Why become a member? ×

Schroeder. The New Black?

Billy Apple

Thanks, that helps.
Ive got a thread on here about replacing my 1212L with something else, and i did buy a BF Retro two10 but felt it was not quite what i was looking for, although definitely in the right direction away from the 1212L
Do you find the Compact to be as pokey and loud as the 1212L (from memory of course), or at least able to keep up as the 1212L did. A super compact is top of my list at the moment.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443517414' post='2875365']
Thanks, that helps.
Ive got a thread on here about replacing my 1212L with something else, and i did buy a BF Retro two10 but felt it was not quite what i was looking for, although definitely in the right direction away from the 1212L
Do you find the Compact to be as pokey and loud as the 1212L (from memory of course), or at least able to keep up as the 1212L did. A super compact is top of my list at the moment.
[/quote]

Dave do you have any gigs between now and Oct 24th? All my gigs before then don't warrant using both Super Compacts, if you want to borrow one to see how it fares you're very welcome :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443517414' post='2875365']
Thanks, that helps.
[/quote]

The Compact is a great cab. Does what it's told ;) Stick poke in, you'll get poke out. I EQ quite flat with a little accent on low mids. I roll off the treble completely on my P. No problem being heard with a 600W poweramp on relatively low.

The Big One is a brilliant cab and I miss it, but it was too big for my boot with my amp in too so leaving my car anywhere with gear in was an issue.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1443291326' post='2873657']
Does anyone else think that a different style player (no offence Loz! Might have yielded different results ?

Loz was all about the attack
[/quote]

As I understand it, Lozz plays P-bass with a pick so I'd say that was probably a typical test.
Depends what most players who buy those cabs play like detemines how valid it is.
I expect a mid hump cab to be most exposed to this style of attack/playing/sound so for the mid hump cab to
end up on top says quite a lot, IMO

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1443544749' post='2875708']

Dave do you have any gigs between now and Oct 24th? All my gigs before then don't warrant using both Super Compacts, if you want to borrow one to see how it fares you're very welcome :)
[/quote]

Wow. Thanks for the very generous offer but my next gig isn't until Nov.

I brought a new phone yesterday, so that's the budget gone for now. I'm stuck with the 1212L for a bit longer.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1443546775' post='2875728']

The Compact is a great cab. Does what it's told ;) Stick poke in, you'll get poke out. I EQ quite flat with a little accent on low mids. I roll off the treble completely on my P. No problem being heard with a 600W poweramp on relatively low.

The Big One is a brilliant cab and I miss it, but it was too big for my boot with my amp in too so leaving my car anywhere with gear in was an issue.
[/quote]

Cheers, I think I can get away with something smaller, but I also need to work on my technique. What I've noticed over the last few months is that how I play is making a big difference. After years of playing pick onny I'm now getting the hang of playing with fingers, but it's a different tone to the one I'm so used to and I still need to get my head around this.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443637554' post='2876536']

Wow. Thanks for the very generous offer but my next gig isn't until Nov.

I brought a new phone yesterday, so that's the budget gone for now. I'm stuck with the 1212L for a bit longer.
[/quote]

November then - give me a shout if you want to borrow one even if just for shits and giggles :)

Edited by Merton

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443378910' post='2874262']
An outfit called B-Low are handling Schroeder in the UK - I don't know anything about them, however.
[url="http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/"]http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/[/url]

I bought both my Schros from this very boutique (i.e. BC) - they do come up occasionally, but you have to keep your eyes open.
[/quote]

I can help with some of the issues mentioned in this thread, build quality to name one:

Bear with me on this:

After reading about Schroeder Cabs and their 'Sound' on this here Forum I looked on the Schroeder www to see who stocked them in the UK, SFX were listed on the www as UK agents/stockists, but they no longer existed at the time of my interest. I mailed Schroeder's direct and found out that they had been dispensed with about 6 years previous to my inquiry (this was December 2014) for unmentioned reasons. I perused the www and became excited at the 18PL and 210PL stack and ordered direct from Jorg 2 x 4 Ohm cabs in December last year intending to use them with my Tecamp BonaFide, Bass boost on one channel for the 18PL (30 Hz - 18 kHz) and the 210PL for the other channel. Both cabs are in my weight limit with the 210PL being a one handed lift (on paper). At the time of ordering I had not found anything detrimental to my purchase!

My cabs arrived in the Epoxy finish that seemed to be the Schroeder standard, I didn't like that as they were still 'sticky' to touch but I thought they would harden off in time. Sound wise and construction wise they were spot on and delivered everything I wanted. I mailed Jorg, as we were on 1st name terms and I asked if he would be interested in representation in the UK, my background is Sales, Marketing and Business Development, we agreed to Skype top explore the possibilities.

By the time we Skype'd I had discovered that there had been construction and reliability issues in the past, I raised this with Jorg and was satisfied with his answer that Chinese built Eminence speakers and a duff pallet of Chinese wood from his lumber merchant caused many of the issues. Drivers are now Italian B&C and all reliability issues have been addressed over the past years so that now they have good product and plenty of good reports from users. We decided to bite the bullet and place an order delivery to coincide with a web site going live. Initially we majored on Schroeder as a www name but then decided to spread the net wider with other merchandise and changed the name to www.b-lowbass.co.uk [attachment=202061:be-low bass.png]

It is worth pointing out that Schroeder's is a small family run company, easier to react positively to customer "Custom" requirements such as 'Tolex' finish.

I was not a fan of the epoxy finish so we ordered all Cabs in a black 'Tolex' finish. The initial order was for the the Mini series, 8, 10, 12 and 15PL (all 8 Ohm cabs) as they had a common 17" dimension that allowed stacking, if you happened to spot them at the Bass Bash the 'tower' included from bottom up, 15PL, 12L, Mini10+L topped out by the Mini8+L.

The results of the Cab Shoot out was a pleasant surprise for me and b-low bass, we sent the thread to Jorg as vindication of our faith in the product.

If you are in driving distance of Leicester and you want a shot of an 18PL (4 Ohm), 210PL (4 Ohm), 1212L (4 Ohm) , 15PL (8 Ohm), 12PL (8 Ohm), 12L (8 Ohm), Mini 10+L (8 Ohm) or the magnificent Mini 8+L cab (8 Ohm)PM me or hit the www and inquire away.

Thanks for reading and I trust this has clarified some of the issues raised in this thread.

Brian

Edited by Oldman

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1444044891' post='2879681']
^^^ that's all good to hear.
[/quote]

^^^ It certainly is! :) Just by the way, I used my 21012L at an audition last Friday and it sounded incredible. The band commented very positively on the sound I was getting (P Bass/SVT350H/Schroeder) which is a first for me at an audition. But then it's the first time I've ever used my own kit at an audition, so...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1444045861' post='2879691']
^^^ It certainly is! :) Just by the way, I used my 21012L at an audition last Friday and it sounded incredible. The band commented very positively on the sound I was getting (P Bass/SVT350H/Schroeder) which is a first for me at an audition. But then it's the first time I've ever used my own kit at an audition, so...
[/quote]

Liked it enough to get the gig..??

I've got a Schroeder 1210R I got from Basschat a few years back - and I've used it for almost every gig since (paired with a Little Mark III).

Its not lightweight, but its the best single cab rig for me. My Aguilar GS410 is arguably better and bigger sounding, but it a lot, lot bigger and heavier.

I love my Schroeder. Brilliant cab.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Oldman' timestamp='1444043576' post='2879657']

After reading about Schroeder Cabs and their 'Sound' on this here Forum I looked on the Schroeder www to see who stocked them in the UK, SFX were listed on the www as UK agents/stockists, but they no longer existed at the time of my interest. I mailed Schroeder's direct and found out that they had been dispensed with about 6 years previous to my inquiry (this was December 2014) for unmentioned reasons.

[/quote]

I had a chat with Jorg about this once - the reasons related to some of SFX's dodgy sales approaches, including passing of ex-demo or returns as new cabs.

[quote]
By the time we Skype'd I had discovered that there had been construction and reliability issues in the past, I raised this with Jorg and was satisfied with his answer that Chinese built Eminence speakers and a duff pallet of Chinese wood from his lumber merchant caused many of the issues. Drivers are now Italian B&C and all reliability issues have been addressed over the past years so that now they have good product and plenty of good reports from users. We decided to bite the bullet and place an order delivery to coincide with a web site going live. Initially we majored on Schroeder as a www name but then decided to spread the net wider with other merchandise and changed the name to www.b-lowbass.co.uk [attachment=202061:be-low bass.png]
[/quote]

As the person who started the thread on these forums when Jorg shared the good news about a new UK distributor, can I just say a huge thanks to you for making these more readily available? I've a old-style 1212 (with the downward firing speaker) and a new 15PL, and they are both amazing. Yes, the epoxy finish can make them seem a bit cheap, but on the plus side, nothing's going to slip off your cab! The B&C driver in the 15PL is immense and easily copes with everything I've thrown at it. As a one-cab option, the 1212 is hard to beat, but combine these two with my TC Blacksmith and I can cause structural damage if I wish! :D