Why become a member? ×

Get a double bass they said; loads more gigs they said.....

Bilbo

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1443611105' post='2876148']
So Jazz, Blues, Pop, Funk, Big Band and Latin not a wide enough selection, then? :lol:
[/quote]

It might or might not be up your street, and I don't know what the scene is like in your area, but folkies of various sorts love a double bass. Perhaps there could be some gigs to be had there?

Feeling this. It seems like a lot places are putting on bands of questionable quality who will play for peanuts or nothing at all, and I'm trying hard to break onto the established professional circuit but because my band is made up of my peers instead of 'names' I haven't had a single positive response from a venue.

The gigs I do get at the moment seem to be one-off 'event' type gigs which require a lot of preparation for only a small financial reward. Not great.

I'm not doing many functions at the moment, are most people with agencies or relying on contacts?

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1444214783' post='2881141'] freelancing is hard for everyone Rob... and getting worse it would seem. [/quote]

It's just picking up, Jake. I now have two gigs (both on electric and only one is paid) between now and my eventual death. It's grim!!