages,
the UR242 gets very favourable comments, along with the UR22,
on both Mac and Windows.

Edited by lowdown

Probably also an used model is a little bit over your budget... but I bought an used Apogee Duet on eBay some years ago (firewire or USB) and It works simply great.
I made different updates of my Mac OS X so I had some issues with compatibility but they helped me as I was one of their best customers!
Really recommended ;)

• 4 weeks later...

After much humming & hawing, I was gonna grab the Persons iTwo studio pack, then saw the Zoom Tac-2 drop to £99, but after having a good look at it, the plastic box put me off. Then a new contender appeared that I hadn't really noticed before...

OK, I can't use it with my iPad, but it's got 4 separate ins & outs, a digital in/out & Midi, so I've bought myself a NI Komplete Audio 6.

I'll let you know after Xmas if it's any good. :(

Edited by xgsjx

This may seem like a dumb question but could I run one of these audio interfaces (I was looking at the focus rite solo thingy) without my laptop connected as a headphone practice amp?

I'm guessing I'd have to power it via usb but it just struck me while looking for a headphone amp that one of these might double up for both tasks- well if it had a separate power supply feeding it.

Opinions or a swift slap round the ear appreciated

Edited by krispn

Thats what I plan to do; buy a cheap Behringer pre amp and plug into my Behringer U-Phoria UM2 interface for practice but I will also need to plug the interface into the usb on laptop. The interface has the Direct Monitoring for plugging in the headphones so yes you can do that.

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1449017855' post='2920199']
This may seem like a dumb question but could I run one of these audio interfaces (I was looking at the focus rite solo thingy) without my laptop connected as a headphone practice amp?

I'm guessing I'd have to power it via usb but it just struck me while looking for a headphone amp that one of these might double up for both tasks- well if it had a separate power supply feeding it.

Opinions or a swift slap round the ear appreciated
[/quote]

The audio interface is the connection you need to transform your analog signal (example your bass sound) in digital signal (the same bass sound translated into the computer language). That's the reason they have a FireWire or USB connection and not a power supply.

Probably you need something which allow you to play&listen your bass without your computer (??)... in this case I use a really cheeper software, also available for iPhone (...yes...only sometimes, I swear...but I'm guilty of having made my bass sound by my mobile...): [url="http://www.positivegrid.com"]http://www.positivegrid.com[/url]

Edited by gioby1

Gioby

That's what I initially thought. I've been looking at the MicroMon from beringher which could take the di from my preamp on the pedal board and use the other line in from iPod/laptop. It's a tidy we unit and only about £20! Thanks for the input

The one i've been using for the last few years is a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB.

Build quality was really important to me as i'm quite clumsy and this baby had a nice metal case - well put together and feels high quality. Dropped it onto a laminate floor from waist height (doh) and it works fine. I run it with Cubase on an old Windows 7 laptop and there is no noticeable latency. Drivers are excellent - support and documentation brilliant. My mate has an M-Audio which is plastic - it runs ok and does the job but it doesn't stack up against the Focusrite although the M-Audi is cheaper.

This is probably the 2015 equivalent:

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/focusrite-saffire-pro-24/21435?gclid=CMzyyd7kwskCFUESGwod6ooIWw"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/focusrite-saffire-pro-24/21435?gclid=CMzyyd7kwskCFUESGwod6ooIWw[/url]

Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, this threads been useful to me. I've just put an order in for Focusrite's Claret 2 Pre, thanks to Sibob - who is a great help and answered all my questions (thank you).

I predominately went for it due to the thunderbolt link up, meaning ultra low latency. I'll let you know how I get on...

• 2 years later...

Jumping on this thread as it has useful info. Things seem to have moved on with tech a wee bit in the last two years  

I am after an audio interface and can’t decide between these three all in my limited budget:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v2

Steinberg UR 242

Sreinberg UR22 mkii

Any opinions from experience. It’ll be used for recording bass guitar, electric guitar and acoustic guitar for demos in the House. The Steinergs come with Cubase light and the Focusrite comes with Protools light. This is my first foray  into audio interfaces. 

16 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

The Steinergs come with Cubase light and the Focusrite comes with Protools light. This is my first foray  into audio interfaces. 

Just to clarify, the 2i2 (as all Scarletts do) comes bundled with Pro Tools First as well as Ableton Live Lite, as well as a number of other very helpful free plugins (I can elaborate if needed) ^_^

Cheers
Si // Focusrite

• Like 1

I have the Behringer UCM22 which is the metal cased one with better preamps and it sounds very good.

I got the Focusrite Saffire 6 which will tick all your boxes for £40 second hand on Ebay. I know it is an older interface but as everything Focusrite it will work forever with no issues.

Edited by Mcgiver69

On 01/03/2018 at 09:28, Sibob said:

Just to clarify, the 2i2 (as all Scarletts do) comes bundled with Pro Tools First as well as Ableton Live Lite, as well as a number of other very helpful free plugins (I can elaborate if needed) ^_^

Cheers
Si // Focusrite

thanks for your feedback folks. I found a great deal on the Roland Rubix24 so went for that. It seems to offer all the things I need and then some and I got four outputs so helpful for my needs and my available money. I’ll report back once it arrives and I have spent some time with it. 

14 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

thanks for your feedback folks. I found a great deal on the Roland Rubix24 so went for that. It seems to offer all the things I need and then some and I got four outputs so helpful for my needs and my available money. I’ll report back once it arrives and I have spent some time with it. 

Glad you got it sorted! You're going to have a lot of fun with your new interface.

In case anyone stumbles on this thread at a later date, I'd like to add a +1 for Focusrite products... and I'm no way affiliated with them or fellow moderator Sibob (but I am always open to bribes ;)). They're consistently good interfaces: nice build quality, low latency and all round good value for money. I previously owned a 2i4 and wish I'd kept hold of it as a portable interface; it was perfect for getting ideas down quickly.

I've also had good experiences with TASCAM products. In fact, I think Dad3353 might still be using my old TASCAM 144-MK2 interface!?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skol303 said:

...I've also had good experiences with TASCAM products. In fact, I think Dad3353 might still be using my old TASCAM 144-MK2 interface!?

He is indeed, and very pleased with his modest investment, too. :D
I'd be up to a Focusrite 'shoot-out', given the chance, but I'm not sure that their generosity rises to that level. :|

2 hours ago, Skol303 said:

I've also had good experiences with TASCAM products. In fact, I think Dad3353 might still be using my old TASCAM 144-MK2 interface!?

I doubt I'll ever buy another TASCAM product again. My very expensive digital mixer never got most the promised software updates, so many of the functions remained inoperative. When it started behaving erratically TASCAM wanted an inordinate amount of money to just look at it while simultaneously saying that they would be unlikely to be able to fix it. They wouldn't even give me a hint as to where the memory backup battery might be located so I could have a go at eking a few more years of life out of it. Getting a full set of schematics was completely out of the question - even though I was prepared to pay for them.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I doubt I'll ever buy another TASCAM product again...

That sounds like very bad customer service from TASCAM (I must admit I've never had to call upon them for support).

I assume you also tried approaching the retailer to help fix the problem, or was it long after you'd purchased it?