Why become a member? ×

Red Witch "Zeus" Bass Fuzz/Octave

0175westwood29

Morning guys

doing the normal search on the web to see what pedals are around and have always liked the Red Witch stuff, and came across there second bass specific pedal the "Zeus"

as with there factotum drive pedal there an analogue octave with a mix control and then theres the silicone fuzz based on there Fuzz god 2 pedal.

it sounds to me anyway seriously good! if you dnt like aggressive fuzz then this probs isnt for you! but as a big lover of the mxr submachine this is something id love to have a go on!

http://www.redwitchpedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=86

Andy

Oy vey. The GAS...

The octave sound sounds great in the demos, but I'm not sure I totally like the fuzz part (totally personal thing of course). I also really dislike internal trimpots, because my OCD won't let me pass the chance to use them and I'll end up spending the rest of my life taking this apart and back together just to try different settings.

Also, it's a bit big.

Pity they don't do just the octave in a dedicated pedal. I might have gone for this if it sounded good in a few more demos...

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1443320608' post='2873843']
Now that pedal sounds great. I've been after a nice analog octave pedal for a while now. Add that fuzz in and I think I just found the number one item on this years Xmas list - time to start droping some heavy-handed hints :ph34r:
[/quote]

I think I'm def gonna have to try it!

• 1 month later...

Well I bounced off that one. The pedal arrived yesterday afternoon. A very nice looking unit with some great packaging and a little instruction note written in the same manner as those awful bits you get on the side of Innocent Smoothie cartons.

However, upon plugging in I was at best underwhelmed. The sub-octave was not too bad. It seemed to have a bit of trouble tracking notes that were held for any length of time, oscillating a little between notes giving a slightly de-tuned sound. Nothing terrible but given all the guff about it being a fantastic analog unit I was hoping for something a little tighter.

The fuzz was just depressing. Now I am honestly not sure if the unit I got was defective it was that bad. First, it was more fizz than fuzz. I was in the studio live-room with my band last night doing a bit of prep for a gig, and so I had the chance to use a nice Ampeg SVT-CL into an SVT-810 cab. Even through that monster it just sounded bad.

Without the high-gain switch on it was fizzy and thin with a bit of crackle. Once the high-gain switch was engaged it was just so messy that notes were lost. It seemed almost impossible to get it to a happy balance between the two. Also, the sputter control was very odd. The idea was that by turning it counter-clockwise you get a kind of gated effect giving the bass a nice staccato sound. All it seemed to do was crackle lots and cut the fuzz out completely if moved to the wrong point. I could not get a proper 'sputter' out of it at all.

As I say, I may have had a defective unit (which in itself is pretty disappointing given that it is supposed to be a premium pedal and so one would expect better QC) but if not then it was a major let-down for me.

Having done a bit more research this morning I have found quite a few anecdotal accounts of Red Witch units with defective sputter controls and/or sputter controls that wear out quickly* and end just killing the sound rather than properly gating the fuzz. I have no way to verify these of course, they're just comments left by users on Ultimate Guitar and other such sites. However, given my experience I don't find it hard to believe.

Needless to say it went right back in its little box and a return has been raised with Thomann.

If anyone else grabs one of these I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts.

Alas, the quest for awesome fuzz continues.

*Just worth adding that these accounts where about other models such as the Fuzz God rather than the Zeus, but I assume that the difference comes down to a variation on a theme and thus they are relevant all the same.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1447934152' post='2911550']
Mmmm ive managed to speak to the guys at red witch and im getting one in the next few weeks so ill let you know how i get on man!

and im gonna do a review, so you can compare your experience

andy
[/quote]

Cheers, that would be very interesting. Certainly keen to know if my unit is defective or if it just sounds a bit pants.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1447935192' post='2911556']
Cheers, that would be very interesting. Certainly keen to know if my unit is defective or if it just sounds a bit pants.
[/quote]

finally got it today, i think you must have a busted unit mate, bit fat very aggressive fuzz, i think thats why you have the high end roll of to take of the harsh top if you dnt want it, i however do! from playing it shortly mind im loving it! and the octave down is lovely!

and my sputter control works well so i think you got a duffer.

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1449075804' post='2920598']

finally got it today, i think you must have a busted unit mate, bit fat very aggressive fuzz, i think thats why you have the high end roll of to take of the harsh top if you dnt want it, i however do! from playing it shortly mind im loving it! and the octave down is lovely!

and my sputter control works well so i think you got a duffer.

Andy
[/quote]

You going to do a video Andy?

Cheers for the update Andy,

Mine sounded [b]nothing [/b]like your demo there. It just either did massive fizz or no gain at all and the sputter knob didn't work. The fizz was not just bass sound being a bit too treble focused; it was a high pitch nasty noise that made it sound like a dying trannie amp.

After listening to your video I would be tempted to try one again.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1450996906' post='2937807']
Cheers for the update Andy,

Mine sounded [b]nothing [/b]like your demo there. It just either did massive fizz or no gain at all and the sputter knob didn't work. The fizz was not just bass sound being a bit too treble focused; it was a high pitch nasty noise that made it sound like a dying trannie amp.

After listening to your video I would be tempted to try one again.
[/quote]

Well worth it mate!

Andy