Why become a member? ×

Birthday flatwounds

spectoremg

Ladies and Gents,

I'd appreciate some help please. My cousin's decided that for his upcoming 60th he'd like to give flats another whirl. He plays finger style funk/soul/Motown on an eighties bought Precision (see pic) through an Ampeg BA300 combo - no effects. He knows his current set of rounds are 45-105 gauge but doesn't know the brand. Probably looking for the minimum faff re tensions.
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

[attachment=201605:Pete's bass crop.jpg]

Given the Motown name check, LaBellas would be my first port of call. Other folk have mentioned that the tension is quite high, but I've never noticed any difference between them and my usual Elixir or D'Addario rounds (45, 55, 80, 100). http://www.labella.com/products/760fl/

I'm a big fan of the new Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Flats. Very bright (and kind of roundwound-y) for flats but if you roll off the tone they have loads of character.

Alternatively, I find that Status flats really have that old school sound when worn in and are exceptional value. I prefer the sound to LaBellas or TI's

• 3 weeks later...

If he is used to 45-105 rounds, the 45-105 flats or the Jamerson set will seem too heavy. I would recommend the La Bella 760FL 43-104. They will have only slightly more tension than what he is used to, and will get the tone he is after. As always, when changing make, model and gauge of strings, he may need his setup adjusted accordingly.

Edited by iiipopes