Why become a member? ×

Does anyone here own a Hiwatt DR201 head?

Naetharu

Hi folks,

I've recently been playing in a band with a guitarist who uses one of the Hiwatt valve heads and the sound just blew me away. Given how nice it is I'm seriously considering one of their DR201 heads for bass.

The trouble seems to be that these amps are rare and I'm struggling to track one down that I might try out before laying down substancial cash. With that in mind I was wondering if anyone here has one and would be willing to let me have a little play with it sometime?

Also, I would be very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts / experiences with Hiwatt vavle heads.

All the best

James

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1443485388' post='2875229']
Hi folks,

I've recently been playing in a band with a guitarist who uses one of the Hiwatt valve heads and the sound just blew me away. Given how nice it is I'm seriously considering one of their DR201 heads for bass.

The trouble seems to be that these amps are rare and I'm struggling to track one down that I might try out before laying down substancial cash. With that in mind I was wondering if anyone here has one and would be willing to let me have a little play with it sometime?

Also, I would be very interested in hearing anyone's thoughts / experiences with Hiwatt vavle heads.

All the best

James
[/quote]

There are two versions of this amp; 6 x EL34 and 4 x KT88. Both are very powerful; I have a preference for the KT88, simply for the clean headroom. Not best suited for O/P valve 'grit', as these valves are very hard to 'bend'. Clean, chiming, natural... Rare indeed, so I cheat and use a DR205 PA head instead. Different tone stack, 6 I/Ps (I've used it at a French Bash with several basses and guitars plugged in at once...), but the same awesome power.
An anecdote..? Yes..? OK, then, but you'll have to be patiently seated...
I got the amp from a young lad in Kingston, Surrey. I popped over with our youngest to collect it, on foot; my elder brother picked us up from the ferry in a Jaguar. Parking in Kingston is not easy; we found the street, but had to park quite a fair way further down the street. Big Brother stayed in the car whilst we went to see the amp. The bloke brought us through to his back kitchen, where the amp was sitting atop of a 4x12 cab. He brought out a bass to plug in, and we twiddled about for a few minutes, the young'un on bass, and me turning the dials. All seemed to work just fine. The fellow then said "I'll show you that it's working well..." and fetched his Telecaster guitar. With no further warning, he plugged in, turned up the juice full belt and let out a power chord. I, and our youngest, leapt back about a yard and a half; we were stunned. We let the amp cool a bit, popped it into its flight case and carried it out to the car, about 500 yards down the street. Blinking heavy, are Hiwatts, but I digress... Elder brother had a concerned look on his face, and asked us what in the name of blazes had happened. He'd been quietly listening to the radio in the Jaguar when he heard this almighty crash from down the street. The sound had carried through the house, down the street and into a closed car, enough to make [i]him [/i]jump, too..! Oh how we laughed...
Loud..? Yes, these amps can get very, very loud. We don't play that way, and don't use tone controls anyway (straight 'plug'n'play', old school...), but the headroom is heavenly, right up to the sky. Excellent amps; wonderful for bass, but heavy. Very, very heavy.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='grenadilla' timestamp='1443739024' post='2877417']
In the States Reeves are a great copy for about $2500. Hi Tone are also Hiwatt -like. The new Hiwatts are supposed to be better than some made between 1980-2000. 70's versions are the most coveted.
[/quote]

Indeed; the Hi-Tone 200w is about as close as one gets to a vintage DR201...

[url="http://shop.hi-tone-amps.com/HI-TONE-HT200-DR-formerly-the-DR201-HT200DR.htm"]Hi-Tone HT200 ...[/url]

Indeed, there was much to pondered over concerning that outfit, not just Hiwatts. There are a fair number of, shall we say, less than pristine, heads around, built from slave heads pimped up to resemble original factory units, for instance. There is also a certain confusion of the use of the Hiwatt trade names after the original demise of the Kingston unit. There are tell-tale signs to look out for, if looking for a genuine vintage head, and consultation of the 'expert' sites would be recommended, to gen up on these. Still, when they're the 'real deal', they can't be beaten, imo. Is imitation (however shoddy...) not the sincerest form of flattery..?

Edited by Dad3353

I own a Hiwatt DR112 PA head. I use it for bass and guitar and it is just the best amp I have ever owned. The clean sounds it produces are just amazing. I used to gig it every weekend in a reasonably loud pub band and it had no problem keeping up with a loud drummer and guitarist even though it's 'only' 100 watts. As mentioned above, it is very heavy so now it only gets an outing if my back is not playing up. Mine is 41 years old and still going strong. I've never heard a 200watt Hiwatt, it must shake the ground!!!!

Jas

[quote name='Bigjas' timestamp='1443816197' post='2878002']
I've never heard a 200watt Hiwatt, it must shake the ground!!!!
Jas
[/quote]

They do a 400-watt head too! :blink: - I quote: "Please note, because of the sheer grunt of this amp, it should only be used with two full range cabinets or an equivalent array[url="http://www.hiwatt.co.uk/products/custom/bass-range/p/hiwatt-400w-bass-head"]"http://www.hiwatt.co...-400w-bass-head[/url]

And cheers for the heads up folks :) I'm really tempted with one - the weight is not so much of an issue to be honest and if the guitarists Hiwatt is anything to go by (added to the glowing reports on here) it sounds like it'll be well worth every penny. Interesting to know about the copies/issues with fake vintage ones too - cheers for that! I was thinking of just ordering a new one from Hiwatt directly but I may have a look around and see what there is in the way of vintage stuff too now.

Edited by Naetharu

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1443817262' post='2878014']...I was thinking of just ordering a new one from Hiwatt directly...
[/quote]

Have a 'Google' on the subject of Music Ground and Richard Harrison; there's a wealth of 'interesting' reading matter. Personally, as a Hiwatt fan, I'd be looking at Hi-Tone, Reeves and Mywatt (in that order...), or trying to be lucky in unearthing a genuine '70s vintage one. Here's another source of info on Hiwatts, old, new and fake...

[url="http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/index.php"]Vintage Amps forum ...[/url]

These are great amps; don't get 'conned' into buyng a 'duff' one.
Hope this helps.

My dream amp is the Hiwatt DR-201. Can't afford one, but have a Sound City L120 that's been modded to be more like a Hiwatt. If you can find a clean L120, particularly a version I, II or III, then a competent techie can convert them to sound indistinguishable from a Hiwatt DR-201. This is because Dave Reeves designed the first Sound City in the L120 series before setting up his own company.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1443818089' post='2878021']
Have a 'Google' on the subject of Music Ground and Richard Harrison; there's a wealth of 'interesting' reading matter. Personally, as a Hiwatt fan, I'd be looking at Hi-Tone, Reeves and Mywatt (in that order...), or trying to be lucky in unearthing a genuine '70s vintage one. Here's another source of info on Hiwatts, old, new and fake...

[url="http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/index.php"]Vintage Amps forum ...[/url]

These are great amps; don't get 'conned' into buyng a 'duff' one.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Very interesting and much appreciated! I had no idea that there was this issue with them - I'll be sure to be [i][b]very [/b][/i]careful.