Why become a member? ×

Schroeder. The New Black?

Billy Apple

Just back in from the SE Bash where Lozz captained the cab shoot-out. From the various cabs demoed in the 212, 115 and 112 range the one brand that stood out as being consistently good was Schroeder. Not just that, but they looked good, seemed well constructed and the 212 was an easy lift.

I'm just wondering why out of the usual suspects that are put forward as the best here, Schroeder is a name that does not figure.

Before today I'd say who the f*** are Schroeder? Now I'd say well worth a punt.

When Schroeders were new and trendy (about 2007/8), they eventually fell out of favour because they had a mid hump. If today's shoot out is any indication, the mid hump seems to be seen as something positive again. Just goes to show that just because something is technically efficient and well engineered doesn't mean it sounds better than less efficient cabs.

BTW, I got the name of my cabs wrong. fEARfuls are the cabs available on plan, fEARless are the cabs I brought. Sorry for that but I'm pleased they got such a positive reaction from everyone.

If anyone is considering a fEARless purchase, the builder is Tricky Audio in Kent. Drop the owner Guy Trigg an email, his email is [email protected].

Tricky Audio website: [url="http://trickyaudio.wix.com/trickyaudio"]http://trickyaudio.wix.com/trickyaudio[/url]

Facebook: [url="https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio"]https://www.facebook.com/trickyaudio[/url]

Edited by Kiwi
clarification

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1443291168' post='2873654']
When Schroeders were new and trendy (about 2007/8), they eventually fell out of favour because they had a mid hump. If today's shoot out is any indication, the mid hump seems to be seen as something positive again. Just goes to show that just because something is technically efficient and well engineered doesn't mean it sounds pleasant.
[/quote]

Not all Schroeders have a mid-hump. Out of the two Schros I have experience of, the first (a 1212L) had the mid-hump and it was very good for getting you heard in a live band situation. The second (a 210120L, which I still own) does not have the mid-hump, nevertheless it is a killer cab and will fill any size room with incredible-sounding bass. I haven't had cab GAS for a year now, and I don't think I ever will - unless I join a band with roadies and crew, in which case I will allow my underlying and persistent USA Ampeg 8X10 GAS to come to the fore.

But in the real world, I believe Schroeder cabs to be the ideal one-cab solution. I love 'em. :)

Edited by discreet

Yeah, but all I'm saying is that this was the prevailing opinion after the novelty wore off. IIRC 1212L's were pretty popular back then and the other models may not have been given the same consideration. Lozz mentioned prominent mids during the summary so it seems the tide might be turning - mid hump or not.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1443290108' post='2873642']
Just back in from the SE Bash where Lozz captained the cab shoot-out. From the various cabs demoed in the 212, 115 and 112 range the one brand that stood out as being consistently good was Schroeder. Not just that, but they looked good, seemed well constructed and the 212 was an easy lift.

I'm just wondering why out of the usual suspects that are put forward as the best here, Schroeder is a name that does not figure.[/quote]

The older ones were not uniformly all that well built or well engineered, so many people may just ignore the newer ones I guess. I owned a couple (1210R and 21012L) and they sounded nothing like each other. Glad to hear that Jorg has upped his game, he's a great guy.

Edited by Passinwind

Wish i could get one of those 21012's to replace my 1212L.

As for Schroeder's not being mentioned much on here, they are quite difficult to get hold of new. Back when i got my first 1210R i had to order it direct from Jorg. The current 1212L came from SHX music, which is no longer going i believe.
I cant think of many places that stock them.

Agree about the mid hump though. It drives me crazy BUT it does get me heard no matter where i play, and outfront that mid hump isnt a bad as it is close up.

Still looking to replace it, but so far.......

I used to own a 410L and gigged this for a few years. Amazing sounding cab and can only blame BC for the GAS that made me move it on. This had the 2 angled speakers and only suggestion would be for them to have been angled upwards rather than sideways. I used to put the cab on its side to hear it better on stages where I had to stand very close to the cab.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1443353059' post='2874012']
Why not just turn the mids down for that specific frequency then?! Am I the only person who does this and gets good results?
[/quote]

I think we had this conversation in my 1212L thread.

Standing up close is when i find it not ideal. Out front the hump helps shape the tone, and i do like how it sounds halfway down the room. Its just s bit full on up on stage sometimes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443354030' post='2874025']
...Out front the hump helps shape the tone, and I do like how it sounds halfway down the room...
[/quote]

And that's the bottom line. Yes, I said 'bottom'. On a Sunday, too.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443354198' post='2874027']
And that's the bottom line. Yes, I said 'bottom'. On a Sunday, too.
[/quote]

Sometimes it can be a real bummer though ;-).

Ive always thought these cabs have two tones. The loud, middy, cut through on stage sound, great for hearing yourself over everything, and out front more of a deeper, but a bit scooped tone that fills the spaces well. This is great but a lot of my gigs are on small stages where the on stage tone can be just a bit too much full on.
Had a gig last night and all i could hear on stage was me, yet in the main part of the pub i was sitting quite low in the mix. Couldn't turn it up and didnt want to re EQ for fear of effecting the out front tone. Crappy pub stage though this wasnt really the norm.
Starting tot wish i hadnt sold the RT10 so quickly now lol.

I had to get my 1515L from a retailer in Sweden, and yes, the 1212/1210/1515 series of angled cabs have the low-mid hump which suits some people's sound more than others. I don't know of anywhere that stocks them, but I could be out of touch on that one. They're certainly not widely available.

It always amazes me that on here we seem to strive for a panacea which will please everybody and will be the 'ultimate' cab, as if we all had the same sound requirements for the music we play. It's bananas. There's lots of guys on here whose opinions I respect completely, but it took a while to realise that while they know exactly what they're talking about, what they would consider great I'd probably hate, and vice versa.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1443354650' post='2874034']
Yes, you should have kept that and sold the 1212L to me. ;)
[/quote]

Dont worry, when the time comes you have first refusal...even though you dont need it ;-)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1443354865' post='2874038']
I had to get my 1515L from a retailer in Sweden, and yes, the 1212/1210/1515 series of angled cabs have the low-mid hump which suits some people's sound more than others.

It always amazes me that on here we seem to strive for a panacea which will please everybody and will be the ultimate' cab, as if we all had the same sound requirements for the music we play. It's bananas. There's lots of guys on here whose opinions I respect completely, but it took a while to realise that while they know exactly what they're talking about, what they would consider great I'd probably hate, and vice versa.
[/quote]

Agree. I think what works for some doesn't work for others, and there are so many variables that its easy to make a mistake.

I can never tell how something will work for me until i gig it. Even playing at work doesn't really help as everything sounds good at low volume. Its not until i have to play to a room full of people, on a hollow stage, that i can really tell whats going to work.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443352123' post='2873996']
Wish i could get one of those 21012's to replace my 1212L.
[/quote]

I made that switch from a 1210, came to regret it quite a bit. The 1210 was only really good for one band I played in, but it was perfect for that. The 21012 was just way too heavy and bulky for my loading and playing situations, although it definitely was a much more versatile cab. But of course, what I replaced it with ended up being even bigger and heavier, and pretty much never leaves my house these days.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1443354865' post='2874038']
I don't know of anywhere that stocks them, but I could be out of touch on that one. They're certainly not widely available.
[/quote]

An outfit called B-Low are handling Schroeder in the UK - I don't know anything about them, however.
[url="http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/"]http://www.b-lowbass.co.uk/[/url]

I bought both my Schros from this very boutique (i.e. BC) - they do come up occasionally, but you have to keep your eyes open.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1443293032' post='2873672']
I had two, and went off them eventually 'cos the build quality was dreadful, and the tone was tiring.
[/quote]

Yep. I had one, a 1212L special in orange. I really liked it to begin with but eventually I found the tone had too much honk. As soon as I noticed that I couldn't see to EQ it out. I have a better amp now but back then I had an Ampeg SVT-IIP into a poweramp, which was all a bit low middy to begin with.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1443387031' post='2874357']

Yep. I had one, a 1212L special in orange. I really liked it to begin with but eventually I found the tone had too much honk. As soon as I noticed that I couldn't see to EQ it out. I have a better amp now but back then I had an Ampeg SVT-IIP into a poweramp, which was all a bit low middy to begin with.
[/quote]

What cab did you replace the 1212L with?

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1443511217' post='2875282']

What cab did you replace the 1212L with?
[/quote]

A barefaced big one, which I've subsequently replaced with a compact.

I found both, the big one especially, are much easier to get what I expected from EQ. The compact is nearly as good but of course misses some of the low end.