Why become a member? ×

[sfx] H1 vs PJB Big Head

sk8

Not sure where to put this but it sort of fits here. Mods move if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for a headphone amp with aux in as find myself using spotify more instead of buying tracks to to put on my Tascam MPBT1. I know there are cheaper options and multi's that can do this. I'm currenltyu using a cheapy mixer to achieve this but would like something more portable for when I travel. Now we all know Max makes top notch gear (I've owned a few creations) and this was where I was originally heading before stumbling on the PJB. The H1 is just an amp but the Bighead is that and much more plus its rechargable. I'm not sure I'd use all the features of the BigHead but it is appealing.

Anyone got any real world views of either or actually compared both?

I've just got myself a PJ Big Head and so far, have to say it has impressed. :)

I've done a bit of recording through it, on to my computer, which worked well and sounded great.

Have practiced some tunes with headphones plugged and not suffered the wrath of mrs mac.

Tried my I Pod through it and then into my hi-fi.

So, all great so far, plus it seems very well built and although tiny, feels reassuringly robust.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443528693' post='2875527']
Well that's a very crude way of putting it but ... erm ... yes.
[/quote]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1443541227' post='2875666']

Ironic
[/quote]

😂😂😄😄😄😄😄

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443449245' post='2874752']
I'm surprised at how little actual amplification the BigHead offers. The sound is excellent, but it seems to have very little headroom.
[/quote]

You might want to check it's working properly Jack, I can't turn mine up very far before I start to feel my ears reacting? Plenty loud enough for me for sure, especially using the Aux in.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1443543893' post='2875696']

You might want to check it's working properly Jack, I can't turn mine up very far before I start to feel my ears reacting? Plenty loud enough for me for sure, especially using the Aux in.
[/quote]

Echoes my experience too. Plenty loud enough for me. Could it have something to do with the impedance of your headphones?

• 1 month later...

I sold my 3leaf Enabler and bought the Bighead. The Bighead doesn't sound quite as good as the Enabler for bass, and the aux in certainly doesn't, but it's still very good and pros are no psu and it's also a DAC for recording. That was enough to persuade me although I do miss the sparkle of the 3leaf unit.

[quote name='edpirie' timestamp='1446580295' post='2900594']
I sold my 3leaf Enabler and bought the Bighead. The Bighead doesn't sound quite as good as the Enabler for bass, and the aux in certainly doesn't, but it's still very good and pros are no psu and it's also a DAC for recording. That was enough to persuade me although I do miss the sparkle of the 3leaf unit.
[/quote]

Cheers for that. I've had an enabler in the past so interesting you say the BigHead isn't quite up there with it. Food for thought for me.