Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Signature GVB36 Gerald Veasley (or any other bass with narrow string spacing)

Silent Fly

I’m try to find a shop somewhere in London where I can try an Ibanez Signature GVB36 Gerald Veasley. I called a shop that I relatively close to where I live (London/SW18), the web site showed "2 in stock" but apparently "[i]in stock[/i]" means "[i]in stock at the distributor warehouse"[/i] (!). So, if I want to try it, I have to buy it...

I have a Yamaha TRB-JP (1995) that is fantastic but I developed a tendinitis and the wide neck disagrees with my left hand. I tried 16.5mm basses and they are ok but I would like to find out if I can play something even narrower line the GVB36 (14mm).

Does anybody in London have a bass with string spacing narrower than 16.5mm that is kind enough to let me try it?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444033858' post='2879521']
I don't have it any more unfortuately but have you tried a warwick corvette?

I had a five string that sounded wonderful and had very very tight spacing at the bridge around 15mm at a guess.
[/quote]

Thanks for your suggestions CamdenRob.

I haven't tried a Warwick Corvette. I must admit that Warwick are not really my thing but for testing narrow spacing it should do the trick.

[quote name='Silent Fly' timestamp='1444053366' post='2879835']
Thanks for your suggestions CamdenRob.

I haven't tried a Warwick Corvette. I must admit that Warwick are not really my thing but for testing narrow spacing it should do the trick.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if they have the exact model you're looking for but I popped in Wunjos on denmark street last weekend and they had a fairly extensive selection of ibanez basses: the new ones with the nordy pickups looked great.

Maybe pop in there and give some a try?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1444120118' post='2880375']
I'm not sure if they have the exact model you're looking for but I popped in Wunjos on denmark street last weekend and they had a fairly extensive selection of ibanez basses: the new ones with the nordy pickups looked great.

Maybe pop in there and give some a try?
[/quote]

I went there a few week ago and they had a SR1206. Nice bass. The string spacing is 16.5mm.

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=3&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=65&color=CL01"]Ibanez SR1206[/url]

Edited by Silent Fly

If you are on the market for basses that have less than 16.5 mm spacing at the bridge then the GVB36 is pretty much the only choice.
I was in your position some time ago and apart from going custom the GVB is the only bass currently in production that is available to a certain extent and has less than 16.5mm spacing.

I know this is not really helpful or an aswer to your question, but thought I add my experiences.

Had I have still had my GVB I would have gladly come to see you Max! - I'm afraid I sold it in the end. As I understand it, when I got it, there were only three in the country. I suspect that figure probably hasn't changed much. My suggestion would be to go direct to the Ibanez UK distributor and instruct to have one sent to your nearest Ibby stockist. Kinda how I got mine in fact!

Ibanez have always been pretty brilliant with me so hopefully they'll do the same for you. As for the bass itself, well it's really nice actually. Maybe I should have spent more time with mine! I do agree though, the spacing feels very comfy on the left had for sure, but you will have to adjust your technique if you are used to a 19mm pacing on the right hand. But hey, I reckon you'll be fine! My Shukers are both 16mm and I find them fine to work with still.

There isn't much else you can get on the market with a 14mm spacing, but I believe that Kahler (maybe) do a bass bridge that can go down to 14mm spacing for custom builds. Which would be my next suggestion.

It was even narrower than I thought! 14mm
Here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267021-withdrawn-larrivee-rb2-custom-6-string-1989-through-neck-flame-maple-masterpiece/page__fromsearch__1

I believe it was also on ebay

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1445109317' post='2888905']
Nope, Not here it isn't

[/quote]

Wait a sec - what model is this? One of these?
Very interesting to find out if it is indeed! Now.. Fretless version....

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and ideas!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1445027352' post='2888341']
Had I have still had my GVB I would have gladly come to see you Max! - I'm afraid I sold it in the end.
[/quote]
No worries Dood.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1445027352' post='2888341']
(...) My suggestion would be to go direct to the Ibanez UK distributor and instruct to have one sent to your nearest Ibby stockist. Kinda how I got mine in fact!

Ibanez have always been pretty brilliant with me so hopefully they'll do the same for you.(...)
[/quote]

Unfortunatelly, my experience with the Ibanez UK distributor hasn't been as good as yours. I contacted them in two occasions via email for unrelated questions. They didn't even bother to answer.

It is a shame because Ibanez instruments are actually pretty good.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1445196723' post='2889562']
Wait a sec - what model is this? One of these?
Very interesting to find out if it is indeed! Now.. Fretless version....
[/quote]

Yes, it is one of those:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/267923-sterling-sub-5/page__fromsearch__1

My suggestion would be to speak to ACG.
I had Alan make me a 33" 6 string custom made with a 50mm nut and 16.5mm spacing, it was VERY comfortable, I've never really understood why 6 string necks have such wide nuts. Your average 5 string bass has a 45mm nut, yet 6 string basses seem to be 55mm and up! Why add a whole 10mm for a skinny little C string!?...

As far as sub 16.5mm bridge spacing, I think you'll have to go for monorail style things like on the GV bass, or perhaps the Kahler unit mentioned above, although ETS also custom make all their hardware, so they would likely be able to produce something to your liking too.

Best of luck, but I'm fairly sure if you can't find an Ibanez GV bass, custom will be your only option.

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

I've had this in my 'watching' list on Ebay for a while, I have no idea if they actually have one in stock or not but it might be worth contacting them if you're prepared to travel to Sheffield.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331215350578?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]Ebay Link[/url]

... and here's a second hand one for sale in London for a reasonable price.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IBANEZ-GVB36-6-string-bass-SLIGHTLY-USED-FREE-POSTAGE-/151837329134?hash=item235a35c6ee:g:hPgAAOSwgQ9V6FUy"]Here[/url]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1445336390' post='2890593']
(...) custom will be your only option.
[/quote]
Custom is an option I'm considering.

The SR1206 I tried was ok regarding the string spacing but the neck was a little bit to thick. It sounded very nice though.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1445337763' post='2890609']
... and here's a second hand one for sale in London for a reasonable price.
[/quote]

Thanks Rumple, I sent the person a message. Hopefully, he will allow me to try the bass.